Omega misting up. - svpworld
Anyone else have a big problem with their Vauxhall Omega misting up in rainy weather? I find I often have to use the air con to clear it, putting the demister on usually agravates the problem. It seems that the air from the vents without the air con always smells a bit "humid" to me, would this be the pollen filter that needs replacing? I've cleared the drain hole on the drivers side of the cowling below the wipers - I find it a nuisance and I don't know what I would have to do if I didnt have air con!

Any comments welcome!

Regards
Simon

Simon I know this isn't a permanent solution and you will want to get to the bottom of the problem but didn't someone on the 'HJ's Trade Secrets' thread mention that a vacuum cleaner bag of cat litter under the car seat helps to reduce humidity and musty smells in the car ? It might be worth checking and trying if only as an interim measure whilst you're waiting for some clever BR'er to provide the answer. Good luck.
Omega misting up. - Dave N
Seen a couple of these with recirc motor failure, leaving the flap stuck in recirc. Look up under the glovebox and have someone hit the recirc button to see if the flap moves.
Omega misting up. - zedzedeleven
hmm, my recirc stuck and the closed flap was visible when the pollen filter was removed . not having much use for a recirc. anyway , i just pushed it open . 1996 2.5 v6 estate .
Omega misting up. - L'escargot
I find I often have to
use the air con to clear it, putting the demister on
usually agravates the problem.
I don't know what I would have to do if I
didnt have air con!
Any comments welcome!
Regards
Simon

When I first got my Focus, I tried using the aircon to demist the windscreen, but I found that for some time afterwards the misting became heavier and more frequent. We discussed the problem at work, and realised that the problem occurred on several car models and that in such cases the use of aircon for demisting purposes is best avoided. What happens is that the moisture that condenses in the aircon system takes some time to dry out ~ the bulk of it drains away, but not all. The residual moisture can then actually promote windscreen misting.

To demist a windscreen (assuming that your car hasn?t got an electrically heated windscreen) you need to increase the flow of fresh air over the inside of the screen and if necessary increase the temperature of the screen to a level above the dew-point temperature of the air adjacent to the screen. So....set the heater air distribution to ?all to screen? and turn the fan on to "maximum". If this does not produce a result quickly enough increase the heater temperature to ?maximum?. On my car, opening the sunroof reduces the pressure inside the car and thereby increases the airflow through the heater.

Turn on the aircon at your peril ~ the benefit may be short-lived !!

I concur with HJ and Dave N that you should make sure that you haven't got a blocked pollen filter or that the heater isn't stuck in the "recirculating air" mode.
>> I find I often have to
>> use the air con to clear it, putting the demister
on
>> usually agravates the problem.
>> I don't know what I would have to do if
I
>> didnt have air con!
>>
>> Any comments welcome!
>>
>> Regards
>> Simon
>>
>>
>> _____________________________________
>> SVPworld (incorporating PSRworld)
>> www.svpworld.com
>>
When I first got my Focus, I tried using the aircon
to demist the windscreen, but I found that for some time
afterwards the misting became heavier and more frequent. We discussed the
problem at work, and realised that the problem occurred on several
car models and that in such cases the use of aircon
for demisting purposes is best avoided. What happens is that the
moisture that condenses in the aircon system takes some time to
dry out ~ the bulk of it drains away, but not
all. The residual moisture can then actually promote windscreen misting.
To demist a windscreen (assuming that your car hasn?t got an
electrically heated windscreen) you need to increase the flow of fresh
air over the inside of the screen and if necessary increase
the temperature of the screen to a level above the dew-point
temperature of the air adjacent to the screen. So....set the
heater air distribution to ?all to screen? and turn the fan
on to "maximum". If this does not produce a result quickly
enough increase the heater temperature to ?maximum?. On my car,
opening the sunroof reduces the pressure inside the car and thereby
increases the airflow through the heater.
Turn on the aircon at your peril ~ the benefit may
be short-lived !!
I concur with HJ and Dave N that you should make
sure that you haven't got a blocked pollen filter or that
the heater isn't stuck in the "recirculating air" mode.

PS Forgot to say that using the aircon in summer does not promote windscreen misting because the temperature of the screen is sufficiently above the dew-point temperature of the air adjacent to the screen.

However, using the aircon in spring and autumn may have the effect of reducing the temperature of the screen, and this is one of the things that you do not want to do. Reducing the temperature of the screen below the dew-point of the air adjacent to the screen may promote misting.
Omega misting up. - Dorian
My wifey has got a 2000 Clio with aircon, and from new we had to use the aircon to clear the windscreen. If you don't it mists up fast on a rainy day. My theory is that becuase the cabin is built so air-tight (as opposed to older cars), there is less airflow and therefore the moisture from the passengers' breath condenses on the glass.

Never get this problem in my 1990 Rover...

The clio has just been serviced and a new pollen filter fitted, so I'll see if misting windows is still an issue (as its now autumn, there'll be more chances to test it).
However, using the aircon in spring and autumn may have the
effect of reducing the temperature of the screen, and this is
one of the things that you do not want to do.
Reducing the temperature of the screen below the dew-point of the
air adjacent to the screen may promote misting...

At the end of that last sentence please add ...after the aircon is turned off.

Sorry !! Well, I got there in the end !!

Omega misting up. - John S
L'e

Bit confused about not using the aircon to demist the screen. The trick is to use high fan sped, max temp plus a/c, and even in the middle of winter demisting is immediate. This achives exactly what's needed, increased temp plus dehumidified air.

I once thought there was an increase in misting up after using a/c but I now believe that once you get a car with a/c you forget how much misting up we used to get. Standard advice here is to leave the a/c on permanently, as this is better for it than switching it off for long periods over the winter. That's what I now do, and find that I hardly ever see mist on the screen, except for a few seconds after a cold start.

The suggestion of the pollen filter being blocked on the Omega is almost certainly right.

Regards

John S
Omega misting up. - Phil P
I would have to concur with John S - a/c is a life-saver for demisting the screen in winter, and what's the need to ever turn it off?

It seems many people still assume running the a/c permantly has a bad effect on the car and/or is only of any use in hot weather.

I suspect this misconception will become less common with the increasing popularity of climate control where most people will probably leave it up to the computer to decided whether the a/c in on or not.

Just for the record I've been driving a Focus with the a/c running since I bought it used 15 months and 16k miles ago, and it still works perfectly and demists in no time!
Omega misting up. - svpworld
I agree that you should run the air con throughout the year, at least once a month for 5-10 minutes otherwise problems can occur with the system. Whilst I also agree that air con does indeed assist in rapid demisting of the screen, I prefer not to run it continuously because (a) it increases fuel consumption and (b) the engine idles slightly rough when its on as it adds further loading to it.
I agree that todays cars have better sealed (almost airtight!) cabins than before, as the cabin does get very stuffy and almost suffocating if the windows are closed and the fan is switched off. Maybe my filter does need replacing! Invariably I have the fan running on '1' to provide some airflow in the cabin. I also notice that unlike my previous car (a 1994 cavvy) that I don't get much air flow from the vents when cruising on the motorway with the fan set to '0'.
Perhaps as it was pointed out I never realised just how misted up my windscreen got on the old car, as putting the air con when in demist setting will almost instantaneously clear the screen. If I switch the fan off and air con off the screen remains fairly clear in wet weather but soon mists from my breath. I've tried putting the hot air without air con on but find it mists up very fast, worse than my older car. I suppose there are few things I need to try, first to run the ventillation system on hot without air con for a while to dry out the passages and also to double check the pollen filter and accessible airways for moisture ingress. The car itself isn't smelling damp but the air coming through the vents without air con on does - again maybe its just now I am so used to having the filtered dehumidified air in the car that i notice it more, a bit like when my dad gave up smoking and now I can detect anyone who has been in a room with smoke present!

Anyway the moral of the story seems to be that air con has more than one use of keeping you cool in hot weather, it helps to keep the damp out and clears the windows! I dont have a sunroof, and I prefer now to keep the windows of the omega closed as its so much quieter inside the car. I guess I will have to forget the fuel gauge and leave the air con switched on! I suppose in the winter its fine to turn the heating temperature up with the air con switched on?

Simon

Not long after I bought my Focus (a 2-litre model) I tried running it without the a/c on to see if I noticed any difference in fuel consumption. Whilst I expect there must be some difference due to the extra load, I failed to spot any, meaning it must be quite minimal. I do however believe that if you run a car with a smaller engine it can be more noticeable since the power needed for the a/c is proportionally higher to the output of the engine, someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

As for running the a/c with the heater, you can safely make it as toasty as you want and still enjoy the benefits of dehumidified air :o)
Omega misting up. - John S
Phil

I'd agree. On my last three cars I've been unable to detect any significant difference in fuel consumption due to the a/c. I'm sure it must have some effect, but it's not significant.

That said they've all been 1.8 litres or more, so it will be less noticeable relative to the engine power. As for lumpy idling, they have also all (like most modern cars) had idle speed control, so there are no problems there either. On the 2litre Vectra it was just possible to spot the engine speed being corrected when the a/c was switched on, but not on either of two we have now.

Regards

John S
Omega misting up. - geoff C
My 1999 Omega Elite, bought a week ago, seemed to produce a musty bad smell from the ventilation system, particularly when first switched on.

I investigated the cabin filter and discovered that there was a build up of decaying leaves in the drainage sump below. A long vacuum cleaner nozzle removed the bulk of the build-up, but pouring a pint of water into the sump via the air intake grille below the windscreen proved that the drain was still partially blocked. More water and blowing down a length of petrol hose inserted into the drain finally cleared it and washed out the remaining debris.

As far as I can tell this has solved the smell problem. Damp and decaying leaves in this sump could also be the source of your misting. I have not experienced this, but then the weather has been very dry!
Omega misting up. - wemyss
Probably the majority of us are unaffected by pollen so does the pollen filter serve any other useful purpose?.
Why not just sling it and get a better through flow of air.
Omega misting up. - zedzedeleven
pollen filters are 80 percent hole , it`s only as they block off that their efficiency falls away. imho they are cheap enough to replace regularly , Halfords sell them .
W.R.T. the plenum drain problem , the culprit seems to be the drain line exit point situated in the nearside wheel arch , just the job for blocking up with road debris. Especially as the line is fitted with what my mate succinctly refers to as a "fanny" valve. A good blast with a hosepipe soon clears it out.