00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - 120kandstilllikenew
Hi, I am considering towing a caravan and I have been given some conflicting information regarding my gearbox. I have read that I might need to install and extra tranmission fluid cooler, but I cannot find too much info about this. My local dealer tells me (not very confidently) it's not necessary, but I thought it best to check here with the real experts ;-)
My car is well maintained and looked after and I will be towing well within the guide weight limits.
Any light you guys can shed is much appreciated, and any recomendation where to find info is also appreciated

Cheers
00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - bell boy
no ones replied so heres my take
its 9 years old
all components are not at their best
the extra strain could well stress anything from a bottom hose to the box going pop
i wouldnt go to the expense to be honest,i see you enjoy your car so why break it for a sodden weekend in bridlington in a farmers field
00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - Armitage Shanks {p}
These people might offer advice but, as they sell gearbox oil coolers, they might be biased! www.autoboxes.co.uk/services.html

I don't quite follow bellboy's reply. He seems to say don't go to the expense of fitting a cooler as you don't want to breakdown in a field. I guess you would be fitting one to reduce the chance of that heppening. I think a fitted cooler could cost more than your car is worth!

00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - doctorchris
I think Bellboy is arguing against the dubious pleasures of caravanning, especially in the UK.
00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - Paul G1pdc
what about looking into the cost of hiring a car...
that way you could go for a 4x4 so you'll be able to pull the caravan / horsebox out of this muddly field...(stick it in low range and off you go...
auto box on a wet/muddy field could be fun!!!!
00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - Falkirk Bairn
Honda had problems with this autobox and gave repairs foc far beyond the 3 yrs warranty.

If you must tow get the fluid changed if it is anything but bright pink!
00 2.0 Towing with an automatic - injection doc
My friend towed a van with an accord 2.0 auto & it suffered with very soft rear suspension & the autobox overheating dispite the dealers advice that it would be fine.
He had an oil change & a big cooler fitted & never a problem after that apart from softly sprung at the rear.