Parking on the Mall - Doc
On a recent (pedestrian) trip to central London, I noticed that there are no yellow lines or signs in the Mall, but they begin as double yellows as you go under Admiralty Arch towards Trafalgar square.

As I am sure parking is not permitted in the Mall, how is the restriction enforced?

Parking on the Mall - scouseford
> how is the restriction enforced?<

Rigorously!!!
Parking on the Mall - oldnotbold
Have you ever looked down the barrel of a gun from the wrong end?

Edited by oldnotbold on 19/04/2009 at 22:11

Parking on the Mall - RobertyBob
Not only can you not park within the Royal Parks (of which The Mall is part) you cannot drive a commercial vehicle within them.

I once tried to drive a hire van in front of Buckingham Palace and was told, quite firmly, by a PC that I couldn't.
Parking on the Mall - ifithelps
Yep, no signwritten vehicles in the Royal Parks.

As other posters have said, you're in the fiefdom of the House of Windsor, and what they say, goes.

On a more serious point, there are plans to introduce a 'presumed restriction' zone in the centre of Durham City.

You have to presume you cannot wait/park, unless a sign says you can.

The point of this is there will be no need for loads of double yellow lines, which are deemed to spoil the look of what is a World Heritage Site.

Makes a bit of sense, actually.

Parking on the Mall - bathtub tom
Durham.

That's the place with the conjestion zone that you pay to leave!
Yep, bit like a multi-storey car park.

I'm not generally in favour of road pricing, but there's no doubt the limited central bit of Durham City to which the congestion charge applies is a much more pleasant place to be since it was introduced.

Parking on the Mall - bell boy
you dont mention the other side of the city where the bus station is and the large underground park area
i worked in this once thriving city for 2 years and now it look like a ghost town here as shops have shut
i think all this namby pamby no parking is a complete farce in durham
bell boy,

The congestion charge applies to the peninsula only, it's a dead end and there was hardly any parking up there, anyway.

North Road - the area around the bus station - has always been the cheaper end of town, but if you walked along it tomorrow, you won't find many empty shops.

Equally, the 'posh' bit around Market Place and Prince Bishops centre is more or less fully let.

I'm not saying Durham City is the country's centre of retail prosperity, but it's not doing too badly for what is only a small town of about 75,000 people.

One example - Woolworths shut in January and there's been a bidding war to take over the premises.
woolworths still empty
i had the shop opposite
i know the town well
as a matter of fact i was there about 5 weeks ago and a usual twerp in a pickup nearly knocked me down as he drove up to the cathedral and spoke on the phone (him on phone not me does L200 ring any bells apart from the big ones on the hill)
durham was destroyed (1980 ish)when the lower shopping centre was built and its the only place i ever got a parking ticket
..woolworths still empty...

bell boy,

Just for your interest, whitewash on the windows and shopfitters beavering away today.

Word has it there's an application in for a travelator, so it looks like the new retailer is going to use both floors.

That'll be a canny big shop, for Durham.
New pound shop maybe?
or a 99p shop?
cant think of many other retailers other than tk max or matalan? could use all that space
thanks for the uddate
i always use the steps by the way its a habit of mine,nearly killed me last month though when our hotel room was on the seventh floor in spain
Parking on the Mall - Lud
Pretty place, Durham, with its pink cathedral. Friend of mine went to university there but decided not to become a vicar after all...

Question for bell boy and/or ifithelps: do people from Durham pronounce their Rs in the Northumbrian or French manner (sounding - motoring link! - like doodlebugs or heavily tweaked flat-four VWs in the distance)? Green Park and St James's Park used to allow parking. I have often parked there. Can't remember it being allowed in the Mall though, just Birdcage Walk.

Edited by Lud on 20/04/2009 at 16:19

...New pound shop maybe?
or a 99p shop?...

Word on the street is Tesco.

Tesco 'will not confirm or deny' their interest.

Everyone around here is taking that as a "yes".

They already have a small grocery outlet nearby in North Road.

My bet is a limited range of fresh food for immediate consumption and the rest non-food - TV, electricals, homewares etc.

As regards local pronounciation, I'll go for the 'heavily-tweaked VW flat four in the distance'.

Edited by ifithelps on 20/04/2009 at 16:51

Parking on the Mall - Lud
Thank you ifithelps. Dughgham it is then...
Parking on the Mall - henry k
>>Word on the street is Tesco.

The two nearest larger Tescos have both put in travelators that take trolleys to the upper floor so that might be a clue to who is coming.
Parking on the Mall - Bill Payer
You have to presume you cannot wait/park unless a sign says you can.

Many town and city centres have controlled parking zones.
Parking on the Mall - Doc
........anyway, back to the Mall!

Perhaps DVD will come along soon with a legal answer.