Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - kpm197
hi, do i need to replace a pair of brake hoses? the mot advised that one of the brake hoses is deteriorated. ive been on a 25 mile round trip to pick up a pair but they only had one. if i have to replace both ill swallow it up and go back, but if it wont affect the performance or safety ill just swap the deteriorated hose. incidentally ill bleed both sides regardless.

thanks, kristian
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - FotheringtonThomas
No, you don't have to.
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - oldnotbold
Assuming they are the same age, if one is perishing, then so will the other quite soon, so it'd be ideal to do them both, but not compulsory.
If they are all of the same age, then does it not follow that all similar components should be replaced, front, back, sides? Perhaps other components, too? No. Ditto brake pipes - because one is faulty, should they all be replaced?
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - bell boy
no
not for mot purposes but maybe for peace of mind
because if you aint got peace of mind you aint got nothing
not a lot of people know that
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - kpm197
i wasnt sure if they were classed as consumables- tyres, brake pads, bushes, all replaced in pairs.
if a hose deteriorates and doesnt perform as well as a new one i could end up with uneven braking performance.
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - oldnotbold
"if a hose deteriorates and doesnt perform as well as a new one"

The hose will either split, and empty all your brake fluid on the road, or more likely, develop what the medics call an aneurysm which is like a big internal blister and then you'd have far less stopping power, as it expands when you press the pedal, and does not make the slave cylinder activate.
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - madf
I have always replaced as a pair when I did it: purely as a precaution. In one case I used hose clamps to prevent fluid loss and the internal walls of the 15 year old hose collapsed and refused to pass fluid.

(Which shows how badly they can deteriorate).

As a safety item, I would replace the other as soon as a spare became available...

Edited by madf on 09/04/2009 at 17:01

Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - Harleyman
Not essential; but I would definitely consider it because they can often be a swine to do, especially if you're considering keeping the car for a while.

A good chance also for a thorough inspection of the brake pipes, to ensure one isn't on its way out before the next MOT. Ditto for calipers.
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - ex-Triumph man
Always good engineering practice to change hoses in pairs. Same applies to shockabsorbers, tyres, road springs etc
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - bell boy
Always good engineering practice to change hoses in pairs. Same applies to shockabsorbers tyres road
springs etc

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> i always think its proper blue sky thinking by marketing people sat round a desk
>>>>>>>>>>its only a car change what needs changing no more no less
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - L'escargot
i always think its proper blue sky thinking by marketing people ......

As in .......

"Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see" ?

change what needs changing no more no less

I agree bell boy.

So, if you think you ought, for some reason, to change both (which is ridiculous) - then you ought to replace *all* the brake hoses on the car, front, back, N/S, O/S.

Don't forget to replace all your tyres, too, should you get a blow-out... all your brake pipes, should one be rusty... all your wheel bearings, should one fail... all the ball joints, should one wear... both CV boots and inboard boots, should one split... all brake caliphers, should one leak...

Well... you get the picture.
Do I need to replace a PAIR of brake hoses? - motorprop
I would look at the maths : say to change one is a half day of hassle ( delivery / collection to and from garage , or DIY ) plus say £60 - 70, but to change both is a half day and £100, then it's a no-brainer , do the both .