`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - oilrag
Intro.
It`generally accepted that `snake oil` is alive and well in America and the world over in `fuel additives`.
But what about UK engine oil and the thought processes that can cause a gravitation towards `cult` and away from logic?

The specs.
Some minor oil companies are `blenders` and as such would allegedly have less control of base stocks than major players with their own refineries. Given that ACEA specs seems linked with that - look very closely at the wording on the `cans`.

I mean closely, with a lawyers eye.

It`s long been accepted that the word `meets` is the only meaningfull term in the context of an oil spec and should be there on the can at the side of the spec.

It seems that `in accordance with` was the best that corporate lawyers would agree to - but that became generally rumbled as actually being meaningless as time went on.

Now it seems there is a new round of meaningless marketing jargon on cans of some blender only - very minor league oil companies - passed by company lawyers - that if it were human, would be a singing and dancing monologue - but without the word `meets` in the dictionary.

Funny word meets - it seems that if you put it on the can - your oil actually HAS to meet the spec...

Also look for outdated specs with `blenders` and contrast the general confidence when an oil such as Shell or Mobil 1 shows `meeting` specific engine manufacturers specs, such as MB.

The Human mind.
Speaking generally, I think that there is a vulnerability in the human psych (which must have had evolutionary advantage) for cults. in other words belief sytems. Its easy with exposure to be sucked in. The mind altered in its perception of what was once perhaps considered unacceptable - or more likely lacking insight and knowledge into its own nature.

Snake oil syndrome then - maybe ;-)

NB
You can just imagine a group of advertising bods sitting around a table with input from a Psychologist and a Lawyer - everthing from the shape of the can, to the last fullstop. Anything and everything to attract and get around the `meets` - that nasty little stick in the throat term that that major oil companies write so easily and clearly on the can.

Edited by oilrag on 27/04/2009 at 08:47

`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - nortones2
One way to resolve this is for car makers to list those oils which they know, by testing, to meet their standards, as well as ACEA categories. I know VAG do this. Nonetheless there are certain outlets that sell oils which they say are suitable, and maybe even "meet" VAG standards, but are not listed. Caveat emptor, as ever.
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - Number_Cruncher
This month's edition of Car Mechanics carries an article about fitting a hydrogen generation kit to a car.

Nowhere in the article were conservation of energy, or the laws of thermodynamics even hinted at - I wasn't looking for formulae or rigour, I would have been happy to see it written in laymans terms, something along the lines of "you can't get out more energy than you put in, in fact you'll usually get out quite a bit less". Not finding any such nod to reality, I replaced the magazine, but, onto the comics shelf, where I felt it belonged.
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - DP
I saw this too. Couldn't quite believe what I was reading.

This used to be such a good mag.
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - Old Navy
I havent seen the article yet, What power source are they using to split the hydrogen from the oxygen?
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - bell boy
probably a pp3 :-)
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - madf
"What power source are they using to split the hydrogen from the oxygen?"

A warp drive powered by dilithium crystals of course... or similar.. but certainly nothing in this world...
Unfortunately I bought the magazine a couple of days back. I`ve bought it for decades but won`t be doing so anymore.
The fuel consumption improvement for the car with the water injection fitted? That seemed to say it all really.. what was it? it seemed a ridiculous increase in economy.

The `trade news` . The allegedly Micra ignition switch problem, I was aware of that two years ago.
Wasn`t there something along the lines of advising not to take anything from scrapyards without paying in the previous issue?

That should have been the last straw, actually paying to read that. But old habits die hard. To be honest who needs any magazine these days with forums and reviews on the web?

Edited by oilrag on 27/04/2009 at 14:44

Anyway Lads, any views on the title ;-)

Cheers
`Snake oil syndrome` and minor league engine oil - Lygonos
The wording of any written literature on a product has been gone over with a fine tooth comb. Consider the word 'synthetic' for a minute....

I believe a court decided the word was a marketing term and thus can not be implied to mean anything about the contents of the bottle.
A warp drive powered by dilithium crystals of course... or similar.. but certainly nothing in this world...

Must be, a nuclear powered submarine can do it no problem, (the oxygen is handy for breathing), but it has the odd few megawatts of power around to do it with.
I find it often cheaper to buy the manufacturers spec oil from a main dealer, I always ask for a discount, and if refused, (very rare), I go to another dealer.