Metal cutting recommendations? - Harmattan
I need to do some crude bodywork and cill cutting to liberate an old chassis so no reuse of metal involved. Are the electric power hacksaws of the £50-80 variety fairly robust? ie Argos do a JCB-branded one. Or is it best to get something bigger from a hire shop? Bear in mind I only have single phase electricity and no compressor.

Thanks in advance
Metal cutting recommendations? - Andrew Hamilton
Not sure about cars but I use angle grinder to cut metal up to 6mm thick. Need correct metal cutting disc as I found stone cutting disc struggles and blues steel!
I read about chain-saws that can go through metal like butter!
Metal cutting recommendations? - steve paterson
David,
When forced to I use a pnuematic one. Basically it's just a powered padsaw with the same drawbacks as a manual one. Good for restricted space jobs where a hacksaw won't fit in though. It uses LOTS of air and is still slow, so I guess that a cheap low powered electric one might be false economy. As Andrew says an angle grinder is a better bet (with a thin metal cutting wheel), and a lot more versatile as well.
Metal cutting recommendations? - Dizzy {P}
I agree that an angle grinder (4.1/2") with metal cutting disc is probably the best tool for this job.

I find it best not to press too hard, just let the disc find its own way through. Often it is best to go through in stages, i.e. cut a groove then go back over it to deepen it, finally cutting right through when the metal has got quite thin.

Trying to go through in one go can cause the disc to grab at the sharp edge of the metal, especially if you are holding the grinder so that the disc leads into the cut rather than trails in, if you see what I mean. (Pity we can't draw pictures here!)

By the way, in case you don't know, the sparks from the disc can penetrate the surface of any glass or painted surface that they hit, just like the sparks from mig-welding. I learned this the hard way!
Metal cutting recommendations? - John S
David

I'd agree with Dizzy, and the small angle grinders are useful for other jobs too. I've got a Makita which I've had for nearly 10 years now. That said, I've used PB's method too, to cut up a rusty bodyshell, and it is extremely effective!

Regards

John S
Metal cutting recommendations? - PB
Don't forget the option of a club hammer and cold chisel, surprisingly effective and good exercise.
Any old jigsaw with a new metal cutting blade will also do a decent enough job.
Metal cutting recommendations? - Phil I
Favourite to hold chisel with very very thick glove.!!!

Happy chiselling Phil I.
Metal cutting recommendations? - Cliff Pope
Yes, get a £15 angle grinder and you'll never look back. When I think of all the rusted up nuts and exhausts I have labouriously hacksawed in my time, and now with a grinder it takes a few seconds.
Once you have one it is amazing the range of quick jobs they will do.
Just remember that the sparks don't just burn paint - they can also ignite workshop sawdust, petrol, and your clothes. And obviously you will wear wrap-around goggles, even for that last tempting little final cut.

Good luck
Metal cutting recommendations? - Dizzy {P}
Dead right, Cliff, not about the £15 angle grinder (don't you have any desire for quality amnd decent tool life?) but about clothes catching fire, goggles, etc.

Earlier this year I was cutting out a railway crane roof panel from 3mm steel sheet when I felt a bit more than the usual comfortably warm feeling between the legs. By the time I had realised what had happened, my overalls, trousers and underpants were on fire. I beat the fire out and the result was a large hole between my legs (limited to my clothes, thankfully). A most embarrassing and painful experience which still brings forth smiles and unrepeatably coarse comments from my workmates!
Metal cutting recommendations? - Richard Hall
Dizzy, I'd agree with you about cheap small angle grinders. I bought a cheapie to replace my Bosch which died after five years hard use, and although plenty powerful enough, it is very noisy and the brush housings get too hot to touch after only a few minutes use. When it dies I'll get a decent replacement.

However, at the same time I bought a big 9 inch disc cutter for £35 (from Focus DIY) and this is a marvellous piece of kit. Sure it's cheap, poorly made, and if you put it in a commercial workshop it wouldn't last a day, but for occasional use, cutting large panels of sheet steel, I haven't found anything to touch it. I could never justify spending £100 or more on a decent 9 inch cutter for the amount of use it will get. One of these could be the answer to David M's problem.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Metal cutting recommendations? - Cliff Pope
Dead right, Cliff, not about the £15 angle grinder (don't you
have any desire for quality amnd decent tool life?)

Yes and no. I think with tools it's often worth getting a cheap one first, to gain experience, decide whether you really need one, or simply to do just one job.
Then, when it's burnt out (although mine's still working after a year's hard life), you can get a proper one, appreciate it, and look after it.
Metal cutting recommendations? - svpworld
So this is the guy who does the cut-and-shuts then? :-)

Angle grinder it is then. Thanks for the advice and the tips on usage and safety. I had never thought about buying one, never having seen one in use. For what it's worth, I priced the 9inch ones yesterday on a £1 day trip to France and all the name branded ones (Bosch, Skil and AEG) were the same £70 in Mr Bricolage near Calais. However, using an adaptor is a bit fiddly with two prong cables so I decided to buy this side.

David
Metal cutting recommendations? - John S
David

I'd think carefully before buying a 9 inch angle grinder, unless you've a lot of heavy work planned. In practice you'll probably find the 4 1/2 inch models are more useful. The larger machines are just too big and heavy for many jobs.

Yes, it may make this one job easier, but frankly I'd buy the smaller machine and either take longer over this or use a hammer and bolster chisel. I was amazed how quickly this did the job for me.

I'd confirm the suggestion to buy a known brand - very often the cheaper items are slower and lower powered, and if you look around for the deals the extra cost is relatively small.

Regards

John S