citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - rich201283
i have a citroen zx 1.9 diesel can anyone give me any advice on how i can improve the performance?
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - BrianW
You've already asked this
maybe if i get real answers coz there must b things i can do
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - Baskerville
I reckon you had plenty of sensible answers originally, but your impatience probably indicates this is not the right engine for you. On the up side these are brilliant long distance engines, with fantastic fuel economy even by today's standards, and very relaxing if you don't push them hard. Once you figure out where the power is (2500-3000 revs I suspect) there's plenty for normal driving. But thrash them over 3500 revs and you'll go nowhere. Acceleration is certainly no good for the traffic light grand prix. If you want more power for acceleration purposes (and who knows, maybe a bit of wheelspin to impress your mates), it's going to be cheaper to swap it for a Turbo D.

Chris
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - M.M
rich,

In our own ways we did all try to help but......

Give us a full question to answer then.

What is the exact model, body and year of your car? Turbo or not? Mileage? Any maintenance issues to resolve that may help the way it runs? At what revs do you find the power lacking? What is its use...town/main road/motorways?

David W
citroen zx 1.9 diesel non turbo m reg 65k i would a k&n help gain power? if i got the pump or the injection pressure turned up would that help?
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - M.M
rich,

This is meant to be serious and helpful to you....OK! It also often applies for most folks who wish to increase the performance of their cars....buy the next model up in the range.

Your non-turbo Citroen will plod on for another 200,000 miles from it's current mileage if looked after. What it will never be is a performance machine. The diesel pump settings and timing are all tied in with other aspects of the engine design such as valve sizes, valve timing, combustion chamber design etc etc. To change one apparently simple setting isn't the answer.

A "sports" air filter may make more noise but is unlikely to give any measureable gain in performance.

It really is true that the cheapest way to increase the performance of your vehicle is to sell it and buy a TD. The performance gains are staggering from an engine design point of view...power up 27% and torque up by a massive 63%.

I bet if you gave a tuning engineer an unlimited budget and your car he couldn't reach these figures on a "one-off" basis for £4000.

But you *could* get this by tidying your car and selling it privately then putting a few pounds to it to get a similar aged TD. It is that simple.

David W
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - Dynamic Dave
i have a citroen zx 1.9 diesel can anyone give me
any advice on how i can improve the performance?

Very steep hill and gravity perhaps :o)
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - Dave N
What is it they say, 'You can't polish a poo'?
citroen zx 1.9 diesel tuneing - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Rich,

Having owned both a 1.9D and my present Turbo D, I agree with David. We are not spinning you a yarn!!.

The 1.9D is a fine machine and will cruise over 70 mph all day.

However, Throttle response is tardy at this speed. If you are on a motorway and want to pull out from lane 2 to lane 3, you will not be able to do this easily on a busy motorway as the response is slow.

The Turbo D is superb in this respect. The Turbo is really the be all and end all. It transforms it from a workhorse to a warm/hot hatch in the mid-range.

There is nothing you can do with regard to valves, port polishing and pump tweaks. In fact, tweaking the pump will just give you loads of black smoke. The sports air filter will give it induction roar and not much gain (take it from someone who's tried and reverted back. Having been a reader of Diesel Car magazine for 8 years, the tuning subject is a well trodden road.

You can tune a Turbo engine for more power, but you can't do anything with a naturally aspirated engine.

Ther'll always be a buyer for a 1.9D as they are a good workhorse. If you want performance, the Turbo version is your answer. I've had mine 6 years now in Estate form and it's still a cracker.

Take our advice - I hope you seek what you find soon.

Regards - Jon S