99 1.9td dead turbo - bigkaz
hi i have the above car with 130k on the clock but over the past 10k miles or so the turbo has lost some kick to the point where theres virtually no boost at all now. Is this something that would be repairable or is the turbo integral to the engine also fuel economy has come down drastically would the two issues be connected or should i be looking for a new car as always deeply grateful for any help or advice provided. Ps has been regularly serviced over past 3 years so has been looked after at least by me anyway!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/04/2009 at 20:00

99t 1.9td dead turbo - andrewuwe
I would have thought that a working turbo would consume more fuel...have you checked the basics? Air Filter? Get someone to drive behind and check for smoke presence/colour
99 1.9td dead turbo - rossinatrench
Hi

I check the intercooler and the air intake after the turbo to see if any of these are cracked - its the most simple cause for something like you are describing. If not this then check the small tube running off the turbo to the fuel pump encase of any wear - this opens a diaphragm to help deliver more fuel during boost to essentially go faster. If these don't help then it is quite possibly you're turbo especially - as you mention that fuel consumption is worse this is possibly because you are delivering the fuel without a rise in pressure meaning the compressed air from the turbo isn't getting to the cylinder aiding combustion.

Hope this helps

Ross
99 1.9td dead turbo - Peter.N.
130k is not a lot of miles for an XUD engine or turbo. I would follow the suggestions already made, its more likely that you have a air leakage problem than that the turbo itself has failed.
99 1.9td dead turbo - gouger
Air filter change every 18k is critical on these.Economy and power suffer noticably
99 1.9td dead turbo - MikeTorque
If it's belching out black smoke then best solution is to replace with a newer car and be done with it, there are plenty of good models to choose from out there.