98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - freman
Does the repair of an exhaust system silencer with a proprietary epoxy-resin bandage trigger a 'Fail' on a M.O.T test ? Assuming it is correctly done of course.
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - bell boy
So long as the exhaust is structurally safe and your repair is leak free then it should only flagged as an advise
Thank you Bellboy.
About 2 weeks ago approx 2 meters of what appeared to be glass-fibre strands trailed out of the tail-pipe, I cut it off with scissors & there aws no extra noise Yesterday a hole appeared in the rear box so as a makeshift I wired a piece of tin can round the box which is obviously asking for M.O.T. trouble .
It still has the original cat but the centre and rear section was replaced about 2 years ago and is still shining like a sweeps backside
I will give it a go on the M.O.T in a few weeks time they can only fail it after all
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - doctorchris
The glass-fibre coming out of the tail pipe indicates that the interior of the exhaust system is falling apart and a hole in the back box indicates that the exterior has failed.
Unless you are seriously skint I don't think there's any point in repairing this exhaust as it will soon fail elsewhere.
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - TurboD
I don't believe it, for that car, get down to Partco - or similar- and get a new rear box for buttons, far better than wasting time and money o repair rubbish
IMHI - and from experience. And I would always say a bodge will get a fail a decent MOT garage
And I would always say a bodge will get a
fail a decent MOT garage

unfortunately TurboD you dont know how vosa now tell the designated garages to do the mot test
its pass and advise
no more
no less
its pathetic
i agree
im against the current system but i know more about cars but less about degrees and blue skies
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - Lud
I've bodged lots of exhausts. It's horrible to do and never lasts long. It's never worth it except as a get-you-home measure, and it's a bit like hard work just to get you home.
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - Rattle
My Corsa needs a new back box, repair kit from Halfords, £5, cost of a new back box including labour £40.

There is no point on even risking the £5 on kind of bodge. Mine has not completly gone yet as there is only a very minor blow but I can clearly see the back box has rotted away.
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - spikeyhead {p}
The last time I repaired an exhaust was with the aid of a tin of peas (contents removed first) and some wire "borrowed" from a nearby fence.

Wouldn't dream of doing anything other than that to get me beck on the road.
bachelors?
i used to love the bright green colour of them as a kid
Well done Spikeyhead.
My effort differed from yours in only minor details,the repair material is from a can of Lidls potatoes and like you I removed the contents first,The wire is from a piece of armoured power cable.
This will get me to the local exhaust centre to get a replacement which is due in next week.
It's strange how feathers get ruffled when my original question was to settle an argument on whether a repaired pipe was O.K M.O.T wise or not,to which I have had one relevant answer.(Bellboy)
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - jc2
Here you are:-

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness
2. With the engine running
a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound
b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

From the tester's manual.
Thank you jc2,exactly the information I was looking for,factual, precise and to the point as it should be if it was taken from the testers manual.
I think that with some of the replies I received the authors are unable to distinguish between a so-called 'bodge' and an effective repair
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - Lud
unable to distinguish between a so-called 'bodge' and an effective repair

A repair is a bodge. When exhaust components fall apart, nearly always as a result of corrosion, they can be repaired with silencer bandages, gun-gum or other gunge and in really bad cases a cat's cradle of iron wire and bits of tin. These are all bodges, and as I said even the simplest of them is unpleasant to do. And they never, or hardly ever, last long enough to justify the effort.

The only effective long-term solution is to replace the damaged section of exhaust, be it a pipe, a silencer or both. It isn't a 'repair' though, it's a replacement (as with an oil filter or brake pads).
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - Quicksilver
My old 1989 AX 11RE has had a ?bodge? repair on the exhaust pipe for the last 4 years. It is always mentioned at the MOT as an advisory but it never fails for this as it is an effective gas tight repair.

The repair is a two ?Holts? Gun Gum bandages wrapped around the main exhaust pipe close to the end that attaches itself to the silencer. The Gun Gum bandages are double wrapped for strength and are held on by industrial strength cable ties, (building duct type). This is the original exhaust pipe and has suffered some stress related failure due to the flexing of the exhaust system. The repair just stops the flexing in this area and has been fine for 4 years.

I was going to replace it and vowed I would wait until the exhaust pipe failed. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) this has still not happened.

For me my repair is a temporary bodge which just happens to have lasted 4 years!

Q.
This is the exact point I am trying to make. As my exhaust system is about 2 years old and the rear silencer is the only part to show any deterioration I don't think an effective repair can be classed as a bodge.

Whose talking about long term on an 11 year old car that is due for an M.O.T in a few weeks time ? Hang on to it for a bit longer and who knows it may be worth £2000 instead of the £500 Iwas offered for it in p/ex for a 1 year old Focus a few weeks ago.
There you are Lud the old banger is now worth £2000,so roll on May wwhen I can go shopping for a new one. I have had a car for 61 years but never a new one so as it will probably be my last I intend to indulge myself.
B.T.W I had a new exhaust box fitted and also had a punctured tyre bodged while I was there, I think it was caused by someone doing a bodge job on the road.
98 1.6 Exhaust Repair - slawo
snip

If you wish to advertise on this site, then please click on the following link:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/advertise/ads.htm

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/04/2009 at 13:25