03 2.2 turbo failures - campbes
It appears the saga of the failing turbo continues.
Usual story, black smoke, lack of power.
A phone call to Nissan and they advise repair bill of £1800 !!
From experience, could it be anything else, ie loose pipes, etc, or am I confined to replacing the whole unit?
03 2.2 turbo failures - mfarrow
It could be a pipe come off - best to have it checked out.
03 2.2 turbo failures - Peter D
Have you had the fualt codes read. It could be over boosting and going into limp mode. If the turdo had failed I would not expect black smoke, that is over fuelling. so either an air leak after the AMM or a control valve/EGR problem. Regards Peter
03 2.2 turbo failures - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The intercoolers split on these for a hobby. Usually evident with oil leaking out of the intercooler where it has fallen apart. Check the hoses too for splits or tears.
03 2.2 turbo failures - campbes
Had a diagnositc check, and no faults showing. Turbo checked and appears to be ok.
Nissan suggest it may be ECU or injector problem, air mass meter or EGR valve.
So on the plus side, no need to replace the turbo, downside - but still trying to find the problem !!
03 2.2 turbo failures - xtrailman
campbes
Not sure why black smoke is linked to a failing turbo, not heard that one before.

I have read though that black smoke, as said, was the result off a faulty injector.

The intercoolers i have read about did not split, but weeped oil from the front LHS, put your had under the intercooler, if it comes away clean it should be ok.

Mine failed like that in the first year, it was changed and has not failed to date, that makes it over 4 years old. Mine was replaced with a new version.
I had no loss of power, and only knew of the leak because of the oil drip on the garage floor.
03 2.2 turbo failures - ED731PDH
Engine oil, cooling the turbo, leaking past the labyrinth seals into either the intake or exhaust outlet line. Kills the cat and drains the sump with a possibility of catastropic engine failure as the engine runs on oil rather than diesel. Only way to stop the engine in these cases is to physically stall it.

Have seen this sort of thing on older marine diesels (Sulzer and English Electric types) where they have had oil get into the intake or in one case a dipstick of an apprentice cleaned the intake filters in paraffin and re-installing wet.