Passat Electric Windows - Robin
I left my Passat (1998 model) parked outside a hotel for 14 days whilst on holiday. When I came back to collect it, all 4 of the windows were fully open. I had definitely left the car with all the windows shut. The key and remote control were with me on holiday. In order to open the windows the key needs to be in the ignition.

My question is: could this be an electrical fault which caused the windows to open by themselves and that I should therefore be worried about OR have the ToeRags found a way to open windows from the outside.

My portable CD player, which was in the glove box, was missing so someone had certainly been having a look inside but the alarm was not going and the car started first time (ie not run down by a ringing alarm). Should I be worried that someone could have written down the VIN and registration number? If so, what should I do?

Any input gratefully received.
Passat Electric Windows - Dynamic Dave
Robin,

Sorry I can't advise on your elecy windows, but in reply to worrying about someone writing down the VIN and registration number, Vauxhalls have displayed the VIN on the dashboard of their cars for quite a while now. Some other manufacturers used to etch the VIN on the windows. So I think you have little to worry about on that score.
Passat Electric Windows - Tim
"In order to open the windows the key needs to be in the ignition"
Think that the Passats windows can also be opened by turning the key in the lock to a certain point. Are you sure you didn't do this when locking the car up?
Passat Electric Windows - Big Vern
Check your door locks carefully. for more info see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=45...0

Passat Electric Windows - Robin
I cannot believe how easy it is to get into my car. I tried the trick with the key and Hey Presto, the windows opened.

I came back from hols on Saturday, and found the windows open. This was at a hotel near heathrow On Monday morning, at home in Gloucester, I found the drivers door lock had been removed. Instantly thought that some scroat had been trying to break in on Sunday night. Now I am not so sure: maybe the miserable B. who opened the windows did it by removing and then replacing the lock. I took the car for an estimate for repair and the bloke at the garage showed me that with no door lock the windows open easily with a screwdriver. He also told me that ANY Passat key can be used to open the windows. Scary.

So, anyone know if this 'feature' can be turned off?

thanks for the input and replies.
Passat Electric Windows - Big Vern
Simple firmware update should be all that is required, however last time I checked there was not one available. If there was it may be some way to admitting there was a problem.... therefor becomming liable for losses to date?? who knows.
I never understood this feature, yes being able to put the windows up / close the sunroof on the key is great, but drop the windows on the key ??? I was told this is for a hot day so that you could let the blast of hot air out before opening the door... surely if you have the presence of mind to do that, you are able to stand back while opening the door.. yes / no??

Might be an idea to look into what a good aftermarket alarm can do for you, clifford or the likes, they may have a fix for this. If you find one please post it as I know many who would be interested!

I think there is another issue with the windows dropping by themselves, but havent found the bloke who told me about it to find out more.