Computer Related Questions - Volume 181 [ReadOnly] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 182 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 181. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/04/2009 at 01:37

....anyone know where Huawei drivers can be found? - Stuartli
Huawei routers are a favourite handout of TalkTalk (must be cheap to buy!) so studying the TalkTalk Help and Support pages (as well as the TalkTalk Forums) may help:

www.talktalk.co.uk/help-and-support/help-desk

www.talktalk.co.uk/help/questions/TEC_02_25

The Huawei website's support pages seem a complete disaster...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 20/03/2009 at 00:09

....anyone know where Huawei drivers can be found? - JH
Thanks Stuart. Yes, the word "marketing" springs to mind. I'm sat in the Yorkshire Dales getting just over 30k, slightly less than at home. The thing is... that's what I used to get at home on dial up in pre broadband days! How did I ever put upwith this?
JH
Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - oilrag
I bought this new a couple of weeks back, as the cheapest and lightest locally available notebook.

I installed Opera and prefer it to Firefox, but can`t work out how to install a spell-check... Is it possible? How?

(forget command line;-)

Also with the back removed two little chip boards are each located with two screws. Is one of these the main operating system flash drive?

Cheers
Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - rtj70
Have you checked the manual? My guess one is memory and the other the disk.

I think the memory and disk are under the same panel.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/03/2009 at 21:31

Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - ifithelps
Oilrag,

Can't answer your question, but welcome to Eee PC ownership.

It is a tremendous little device that will do nearly anything you want it to.
Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - jbif
I installed Opera ...., but can`t work out how to install a spell-check... Is it possible? How? >>

tinyurl.com/cwcyrz [Opera spell check]

Thanks for the replies. jbif, I had been to that site but it was the different file names that had me foxed. What happens if I download the tar file? does it self install?
RTJ, The handbook is pretty thin on tech detail - but i`m assuming the one that`s not RAM must be the main flash drive. I had looked it up on forums actually and some are reported to be soldered into the main board on this model.

Bought it just for travel, but find I`m now using it at home a lot of the time instead of the (waiting to fail) Compaq laptop. Amazed at how its a fully functioning wifi computer for £175 - and runs Opera faster than any of the three desk-tops at the workstation run Explorer or Firefox. One of these virtually dims the lights when switched on and sounds like a Henry vacuum cleaner.
One day I will have to face up to dumping all three with their yards of wiring running through the KVM switch...

Edited by oilrag on 21/03/2009 at 07:49

Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - ifithelps
oilrag,

Get yourself an internet dongle and you'll be cooking on (mobile) gas with your Eee PC.

I bought a larger capacity battery for mine, which I think is a worthwhile upgrade, and a car cigarette lighter charger.

Loads on ebay, I had no problem with a couple of the UK-based suppliers.

The larger capacity battery is a larger size, so has an impact on portability, although the Eee will still fit in the cheap little black bag it comes with.

There are a few better cases around now, I use an Umbro one designed, I think, for sandwiches.

Cost £2 and no one's to know I'm carrying a computer.

Portable DVD player cases are also a good fit.
Thanks, ifithelps. I will explore options ;-)
Eee Pc 701SD Linux - Opera & spellcheck - jbif
What happens if I download the tar file? does it self install?

You will have to ask the Linux Ubuntu Mubuntu or whatever funky gibbon geeks. But try

www.simplehelp.net/2007/06/22/how-to-open-rar-arj-.../

Internet Explorer 8 - Robin Reliant
Running IE8 on my PC and when I open any web page it comes up in a small window and has to be maximised. I have tried dragging it to full screen, shutting down and re-opening but no good. Any ideas on how I can get it to open on maximum by default?

BTW, before anyone suggests using a third party browser they all seem to run painfully slow on my PC.
Internet Explorer 8 - jbif
RR:
I too am trying IE8 on a Vista and an XP machine, and have no problems so far and like the new features [including the option to move the STOP and REFRESH buttons to the left of the address bar where other browsers normally put them].

The trick in IE7 and IE6 to maximise windows on opening was:
www.theeldergeek.com/maximize_internet_explorer.htm

If a subsequent window for a hyperlink opens in a small window, you have to first close the main window and perform the above "eldergeek" trick on the new window [expand the new window to a size of your preference]. Then in future new windows opened from the main window will open at the new size set.

Edited by jbif on 21/03/2009 at 13:32

Thanks for the link jbif, but no joy I'm afraid.
Internet Explorer 8 - Clk Sec
Sorry to muscle in on your post, RR!

Clk Sec
Try dragging the window to the new size [at the corners] with your mouse whilst keeping alt+shift pressed down. Then when you shut/exit the window, keep alt+ctrl+shift pressed down.

Internet Explorer 8 - Clk Sec
>>Then in future new windows opened from the main window will open at the new size set.

And so they do.

I migrated to Firefox a few weeks ago, but my wife tends to use Internet Explorer. She had this minor problem with IE7 and it continued with the recently downloaded IE8.

Thanks, jbif.

Clk Sec
Nothing makes any difference :-(
Nothing makes any difference :-( >> >>

You could try
tinyurl.com/deqd8s
www.webattack.com/get/iemax.html

or, post on the Microsoft IE8 forum. With your prompting, who knows, wonder of wonder, IE developers may finally come up with an easier means of selecting window sizes after 10 years or more of complaints!

Edited by jbif on 21/03/2009 at 15:09

IE8 support:
ask for support via email:
support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st December 2009.

other MS support:
social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/iewebdevelo.../
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Edited by jbif on 21/03/2009 at 15:20

Internet Explorer 8 - Stuartli
>>Support for Internet Explorer 8 is available at no charge until 31st December 2009.>>

Judging by one or two of the computer forums, MS support is going to be very busy...:-)

Out of curiosity I installed IE8 shortly after the final version became available - at present it's a case of just how long before I go back to IE7?

Thankfully I use Firefox for about 98 per cent of browsing time.
Internet Explorer 8 - Pugugly
And me - and it evolves regularly enough to make it better. The Mac version is a pretty little thing as well as being slick.
Ipod / Itunes switching computer - BobbyG
I currently have my ipod linked to my desktop. On my desktop my music was originally stored in "My Music" when I used Musicmatch Jukebox, I have since moved to using itunes. I assume the music is still in My Music though I must check to see where any recently added songs have been put by itunes.

Anyway, when I move back to my own house, the desktop is being put in the loft so I will be wanting to use my current laptop for music and ipoddy stuff. However it only has 40GB hard drive and my music is up in the late teens just now so prob looking to put the music onto my external HDD to connect up as and when.

My question is , how is the best way of going about this? I previously tried connecting my ipod to another computer and it wouldn't let me, saying that it was already linked to a computer (ie my desktop).

And to complicate things further, probably towards the end of the year, Santa will hopefully bring me a new laptop with bigger hard drive so would want to move the music onto that from the external hard disk!

So what is the best way of going about all this (in easy step by step instructions!)
Ipod / Itunes switching computer - rtj70
The music can be copied off an iPod but it's not straight forward (there are programs to help). The file layout and track names are not just the MP3 files. The files have unique style names and there is a database mapping tracks to files.

The other thing is, you can only sync the iPod with one PC. So when you plug it into the laptop it will wipe everything and resync. This cannot be avoided.

So the easiest and best thing to do is to copy the files from the PC to the laptop. Make sure all files are on there and you've not missed any. To make this easier you can tell iTunes to consolidate the library so all MP3/AAC files are moved to the iTunes library folder. This folder can then be copied.

I assume the plan is to plug the external hard disk in to the desktop to copy the music there and then use that with the laptop? If you're copying from desktop to laptop directly then using a IEEE1394 Firewire cable can speed up the copying significantly.

Although Windows file sharing is inefficient with many small files (e.g. MP3). But if I use my wireless connection to copy a 800Mb video file to my laptop it estimates about 12-15 minutes (varying). Do the same with Firewire it's 45 seconds.
Ipod / Itunes switching computer - VR6
Easiest way:

1. Buy your external Hard Disk
2. Connect it to your Desktop
3. In Itunes go to EDIT>Preferences and set the new external HDD to the place where new music is copied to.
4. In Itunes go to ADVANCED>CONSOLIDATE LIBRARY
5. This will copy all your music which is in Itunes (which is stored on your Desktop in various folders) to your HDD as you set out in Point 3 above.
6. Now you have all your music in one place i.e your HDD.
7. Connect the HDD to your current laptop
8. Open Itunes and in the Preferences point it to your external HDD
9. Force Itunes to scan the HDD and add music to your Itunes Library
10. Sync your Ipod - this will delete the music on your ipod and replace it with what is on the external HDD.
11. When you buy a new laptop connect the HDD to it, point Itunes to it and force it to scan the files to the library, then change the 'music location' to your laptops 'my music', then 'Consolidate' again - hey presto your music is now on your new laptop.
Intel E1400 benchmarks - maz64
You might remember I got a new motherboard a few months ago:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=72...2

Well I've just splashed out £50 on a new dual core E1400, along with 2Gb of DDR2. Obviously the E1400 is pretty near the bottom of Intel's range, so I wasn't expecting a massive improvement in performance over the old single core 3.33GHz Celeron D, and the improvement in the 3DMark2001 score from ~18300 to ~23000 is about what I was expecting.

However, I was expecting the PassMark CPU benchmark to go from around 400 to 1000+, as implied by www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

But I only got a figure of 625 (compared with a measured 465 for the old Celeron against a predicted 388). Has anyone else got an E1400 system they would be kind enough to benchmark using the (free trial) PassMark software? I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with my setup.

BTW SiSoft Sandra CPU benchmarks have all at least doubled, so I suspect there's something wrong with the PassMark figures, or my interpretation of them.

Cheers
F
Intel E1400 benchmarks - Altea Ego
got your core clock and multiplier figures right for the CPU? The cas/speed for the memory set correctly?
got your core clock and multiplier figures right for the CPU? The cas/speed for the
memory set correctly?

I'll have a look when I get chance, but shouldn't they get set automatically?
>> got your core clock and multiplier figures right for the CPU? The cas/speed for
the
>> memory set correctly?
I'll have a look when I get chance but shouldn't they get set automatically?

should do BUT it may require a bios update to recognise newer stuff, and/or it will default to safe rather than optimum.

should do BUT it may require a bios update to recognise newer stuff and/or it
will default to safe rather than optimum.

Checked Gigabyte website and indeed for the E1400 I should be using BIOS rev F8b instead of the F7 which it came with (although the 'b' is for 'beta', which is a bit of a worry).

So I updated, did a BIOS 'load optimal settings', and re-ran the PassMark benchmarks. No change :-(
Does it "feel" faster? I wouldnt worry about one set of benchmarks.
Does it "feel" faster? I wouldnt worry about one set of benchmarks.

I don't use it that much, but my wife said she noticed a difference - must be significant!

As I said earlier the 3DMark2001 and SiSoft Sandra benchmarks appear to indicate everything's ok, but I would like to know why the PassMark figures are so way out.
Found the reason for the low PassMark score - there's a 'number of processes' setting which was set to 1, and it should be 2 for dual core CPUs. Score now coming out at 1152, and it seems to be running a lot faster :-)
Intel E1400 benchmarks - rtj70
I put the agent on my laptop (T7200 @ 2GHz dual core) and without fiddling got a result around what I'd expect from their website. If you get 1152 from your Celeron that looks good - I remember when Celeron's were so budget they had no cache!
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - Manatee
Somebody must have cracked this. The BBC News website is increasingly using video reports. My pathetic broadband connection delivers these in 5 second pieces with 20 seconds hiatus in between.

With YouTube I can pause the video while it downloads the whole thing then watch it in one go. This doesn't seem to work for BBC.

I've emailed the BBC who invite questions but they have not replied. I'd be grateful for a solution!
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - John Sheridan
Have you seriously considered changing your internet provider?

I was with Tiscali and could only get 1mb - got worse and worse due to Tiscali "throttling" their internet speed as they have too many users for the bandwidth they have purchased from BT. I switched to another well known provider and now nearly always get around 2.5mbs.

How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - Stuartli
>>as they have too many users for the bandwidth they have purchased from BT. >>

Presumably your exchange isn't LLU equipped by Tiscali? See:

www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-operator/tiscali

I left Tiscali exactly three years ago for TalkTalk - best move I ever made even though I'd been with Tiscal from the WorldOnline days for eight years.
It's not an unbundled exchange, and it's about three miles away - most people get something in the 500kbps to 1Mbps bracket - unfortunately mine is at or below the lower figure most of the time. The ISP is virgin.net but I've no certainty that changing would make any difference. They did throttle the connection (very unfairly given that I am paying for "up to 8Mb") when my son was (unknown to me) using peer-to-peer but I've stopped him doing that now.

There's not much I can do about connection speed, I just want to be able to buffer or download the videos.

p.s. - I've just checked the speed - 747kbps down, 373kbps up. That's about as good as it gets.

Edited by Manatee on 05/04/2009 at 09:21

It must be very frustrating knowing what speeds those nearer the exchange can get.

You can boost download speeds for software, for instance, by using FreshDownload (freeware) and configuring it to have all eight download steams open; I created a folder to which downloads are directed (done from Options and also serves as a backup), but whether it will work with video streams I'm not sure. See:

www.freshdevices.com

YouTube videos etc are saved to a similar specific folder using Download Helper (I have Firefox and it's an Add-on) and I have hundreds of such musical videos saved in the folder; it saves wasting bandwidth by watching direct from YouTube. Originally I had Save2PC, but Download Helper is more versatile.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Edited by Stuartli on 05/04/2009 at 13:04

Thanks Stuart. I'll have a look at both the FF add-on and FreshDownload - would that work with a wireless router btw?
>>would that work with a wireless router btw?>>

Yes. A wireless router offers the same connection as one that is wired but, obviously, is not directly connected to the system.

FreshDownload, which is ad free by the way, also has the benefits of allowing the Pausing of downloads or Resuming a download(s) if, for any reason, the connection is temporarily lost (the server has to support the function, but it is rare for one not to do so).
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - malteser
"the WorldOnline days for eight years."

With absolutely nowt to do with this thread - I was with W.O.L. from the screaming.net days - the first UK ISP to provide free dial up!
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - JH
M
regarding your internet speed, this advice is worth following up, it does make a difference and it's easy to do. Basically you're doing what an iPlate does but without paying £10 - £15.
www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
JH
Thanks for all the replies. JH, I have the main socket plate with the filter in, an additional passive noise filter where the line enters the house fitted by BT, and I've tried with and without additional filters on the phone extensions. I think it's just the distance from the exchange, and a less than perfectly balanced line.
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - sierraman
You could download the videos with the i-player download manager,then watch without interuption.
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - Dynamic Dave
I think it's just the distance from the exchange and a less than perfectly balanced line.

I'm approx 5 to 6 miles from my nearest exchange and get around 1½ to 2 meg. Sometimes I get up to 2½ meg on a good night. BT phone line and the ISP is Pipex sorry, I meant Tiscalli. As your exchange is closer I would have thought you'd have got a better speed than that.

Have you tried going to the various ISP websites and entering your phone number to see what they suggest your max speed *could* be?
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - Altea Ego
I'm approx 5 to 6 miles from my nearest exchange and get around 1½ to
2 meg. Sometimes I get up to 2½ meg on a good night.

out of what?

I just upgraded. I live less than 1 mile from the exchange as the crow flies. Was on 2 and I used to get 2 fairly solidly. I just upgraded to 8mbs. I was told by various line quality checkers to expect 6-7mbs and when I upgraded Tiscali forecast 7mbs. The router has connected at a line speed of 6.2 mbs, and speed tests using file downloads indicate 5.1 to 5.9mbs at various times during the day. Ping times have halved.

Funnily I did the upgrade to pay less as well as improve service. I was on a free weekend call package, but the phone usage did not do that justice, most calls were made weekday evenings. So I upgraded to 8mbs and 7 day free call package and expect to spend less overall.

out of what?

Up to 8 meg. I was previously on a 1 meg max download speed but was paying £2.99 more than I am now for 1½ to 2 meg. It was only when I requested a MAC code to change ISPs that Pipex said that they could match the price of the other ISP and that my line was capable of receiving more than 1 meg (it hadn't long been upgraded apparantly).
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - Altea Ego
OOOO 2.5 meg maximum out of 8? wow I couldnt live with that. I would feel permananetly cheated thinking about 5.5 meg leaking out of my line. My online experience would be ruined, tarnished. Every time i drove down the road i would see in my mind bits of my data glugging down the drain holes.... how appaling.
;o)

It's the price you pay (or maybe that should be 'I pay') for being so far away from the phone exchange. As with 99.9% of the ISP's out there though, it's those magic words "up to x meg"
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - jbif
re . the up to 8 Meg speeds.

Keep an eye on
www.samknows.com/broadband/21cn_overview.php

to check when/if your exchange is upgraded to the 21cn [21st century?] standard.

My exchange was upgraded recently and I had assumed that only BT customers would get the 24Meg speeds.
However, it seems that the upgrade is available to LLU customers too, as I have just had a letter from Talktalk asking if I want to boost the speed category "up to 24 Meg".

>>is upgraded to the 21cn [21st century?] standard.>>

You only needed to add "network" to 21st century...:-)

See: www.btplc.com/21cn/whatis21cn/index.htm
How to watch BBC videos on a slow connection? - harry m
as i have mentioned before you can have all singing and dancing equip in the exchange but if like me it's aliminum cable all the way from the exchange to my house it won't make much or any differance at all.trust me there is still a lot of ali in the ground.
I'm perfectly happy, for the moment, with TalkTalk's consistent 7Mb + service - I'm 580 yards from the exchange as the crow flies.
Frame Manager won't open - bintang
Frame Manager is the best way to enter photos from computer into my Samsung photo frame. After a lapse of a month or so, it refuses to open. Clicking on the icon gives a fleeting hourglass symbol but no amount of waiting causes the programme to open, neither does re-downloadong the software. Can anyone suggest a remedy please? Samsung don't respond on their website einquiry service.
Frame Manager won't open - maz64
neither does re-downloadong the software

Did you uninstall as well as re-download?
Yes
Frame Manager won't open - jbif
Samsung don't respond on their website einquiry service. >>

Some of their Techs do reply on htis forum:
forums.cnet.com/5204-13973_102-0.html?forumID=146&...6

Mind you, some people there say they are now using the Samsung photo frame as a paper weight!

This looks promising and I will try it. Photo frames are, in fact, less useful than one would expect and mine was an unopened, unwanted Christmas present, entered on eBay around December 28th.
Internet Sign - Security Codes - Armitage Shanks {p}
I can see why some sites require you to enter a code (to prevent spammers?) to sign in to their sites but why do they make it even more difficult by displaying the code in a number of different typefaces and as-if seen thru a distorting mirror? What is the reasoning behind this additional 'security' - please?
Internet Sign - Security Codes - jbif
What is the reasoning behind this additional 'security' - please?

see www.captcha.net/
or for even more background, google the word: captcha

eg. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

note: even these have been thwarted, by employing people in low wage economies where they are paid a few pennies per hour to go through web sites and act as human computers to read the captchas -eg. when spammers want to set up thousands of email addresses.

New versions use pictograms.

Edited by jbif on 06/04/2009 at 16:59

Internet Sign - Security Codes - Altea Ego
This is to prevent "screen scraping" by bots.

IN laymens terms there are robot spamming / hacker machines out there that can read the special code (even in in picture form) and so defeat it. To prevent this it is distorted in some way to prevent it being read by robots. I agree sometimes this distortion is so bad I cant even read it first time.
Internet Sign - Security Codes - Lud
How interesting AE. Like the porcelain bus manufacturer (no offence AS) I have often wondered why this 11-plus puzzle was sometimes encountered.

Still get spam though, even though I never open it.
Internet Sign - Security Codes - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thank you gentlemen! Hard for me to read and impossible for a scanner or machine!
What's the best basic back-up? - ifithelps
I've been neglecting my backing up.

I don't store a lot of data - no pics or music - but when the last computer broke, it was a pest having to re-enter and reset all the, er, settings, bookmarks, etc.

And there's sure to be the odd tiny bit of data I would miss if the computer blew up again or was nicked.

Can't be bothered with discs, so I guess I need an external usb hard drive?

What's reckoned to be the current best buy?

I could spend up to £100, but was hoping to get the job done for less.
What's the best basic back-up? - Pugugly
If you use FIrefox you can share bookmarks using Foxmarks (just re-branded Xmarks) saves a lot of messing around.
What's the best basic back-up? - malteser
"Mozilla Backup" is a nifty program which will back up Firefox & Thunderbird, with extensions etc!
Where you save the info. is up to to you!
What's the best basic back-up? - JH
if, I've been using a Western Digital Mybook 500Gb for a year or two. It's quiet and hasn't given any trouble. They show on Google from mid £50 upwards for a USB connection. Other sizes & connections are available. I'm not saying what I paid 2 years ago!

Don't forget that software has an irritating habit of putting data where it wants rather than where you want, so you need a backup of everything from time to time as well as a focussed, frequent backup of the folders where you keep your data. I'd recommend Acronis True Image. It just sits there and works with no perceptible impact. Showing as £30 on Google. Ouch. You might find an older edition for less, I'm two generations back. It works! :-)
JH
What's the best basic back-up? - Victorbox
I was quite impressed by a demo of Clickfree backup on the shopping channel - enough to consider one for myself! tinyurl.com/dhoxxr
What's the best basic back-up? - Stuartli
The well respected Karen Kenworthy offers a number of freeware products, including Replicator for backup purposes:

www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Just remembered that if you have a Seagate/Maxtor external or internal hard drive, you can download Seagate's Disk Wizard free from its website.

It's actually a lite version of Acronis True Image.

Don't know if Disk Wizard will work with other manufacturer's drives (I have a Seagate 400GB Once Touch external HDD).
What's the best basic back-up? - buzbee
Don't know if Disk Wizard will work with other manufacturer's drives

It works fine with a couple of external Samsung drives I use via USB -- need to have a Seagate disk somewhere in the PC set-up as previously remarked.

I bought one of the USB-sata (also does ATA) adapters for about £9 and do all mine via USB. Even to making a disk image.

I make an image of my hard drive every few months and test it and then use a commercial USB-drive-in-a-box to back up my selected data. For that I use Allway Sync (recommended on here some moons ago now) which works fine.

You can define what you want to back-up/synchronise as a procedure and so you do not have to keep setting up the procedure. And you can have several different procedures (back-ups) to use. I have ones for syncing two USB disks, ones for a PC to external sata disk etc. It does it by a procedure number with the two disk-drive letters, C to D etc.

Allway Sync is free for low duty but if you press on and use it several times on the same day it eventually blocks you for a while, unless you buy it -- I did.

There is a bit of a learning curve. You click direction arrows to control the sync to be in the correct direction, (A to B, not B to A , say.) or not sync, as required.

That is important because if you sync in the wrong direction you lose your new data!
What's the best basic back-up? - John Sheridan
Well I would suggest something like the Lacie Quadra for the external hard drive as that has 4 ways of connecting to your PC.

As far as software goes try SyncToy - a FREE bit of software from Microsoft! All you need to do is create a folder "pair" - basically a "copy from" "copy to" and then you can sync. your PC anytime you like.

You can get SyncToy from here www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=...n

The Giveaway of the Day website is offering Paragon Drive Backup 9 Personal free (today only):

www.giveawayoftheday.com/paragon-drive-backup-9-pe.../

Computeractive did a similar giveaway of the software a few weeks ago, but it's still on sale from around £16 to £25 depending on the outlet.
What's the best basic back-up? - Manatee
Thanks for the tip Stuart - I managed to download and install this last night, ands though I haven't had chance to play with it yet, it looks good.
You might find some useful information here, such as the mention of Adaptive Restore:

tinyurl.com/cdn423

tcl question - exec - maz64
Couldn't find an active tcl forum, so...

I'm trying to use tcl's built-in exec command to execute a command in a string (in linux), something like:

set cmd "decode < file.dat"
exec $cmd

But the $cmd is being treated as a single argument to exec ie. the shell is trying to execute a program called "decode < file.dat". What is the correct syntax? I've tried using:

exec [split $cmd]

but that didn't work.

Cheers
F
Found it: ideally exec {*}$cmd but I've got an older tcl so it has to be eval exec $cmd (which might get messy apparently).
F
tcl question - exec - JH
Focus, I didn't like to say, I knew you'd be embarrassed when you worked it out.... ;-)

JH
Focus I didn't like to say I knew you'd be embarrassed when you worked it
out.... ;-)

JH - am I right in thinking you're making fun of my perhaps rather techie question, or are you a tcl expert? Problem is, on this forum, it could be either - it renders many other so-called 'specialist' forums redundant :-)
tcl question - exec - bell boy
im a linux mint man myself and thought you were on the juice ;-)
linux mint

Thanks for that - sounds interesting...
(for others: www.linuxmint.com/about.php )
tcl question - exec - JH
Focus,
I was just pulling your leg, very gently. You asked an extremely abstruse question but the amazing thing about this forum is you would probably have got an answer if you hadn't worked it out for yourself.

I am an ex techie but not on Unix. I call this the "Kodak cardboard cut out syndrome" where you explain a problem to another techie and in so doing work out the solution yourself. That is, you may as well have just talked to a life size cardboard cut out of someone.

Anyway, the important thing is, you've cracked it.
JH

Edited by JH on 07/04/2009 at 20:44

Focus
I was just pulling your leg very gently.

And no offense taken at all - I was just genuinely curious as to which angle you were coming from.
Cheers
F
tcl question - exec - bell boy
puppy is good if you have a poor first edition computer from 19 nout blob
it runs off the disc itself so you dont need an operating system on the hard drive
linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/L...l

oh and obviously its free
which printer/scanner - gordonbennet
Our Epson stylus RX500 is playing up, swmbo has replaced the inks times, but still the colours play up one after another, its probably 2 or 3 years old and we think its possibly time to sling and replace, maybe a pro could clean the inkways properly but would it be cost effective?

swmbo uses it to copy, scan for forums etc and print photo's and cards etc for her hobby, she'd like something good quality with affordable inks and fairly simple to use.

Any suggestions please.
which printer/scanner - JohnPug
Epson's are notorious for blocking their printheads, if you don't use them enough.

I would suggest a Canon multifunction printer, even their cheap ones are pretty good. I bought the cheapest one in Argos a few months ago, the MP140 for £30 and it's brilliant.

The printhead is on the cartridge, so no unblocking required, and replacements are not too expensive, oem or compatibles.
which printer/scanner - Statistical outlier
I worked in a cartridge refilling place for a while, and would absolutely concur. Canon every time!
which printer/scanner - John Sheridan
I had to purchase an all-in-one recently for one of our homeworkers and went for the Canon Pixma MP630 which can scan, print & copy.

They have come down in price too - was £160 when I got it 2 months ago.

www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=57XG&Categ...0

which printer/scanner - gordonbennet
Thanks chaps for allowing me a big phew...our Epson was an all in one and we wanted the same again but not the same make so.....

We bit the bullet and ordered a Canon MP970 yesterday, here's hoping we've done the right thing, got it for a good price too, and you seem to have already approved our brand of pre order, thanks..;)

To be honest the Epson had never been reliable or good at its job from day one, if it didn't snatch half the ream of paper it would jam the one up anyway, then inks would run out/dry up one after another...a real pita.
Can log in last longer? - oilrag
Maybe it`s just me that`s slow - but again i`ve just lost a long post which was a reply to Halmer on the Punto rust thread.

There`s no way I`m going to spend another hour replicating that (sorry Halmer) and I know I could use Word (which ive never used) but too many hoops and hurdles to negotiate to get a post in.

Wouldn`t be so bad - but it`s twice this week and the screen just freezes after I re-enter the log in details (in the pop up box) and then takes the browser back to the main HJ site - message lost.

Anyway, better not write more or I may lose this ;-)
Can log in last longer? - Big Bad Dave
Why don't you just copy it before you press "post message"?
Can log in last longer? - theterranaut
If its Windows- notepad is your friend. Compose on this then enter it as a post.

Similar applications are available for Mac/Linux.

tt
Can log in last longer? - gordonbennet
If its a long (waffling, yes i know) post i nomally copy it several times during writing just in case as this computer is on borrowed time now, the time out often occurs before i submit a post, but each time so far the message has still been there after i've relogged on....he said losing everything next time no doubt..;)
Can log in last longer? - FotheringtonThomas
i`ve just lost a long post

This is a flaming nuisance. I take BBD's approach, but it's a PITA.
Can log in last longer? - malteser
Use Firefox and install the extension "it's all text". This places a small "Edit" button on the bottom right hand corner of the message box.
Click this and you message opens in the text editor of your choice - I use Notepad.
You can then either carry on typing in your text editor, or periodically save your undying prose in a location which you can easily find, for later copy/paste.
Can log in last longer? - Stuartli
But if you copy your posting before sending it (just in case), surely it serves the same purpose?
Outlook - getting rid of duplicates - borasport20
Outlook 2007, windows XP
I have numerous rules set up, with folders for each contact and incoming emails get moved or copied into each folder. In some folders i've ended up with duplicates, and I'm looking at some automated way of deleting them.

Is there some way of doing this in Outlook - I would have thought 'if two identical emails in same folder then delete' utility shouldn't be beyond Microsoft, but (a) I can't find it and (b) if that were the case, there wouldn't be shedfuls of utilities on the net claiming to do it for you.

If it ain't possible in outlook, does anybody have any experience of any free utilities they'd be happy to recommend ?
cheers
Outlook - getting rid of duplicates - VR6
I've not used it so can't comment on how good it is, but see the second plug in on the following website. I got the website by using the Help in Outlook - it gave a link to the following website, so I am guessing that it is recommended by Microsoft

techie-buzz.com/add-ins/12-must-have-useful-and-fr...l

Edited by VR6 on 08/04/2009 at 22:56