01 2.0 Battery - Canterbury
Should a battery which is in good order, retain its charge after it has been removed from the vehicle if it is kept clean and dry in the garage? If so, for how long approximately?
01 2.0 Battery - Simon
Yes in theory, but it will naturally discharge over a period of time, say over the course of a few months. An old but servicable battery won't retain its charge in this manner as good as a new one. Oh and don't keep then on a cold concrete floor because that will make them discharge much faster than if kept on a block of wood for example.
01 2.0 Battery - Roger Jones
I've just reconnected my Capri 2.8i battery after six months of dormancy and no recharging. It's 5.5 years old and from Kwik-Fit. No problems at all: car started first time.
And a couple of hours later I've reconnected the MB Coupé battery, dormant for six months, 4.5 years old, Bosch Silver. Car started instantly, no problems
In case it is of interest to anyone, the Kwik-Fit battery referred to above has just died. Kwik-Fit's replacement price is over £100; I've just bought a Bosch Silver S5004 from Costco for £48.28.