Are they worth a punt?? - john96
Are these any good as a long termer? Im currently driving a 626 which I do like however it is a bit rusty! What is taken my fancy are the 5 doors or estates, is the 1.6 the best all rounder, or is the diesel worth any extra outlay? Mileage no problem, but want a good specced one.
Driving mixture of local and distance, expect 10-12k per year.
All helpful suggestions, (even other cars!) welcome!!

Edited by Pugugly on 22/04/2009 at 19:53

Are they worth a punt?? - catsdad
We run a 99 1.6 (8 valve) as a second car. Had it since 4 months old, it was a hire car prior to that. Its only done 40k and its been mainly trouble free. Only big cost was £500 for an ECU and associated work at about 32k. Other than that its only had a couple of back boxes (low mileage rots these - typically 3-4 miles most days) and the aircon has packed in (£500 quote to repair so not bothered). Its galvanised and body work is great, no rust anywhere. Its cheap to service (about £150 from local main dealer inc MOT). Downsides are engine power (its only 75 hp) so I'd look for a more powerful 16v or bigger engine for the miles you do. Others on this forum have complained of poor seating comfort so it might pay to look for a high spec car. Also its a cam belt engine so you need to allow for changes. Power aside its really good to drive (I've had new Vectra, Saab, BMW 3, Mondeo 2.5 and Accord CDTi as the main car over the time we've had the Astra and it still feels well put together and no hardship to drive). Finally there are plenty to choose from so you can afford to be picky.
Are they worth a punt?? - William Stevenson
1994 1.6 16V Estate destroyed engine just before making 150,000 and 15 years- probably seized water pump. 41lifetime mpg. Kept outside it's whole life, and rust not bad when it died- not galvanised then. Whole exhaust up to engine replaced around 135,00, not too expensive even with cat. Not much else went wrong. Excellent car.
Are they worth a punt?? - TheOilBurner
We had an 03 1.6 16v. Fine car, not very exciting, but utterly reliable over several years.

We traded it in because we were bored of it really.

Change the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump every 40k and they'll last for donkey's years.

Expect so-so performance and fuel eocnomy, comfort is OK, equipment a bit lacking.

There's more enjoyable choices out there, but the Astra is a very good all rounder if you can live with its limitations.
Are they worth a punt?? - bell boy
i hate that 16valve lump we call it technogarbage
i love the old 8 valve
Are they worth a punt?? - redviper
I drive one on a 52 plate 8V 1.6

Had to have a relay replaced, and had a bit if a scare of rattly hydralic valve lifters, - but thats sorted now

Ive driven more comfortable cars, but then again im very tall, but its generally well screwed together, road noise is high - but then I just the stereo up more ;-)

runs cooler than the bigger engined cars, due to the same size rad than the larger engine sizes, but thats just a slight problem in the winter

I would agree, with Oilburner, if you can live with its limitations, and make sure you service
it when its required then it should be a good reliable run-around.

Edited by redviper on 23/04/2009 at 13:18

Are they worth a punt?? - catsdad
re 8 valve v 16 valve I believe that the 8v had a mid-life re-work (some more knowledgable poster will know when) with a small increase in power. So if you are tempted by the 8v may be worth looking out for a later one.
Are they worth a punt?? - Number_Cruncher
SWMBO runs a 53 reg Astra 1.6 8 valve which we bought at 6 months old and 10,000 miles. It has served us very well.

We have had the usual annoyance of the thermostat sticking open, which resulted in a water pump and cam belt change a little earlier than I was planning (this happened at 65,000 miles, and I was intending to do the lot at 80,000).

The EGR valve has made a nuisance of itself a time or two, causing some rough running, but, now that Vauxhall have updated the software for these engines to keep EGR shut all the time, I have blanked mine off, which has worked well.

Speaking of Vauxhall software upgrades, if you have, or get an older one, it's well worth while paying for an upgrade, there was one in 2004 / 2005 which made a world of difference to the drivability of the cars.

We have also had a front coil spring fail in the upper end, pigtailled coil - as the other spring was also showing similar signs of corrosion, I replaced them both, and new anti-roll bar drop links which were beginning to rattle a bit.

Earlier this year, the original rear silencer box failed due to corrosion, but, it was quite straight froward to fit a new one.

Servicing and working on the car really couldn't be easier - there's lots of room in the engine bay.

Other than that, it has needed only normal servicing, tyres, bulbs, wiper blades, and brakes. Although it isn't a driver's car, it does what we need it to do very well.
Are they worth a punt?? - bell boy
they are more pleasant to drive with no egr as they pick up from standing more smoothly