urgent advice needed !!!! - meltonlad
i have just got my toledo 1.8 20v se yr 2000. i did every thing that i should have done before handing over the cash. looked at, test drove it, checked out mot history online, did hpi check and so on. but now ive got it home ive driven all of 9 miles and found a water leak (only leaks when warm) but the biggest problem is i think the head may have gone ive got some creamy stuff on the oil cap but not on dip stick.... i rang the dealer i got it from and he said it was condensation been standing for 8 weeks but i think he talking pink fluffy dice ..... i checked the oil and oil cap before the test drive but i think he may have cleaned it up before hand... i paid 2k for it with 3 months warranty but WHY should i have to claim on that when the problem was there from the start. plus will the warranty company pay out they could just put it down to wear and tear.... what should i do and where do i stand...... please help me if you can

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/03/2009 at 21:56

urgent advice needed !!!! - Altea Ego
it home ive driven all of 9 miles and found a water leak (only leaks
when warm)

where?
the dealer i got it from and he said it was condensation been standing for
8 weeks but i think he talking pink fluffy dice

thats possible.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/03/2009 at 21:57

the water leak is to the right of the engine three water hoses join onto a black plastic bit which is bolted to the side of the head. there is a lot of the creamy stuff ive cleaned it once then left the car running for 15 mins and yet again there was creamy stuff !!!!
urgent advice needed !!!! - bathtub tom
It'll need a good long drive to clear it if it is condensation, fifty miles at least. Leaving it ticking over for fifteen minutes may only create more moisture.

If it is the HG, then a longer run may cause a drop in the coolant level.

A neighbour just bought a second hand A class Merc from the local MB dealer. That had mayo in the oil filler, as did every other A class there. They were driven onto the forecourt every morning and back again every night - about fifty yards each day!
urgent advice needed !!!! - DP
I agree with Tom's advice above. Mayo can occur on any engine that's not warmed up frequently.

If it is a head gasket, and there's enough coolant/oil mixing to generate mayo like this, you should notice the coolant level dropping.
urgent advice needed !!!! - bell boy
meltonlad i sometimes have to clean mayo out of rocker tops prior to customers accusing me of selling a car with a headgasket gone so i take this bit with a pinch of salt,especially as you say the dipstick is clean
anyway you say there is a definative water leak from the engine when warm so this is obviously a fault
is car pitch a bomb site with a shed for an office or does it have repair facilities
if bomb site i would return car and ask for a refund
if it has repair facilities im sure they will repair it free
i would never buy a car from a patch of land and a sales office no matter how many flags they have up
i personally think that offering customers 3 months warranty by a third party on the end of a phone stinks
urgent advice needed !!!! - 1400ted
I agree as well, have a look at the dipstick, water in the oil can show up as 'salad cream' ( we're poor). Give the car a good run and keep an eye on the temperature gauge. If it comes up to the boil, stop and call out the rescue.
I don't know whether your car has a proper gauge or just a light but many cars run now at much higher temp than years ago. My Jowett runs at 70 degrees but my daughter's Punto ran at nearer to 100 Good luck

Ted
urgent advice needed !!!! - Lud
Yes Ted, cars used to be grossly overcooled to allow for summer traffic jams, but cooling equipment works better now so they run at the right temperature a bit more often.

As for mayonnaise, if it's built up a bit from many short journeys or a dodgy thermostat, it might easily take a while to dry up and disperse. Edinburgh and back flat out might just about do it. Trouble is, it looks so rotten a lot of people think it's an infallible sign of a serious fault when it's nothing of the sort. It can be, but it it usually isn't.
well ive been back to the dealer today and he is going to fix the water leak and also fix the remote locking and as for the mayo i do agree with all you lot a good run of 50 plus miles is called for and then check it over. the dealer was more than helpful today. i was expecting the tuff luck mate but im happy that it will be sorted. thanks for all the replys.