Who is David Hardcastle? - Armitage Shanks{P}
Government adviser David Hardcastle (wonder if he holds a driving licence and who is he anyway?) says that the government should agree to implement road charging, in the Sout-East at least, within 2 years to prevent grid lock. I am obviously missing something here! We already have road charges in the form of onerous taxation on every aspect of our driving and the money is handled in a way which makes Enron look quite honest. As I understand it, less than 30% of the vast sums extorted from motorists are actually spent on the roads and infrastucture. I don't have any problem with paying charges to use some roads, once what we have already paid is spent on what it was collected for. If they were more honest about the budget they wouldn't need to top it up with pathetic "s************s", located on long straight stretches of safe road, or dual carriageways with 40 limits, which you join from single lane roads with a 60 limit.
Who is David Hardcastle? - Tim
I don't know who David Harcastle is but believe what you are referring to is the draft Regional Transport Strategy for the South East that can be found here .....
www.southeastra.gov.uk/regional_policies/transport.../
Closing date for public consultation is 18th Sept?? Its definitely worth looking at and making comments to the Regional Assembly, the comments on congestion charging possibilities form part of a new transport strategy for the south east. Have a committee report to write on it in the next couple of days which is why I recommend you take a look.

Tim
p.s. It has an online forum too so over to you Bogush!
Who is David Hardcastle? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
There was a motoring journalist called David Hardcastle some years ago. He worked for Motor , Car & CCC, IIRC.
Who is David Hardcastle? - bogush

Moron Kengestion Charging!

Independent - Hard to Credit!

As the BBC reports:

Congestion charging is 'inevitable'

Wednesday, 11 September, 2002

"Congestion charging is inevitable to prevent roads like the M25 motorway around London from becoming gridlocked, according to a leading government road transport adviser."

"David Hardcastle's team of consultants have made a preliminary recommendation that road pricing should be introduced if the M25 is widened at least in the south east and preferably throughout the country......"

"....Postponing the decision on charging could plunge the south east into gridlock and cause grave damage to the national economy, he says."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2250679.stm

Is this the same Mr Hardcastle who is a director of transport planning at engineering group KBR?

Study backs M25 charges

by David Williams, Evening Standard Motoring Editor

.......We are proposing the application of area-wide road-user charging, and preferably a national scheme, which will tend to hold the traffic levels at what they were before the widening took place." He does not say how much the charge should be but wants satellite "tracking" devices on all cars.......

......Mr Hardcastle, who is also director of transport planning at world-renowned engineering group KBR, in Leatherhead, Surrey, says: "Drivers aren't charged for the total costs they impose on society. The outcome would be very grave if ministers don't follow some form of congestion charging. The economy would be hit........

www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/classifieds/motorin...7

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder what it will do to the economy of KBR as they also seem to design and manage transport telematics, traffic control and tolling systems................