Honda Prelude advice? - edisdead {P}
Can anyone help with some general advice about this car please.
I'm thinking of getting a low mileage 1995/96 2.0i auto. (ie. late 4th gen, not 5th gen).
Given that i'm more concerned with cruising in comfort than blasting around like a maniac, I think the 2.0 engine would suit me fine - I'm not fussed for the 2.2 vtec. Does the auto transmission give a good smooth ride? I've driven accords and civic autos and always liked them. What sort of fuel economy do you realistically get from the Prelude? Is it quiet on the motorway? How much should I pay for one? Any other advice, +/- points?
Cheers.
Honda Prelude advice? - Steve S
Servicing and parts costs may be high. Usual checks for abuse or damage by the over-enthusiastic that you would undertake for any sporty car would be about it I would think. Have you checked HJ's car-by-car?
I have found a 95N 2.0 auto with just 30k on the clock, advertised at £4k private sale. The 'one lady owner' says it's in excellent nick and has full SH. Very tempted.
The car-by-car guide was useful. If anyone has specific advice/experience as per above, I'd appreciate it.
Honda Prelude advice? - M.M
By a coincidence I have a June 1996 2.0 here today for service and coolant change. Owner bought it earlier this year at a rather low 36,000 miles but that looks genuine, these cars are often bought by those who do little mileage.

My overall impression is that it is superbly built and should last ages if expertly serviced. Just after purchase I did a major inspection/service on this one including cam/balance shaft belts, all filters, brake fluid replacement, transmission oil change etc etc.

Very harsh car to drive/ride in though. Quite difficult to get in/out of front seats and those wide doors are a pain to open in parking spaces.

Ask me any specifics.

MM
Cheers MM. At motorway cruising speeds - what's the level of road/engine noise like? I've heard varying reports.
Honda Prelude advice? - M.M
Perhaps the smooth surface of the motorway where the car has ample power to safely adapt to the traffic flow is where it will impress, together with its ability on gently undulating main roads with 4th/5th gear corners.

It isn't nearly as quiet as many "lesser" hatchbacks but the ever present slightly harsh engine note is part of the car's character. Don't get me wrong I'm not running it down, merely trying to describe how it feels. If you liked that type of character you would not be aware of it.

As a matter of interest the owner has previously run much "softer" cars and now he's got over the initial excitement of growling about behind that wide bonnet he's wondering if it isn't quite the car he expected. In fact he specifically asked me to look at the engine this time as he felt the excess noise may be related to a fault. No it's fine, just the way they all are.

The only long shot I can think of is that he's just replaced the Honda exhaust with a pattern system and I'm sure this has hardened the engine note even more.

You do know the back seats are only suitable for up to about a five year old (no legroom). In fact it is a very tight cabin all round for the overall size of the body.

MM
Honda Prelude advice? - T Lucas
I've sold lots of that model Prelude mostly 2.2 Vtec with probably even split between manual&auto.The Vtec is a wonderful engine it will rev for England or maybe Japan,the auto is a very smooth change,the manual is also very good.Just about faultless apart from one that the distributer went down,sourced a 2nd hand one complete via Find a Part,about £60 delivered,and about 10 mins to fit.All my Preludes i import from Japan, from late '91 to '96.Can be a bit noisy on the road but tyre choice will make a big difference.For not much money you can have a very satisfying drive,with reliability.If you dont like harsh ride stay away from any that have been lowered or budget to return to standard.