I Have A Question - Volume 278 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 279 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 278. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2009 at 18:44

satellite tv head - mike hannon
I have a 'free to air' satellite set up to install, thanks to a generous friend. Trouble is, I have followed the installation and tuning instructions to the letter, including discovering my longitude and latitude for correct orientation and elevation and I've spent hours swinging the dish around, but I get no result at all. All I want is one particular French channel, Arte. Does anyone know if it's possible to test a satellite receiving 'head' before I go off mine?
satellite tv head - Robbie
Arte is on Astra 1 at 19.2 degrees East. However, the azimuth bearing depends on where you are situated.

I don't know of any method of checking the lnb without it in situ. If you have a satellite meter you can check if it's working by connecting the meter in series with the lnb, and moving the dish until you get a reading. With a digital signal you can't just move the dish and look for a reading, you have to move it a fraction and then stop.

You can download a bit of software from here www.smw.se/FreeSoftware.htm that will calculate the azimuth and angle for any particular satellite.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately smw doesn't support Mac! Never mind, I guess I'll pay someone to install a system for me. All the Brit satellite installers in France assume one only wants Sky, which I don't. Seems a great performance just for one channel but my part of the world will never have the French equivalent of Freeview, I am told, so if I want Arte for winter evenings I'll have to bite the bullet.
satellite tv head - pmh2
One useful tip for installing a dish for direction but not azimuth. Find a neighbour with a working installation (on the same satellite!) and check at exactly what time of day the shadow of the LNB passes across the centre line of the dish. Then on the following day, providing the siun is out 2 days running, install yours. You are then only left with one variable. Directional accuracy has to be within about 2degrees (possibly less for a larger dish). IIRC Astra 1 still has some analogue channels so the the cheap audio satellite finders work. From experience I can tell you that it is very easy to be mislead about direction!

Install the dish somewhere that you can reach from (preferably) ground level or a terrace. If the wind is anything like the Mistral, or Tramontaine, dont go for a chimney install, otherwise you will be constantly getting the installer to realign at 100? a time. I have reinstalled for several friends who had 'professional' installs, and saved them almost annual ralignment bills. ( I think that the installers have a way of leaving the dishes so they stay good for about 12 months before going out of alignment, degradable plastic under the clamps perhaps?)

Dont pay someone, just persevere.

p
If you publish your latitude and longitude I'll give you the readings. Otherwise, let me know your nearest town in France and I'll work it out for you.

It isn't difficult to install your dish, as long as it's low down and you can easily move it without standing precariously on a ladder. I installed my satellite dish in France very easily.

Edited by Robbie on 28/02/2009 at 15:16

satellite tv head - adverse camber
just a couple of questions -

Is it a digital receiver?
What is it - is it a dedicated box - I'm hoping that it isnt an old skybox or anything like that?

I've set up several dishes without problem - 19E is easy to see. Arte is on several sats and with several settings.

How are you trying to detect that you're pointing at a satellite?

lnbs do fail, but so do the connections on the cable.

Tell us where you are and what you've set the elevation and direction to and explain how you are trying to detect the satellite then we can try and sort you out.
satellite tv head - Another John H
This site is brilliant -

www.dishpointer.com/

put in your location, choose the satellite - nice fat line on google maps to follow from your fixing point.

If you aren't sure which satellite carries what, this is as good as any:

lyngsat.com/

It's essential to have the receiver pre-tuned into a channel which is on the satellite you're trying to find - cross check with lyngsat - and only pan a small distance at a time and wait a few seconds for the receiver to settle, then pan a bit more, etc.

If everything is in working order you may find the elevation adjustment has been your problem.

Don't forget the "skew" adjustment - start with the LNB a few degrees clockwise if you're looking for 19.2 East.

When you have a signal and it is optimised, it will be worth getting the receiver to rescan, as transponder usage is changing regularly.

Wow! Thanks all. I am now heartened enough to try again. The receiver is a Metronic digital access box with 400 pre-programmed channels but it's a few years old so I am trying to check with Lyngsat that my chosen channel for tuning still exists.
The dish is mounted about 10 feet above ground level, so I have to use a ladder to adjust it. I have the receiver and a little TV below me at ground level. Not ideal but I thought it should work. I have done my level best - sorry about the pun - to make sure the brackets and mast are exactly vertical but is it really true that the dish angle has to be right within a degree or less? The markings on the mounting look a bit vague - only every 5 degrees. I put the dish where it is because there is a pretty clear view to the south but I live in an area with many tall trees. The nearest ones to the south are about 200 metres away but there are electricity and phone lines - not pylons - much nearer. What peeves me is, everyone else around here seems to have aimed their dish satisfactorily - one is even mounted at ground level and looks to be pointed at a house nearby! Most people here (including us) still have chimney-mounted dishes for the analogue signal from Atlantic Bird 3. Unfortunately I can see that the LNB on ours is broken and I can't reach it from the attic Velux. Hence my efforts to start again with a lower mounted digital set-up.
We are at - I'll quote the figures as they are written on the website where I found them - 46.00 16.95N latitude, 1.00 1.39E longitude, 328 metres above sea level.
Thanks again all for your interest and help.
According to the figures you gave the azimuth bearing is 157 degrees and the angle of elevation is 34 degrees. The skew angle is -15.8 degrees. These figures are for Astra 1 at 19 degrees east of south.

Astra 1 is high powered so there should be no problem getting a signal.

Point your dish as near to these parameters as you can and look for a signal on your receiver, if you don't have a satellite meter, Move the dish a fraction east or west and stop. See if the signal has increased or decreased. Move in the opposite direction if it has decreased and vice versa if increased. Change the angle of elevation a fraction and see if the signal increases. Continue doing this until you get maximum signal quality consistent with signal strength.
satellite tv head - adverse camber
Plenty of options for it.

www.lyngsat.com/freetv/France.html

you want the dvb ones, the pal and secam are analogue and dvb-s2 is hd.

My experience is that the elevations can be a bit ropey on the scales, but 19e is a very strong signal so should be reasonably easy to get.
Nokia with a decent battery life - Stuartli
With reference to the earlier volume's views on camera phones - the basic MPs level is never as important as the quality of the lens.

A camera phone is unlikely to ever match the lens quality of a digital camera even if, as is often the case these days, up to 8MP are on offer.

I have a seven-year-old Minolta 2MP digital camera - producing crisp, detailed A4 prints is a cinch thanks to a high quality 3x zoom lens.
Why old mates are best left in the past - Rattle
I usualy always go out drinking on a saturday night it is a tradition all my mates have done from south Manchester to the south lancs (30 miles distance). Via facebook my old uni mates have arranged to meet tomorrow night (6 of us).

For this rwason I have spent the last week trying to arrange the weekend bender for tonigh which may mates kindly agreed to dispute us all ended up home early (hence my typing now becase we have all been working and tired. Now one uni mate has pulled out because of a cold and I am slightly wound up as a lot of people these people don't even know have changed her plans for her.

If I can go out when under doctors unders not to do after recovering from a fairly major operation and I am sure this person can come out because she has a cold.

Should this wind me up so much? I have a feeling I face a saturday in night in now doing nothing because of this let down, I much prefer drinking on a saturday than a friday. I have had 7 pints tonight and I am completly drunk in my head but on a saturday night I only need to stop drinking when the councer shuts the place up!.

I don't want to fall out with my uni mates I just wish they knew how much effort strangers to them have gone to to make this meetup happern and now it looks to be canceled. I am just fed up of it.

If it does get canceled at least it is funds towards my new car :)

So my question is how to handle old friends from the past without them effecting your current live? When I said it will be a lot of trouble for me to come out on a sat they said stuff them you never see us, the reason I never you guys is your flipping wimps who pull out at the slighrst sign of a cough!!!!! I am 26 and some how feel so much younger than these people.

Why old mates are best left in the past - Stuartli
Might be a good idea to stick to soft drinks for a week or two - you seem to be inflicting unnecessary stress on yourself.

You're young and will realise one day that the majority of people, in the end, only look after number one when it comes to the crunch.
Why old mates are best left in the past - deepwith
Much as I like friends, old and new, I am very happy to let them keep their own lurgies to themselves! I have never understood why it is considered noble to struggle out to work or play when you are just spreading a virus around, especially to those less robust than you.
Why old mates are best left in the past - bathtub tom
I think it's better not to post with seven pints sloshing around inside you.

I know. ;>(
Why old mates are best left in the past - Rattle
It is just ironic really, when I was at university these people were proper party animals one of them would often have 6 pints between lectures and he would be fine, ok he was very very fat at the time.

I never really used to drink at all at university, only when we went out. If I do go out for this meal I will be on the soft drinks, just a shame I have no car to drive back.

My problem is I want everything to be how it used to be but I am getting older so it is not realistic to do that, I know a lot of my cousins who have reached 30 etc have all had a bit of a shock when they realise their old life was a thing of the past.
Why old mates are best left in the past - Nsar
>>My problem is I want everything to be how it used to be<<

Rattle, old son, it never will be. They have changed and so have you. Accept it and move on.

Do you remember that Pulp song, let's all meet up in the year 2000 etc.?

Edited by Nsar on 28/02/2009 at 19:36

Why old mates are best left in the past - PhilW
""My problem is I want everything to be how it used to be"
Rattle, old son, it never will be. They have changed and so have you. Accept it and move on."

Good advice from Nsar.
Dawned on me when I returned to my "home town" after many years - a seaside resort. Was walking along the beach looking at people in case I recognised them from the past. Suddenly realised that I should not be looking at sprightly 18 year old lads and pretty 18 year old lasses. The only ones I might know would be fat, old, grey haired or bald. (and that incudes the women!).
Move on - new life - new friends.
Oh, and by the way - life is much better nowadays!
Phil

Three Mobile Phone Service - Robin Reliant
Anyone using them?

£9 a month line rental seems like a cheap deal, wondering what the service and coverage is like.
Three Mobile Phone Service - gordonbennet
SWMBO has just recently left them, coverage as good as Orange (i'm with them) with the same dead spots, i believe they use the same system.

She had a very good 18 month half price deal, but when that ended they wouldn't offer anything worth having. If they had let her package continue she would have been happy to stay.
(they tried to end her half price contract early half way through, and we nearly didn't notice, but i'm sure that was just a mistake)

Like so often with these companies their call centres are what lets an otherwise fine package down so badly, incredibly difficult to deal with (sense of humour by pass) and seem to be reading from a script just repeating the same mantra over and over again.

Three Mobile Phone Service - Rattle
I am with them on my business phone, its ok but I find the receiption is a lot poorer than my Vodaphone personal phone. I am on the £15 a month tariff with a Nokia 6500 slide. The only reason i went with 3 is they have a free voicemail service which was essential. When my phone was with Orange Pay As You Go I would spend £15 a month on voicemail alone.

I haven't dealt with 3's call centre but Vodafone have been brilliant in that regard.
Three Mobile Phone Service - Altea Ego
SWMBO has just recently left them coverage as good as Orange (i'm with them)

should that not read coverage as BAD as orange? Orange and virgin are, and have always been, worse for signal and coverage than O2 or Vodaphone as you travel round the country in cites and towns.

I dabbled with 3 early on - it was appalling in all respects..

Three Mobile Phone Service - gordonbennet
I dabbled with 3 early on - it was appalling in all respects..

I agree, but since then they improved a lot, unfortunately not in the call centre.

Yes , Orange can have some bad connection points, but as i travel regular routes mostly i know exactly where the call will drop.
With their call package (free Orange mobile numbers, free landline calls etc) and free broadband though no one can get near them for my usage.
Have found their call centre staff brilliant....so long as you get through to Britain, if i don't i terminate the call and try later, sense of humour by-pass again..;)
Three Mobile Phone Service - Stuartli
Voicemail is free on Virgin PAYG (T-Mobile); Tesco's mobile phone service is on the O2 network and it now offers 3x or 4x the credit amount you take out per month depending on whether it's a PAYG or pay monthly package:

www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/homepage.aspx?page=3

Asda's service uses Vodaphone and is reasonably priced for calls and texts:

www.asda-phones.co.uk/tariff_list.aspx?tn=234&stg=1

Amazing they can do it cheaper than the host service..:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 28/02/2009 at 15:52

Three Mobile Phone Service - Rattle
There was a lot of other problems with PAYU too. I used to have to call customers back on my personal number which caused confusion, now I have a business contract it is so so so so much easier. Downside is I am paying over £50 a month on phones but when my personal contract expires I will get a much cheaper deal.
Amazing they can do it cheaper than the host service..:-)

Because they have lower quality of service agreements and if a cell is overloaded or near capacity they get cut or you don't get a number of you try and dial on a near capacity cell.
Well I've been with Virgin Mobile since August 2000 and the phone side and the customer service have both been first class throughout that time.
Well I've been with Virgin Mobile since August 2000 and the phone side and the
customer service have both been first class throughout that time.

But your still using the same £10 top up you bought in 2000 - how would you know?

;)
>>But your still using the same £10 top up you bought in 2000 - how would you know?>>

As usual, you've got it wrong yet again...:-)
>>But your still using the same £10 top up you bought in 2000 - how
would you know?>>
As usual you've got it wrong yet again...:-)

"got my mobile in August 2000 (Virgin PAYG) with £10 worth of credit. I'm now coming to the end of the second £10 worth of credit, with just 92p remaining.

It's used purely for emergencies or for anyone to contact me urgently. Like others above, I don't want to be constantly plagued with mobile phone calls.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by"

this was in 2007 Think i was pretty close as it happens ;)
>>this was in 2007 Think i was pretty close as it happens ;)>>

No, for the simple reason that my other half has been in and out of hospital even more over the past 18 months and the mobile has been used extensively as a result.
>>this was in 2007 Think i was pretty close as it happens ;)>>
No for the simple reason that my other half has been in and out of
hospital even more over the past 18 months and the mobile has been used extensively
as a result.

Ok only another 5 years to go then then before you can back up your first statement.

Edited by Altea Ego on 01/03/2009 at 09:51

Three Mobile Phone Service - ifithelps
I was in a queue at the Megastore to buy a Virgin phone the day they were released.

Been with them on pay-as-you-go ever since and since I spend about £10 a month on calls, any contract package involving line rental - nearly all of them - is a no-no for me.

Virgin won't work at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire, so it's Vodafone there.

From what I've heard over the years, if it's coverage you're after, it has to be Vodafone.
Three Mobile Phone Service - rtj70
I have a PAYG Virgin Media SIM my stepson uses. As a customer for TV, broadband etc., for £10 per month we get any time any network 300min and 300 texts. Not bad.

Edited by rtj70 on 28/02/2009 at 21:23

Three Mobile Phone Service - Fullchat
Ifithelps

I must say I was an advocate of Virgin PAYG and have just converted to one of their packages. Kept my original phone and number. £10 a month sees me get 200 min talktime and 200 texts. No ontract. It's called the 'Liberty Sim'

www.virginmobile.com/vm/paymonthlySimOnly.do

I probably didn't spend that much on PAYG but I've now stated using up the time instead of my house phone.

Edited by Fullchat on 28/02/2009 at 21:59

Three Mobile Phone Service - rtj70
Fullchat, for Virgin Media customers that £10 can get you 300min/300 texts too.

Quite a good deal.

Edited by rtj70 on 28/02/2009 at 22:00

Three Mobile Phone Service - Fullchat
Unfortunately where I live has the only independent telephone company in the country which has the monopoly on phones and broadband. They reckon that no competitor wants to pay the premium to use their network. So we are stuck with all their packages.

Edited by Fullchat on 28/02/2009 at 22:04

Three Mobile Phone Service - ifithelps
...Unfortunately where I live has the only independent telephone company in the country...

And your football team might get relegated. :)
Three Mobile Phone Service - Pugugly
Hull !
>>From what I've heard over the years, if it's coverage you're after, it has to be Vodafone.>>

One of my best friends runs a business in which the employees use mobile phones extensively in their work - he's told me that Vodaphone is the mobile phone service of choice not only because it delivers the best service, especially coverage, but also very keen business packages.
One of my best friends runs a business in which the employees use mobile phones
extensively in their work - he's told me that Vodaphone is the mobile phone service
of choice not only because it delivers the best service especially coverage but also very
keen business packages.

Funnily enough because business and corporate users get traffic priority and lower bills than vitrual network providers or PAYG users.

The low prices charged to large corporate users are startling.
Not necessarily "funnily enough", but by experience over the years with phone companies' coverage standards and charges. Even so, it's continuously monitored to ensure that the required standards are always available.
How does credit card fraud work? - JH
No I'm not planning on giving it a go but wife's card (charity thing currently run by MBNA) has kindly paid someone's Sky subscription, O2 bill and several other companies. This is the second time it's happened in about 2 years. To be fair to MBNA, they spotted it and were very persistent in trying to get hold of her. She's very careful with how she uses and where she leaves the card and she only uses it for business purchases, mostly travel & hotels.

When asked, MBNA said that credit card numbers can be generated, but if I buy anything I have to quote start date /end date, security number, name on card and sometimes address. You can't generate that lot!

So how does it work? The only possibilities I can think of are;
some retailers are happy to proceed with just a number and no other details!?
someone has hacked one of the companies she has purchased from
someone has had sight of the card and noted the details or has noted details while a purchase was being made

But then I'm honest so I wouldn't think of the devious options!

JH
How does credit card fraud work? - Nsar
Of your possibilities: all of the above...

The easiest is a shaop noting down card number, expiry and the security code on reverse (why is this printed on the card). With that you can buy anything over the phone.

Never let the card out your sight basically and study your statements the day you get them

It might be worth changing passwords and your answers to standard security questions - mother's maiden name for example can often be found out from public data. I always choose name of first pet, best friend at school etc if they are available.

How does credit card fraud work? - Altea Ego
How does it work? frighteningly easily and quickly

two personal examples.

Some years ago (before chip and pin) my Amex card details were copied during a transaction at a BP station near Heathrow. The card never left my sight but was used shortly afterwards for making long distance telephone calls.

The wife had her switch card cloned last month, at a Co-Op of all places. First we new was when the bank phoned to say it had blocked a transaction for 1500 rand as clearly we could not get to pretoria in 6 hours.

they must have replaced or tapped the standard issue ingenico chip and pin reader used by the POS.

Edited by Altea Ego on 01/03/2009 at 12:21

How does credit card fraud work? - Stuartli
>>..during a transaction at a BP station>>

It could have been a lot, lot worse...:-)

tinyurl.com/awrg2b
How does credit card fraud work? - Stuartli
By the way, note the poll on the price of fuel in this link.....
How does credit card fraud work? - Mookfish
mother's maiden name for example can often be found out from public data.

I have argued with bank's and suchlike many times over that, especially as my mother's maiden name is also my middle name. I really don't see how that was ever chosen as a security question, okay your mother dosn't use that surname anymore but your grandparents, uncle's and unmarried aunt's still do.
How does credit card fraud work? - Xtype
Father in law refuses to use chip and pin and will only sign which he believes is safe although he is pretty old school.

I think the three digit pin code on the rear should not appear there - this would make buying goods over the phone a lot harder.
How does credit card fraud work? - daveyjp
There is another way - company employees selling details.
How does credit card fraud work? - Armitage Shanks {p}
My VISA card has another level of security which is available if you volunteer for it. Whenever I use it to buy anything on line I am asked to produce 3 symbols from a password that I have generated myself and is tied in to the card. Slightly time consuming but hacker proof I would hope as there are 12 symbols and I am asked for a different 3 each time, obviously
How does credit card fraud work? - ifithelps
One way to limit fraudulent use is to set yourself a realistically low credit limit.

My brother, who always pays his balance, finally managed to get the card company to put a strict limit of £1,000 on his card - a penny more and it's declined.

How does credit card fraud work? - deepwith
We had experience of this recently, alerted when my husband received an email confirming he had changed his on-line password! He hadn't so rang the 'hotline' to discover that a small sum had been taken out, followed by a large purchase at Littlewoods online.
This card had not been out of his wallet apart from buying petrol and a supermarket shop - presumably this could have been where the details were copied.
The bank extended his overdraft to cover direct debits due the following day and cancelled his cards.
What was worrying is that
a. they could not give us any explanation as how someone could change his password
b. We did not need to report this to the police as we would be re-imbursed, the bank would not report it as they would recover the money from Littlewoods and they felt that Littlewoods would probably not bother either. If this is the case, then this is a crime with little chance of punishment.

A final note, this week we received the money back BUT the Bank did not just cancel the extra overdraft, but the whole one - without any notice. That could have been very expensive had we been running on an overdraft!
How does credit card fraud work? - henry k
Recently one of my credit cards was hit with some transactions in New York.
I used the card at 21:00 in a big UK supermarket and and three hours later several transaction were made in the USA. The card company called me at 09:00 the next morning after their system had raised a query on these transactions.
I do not suspect the fraud started in the supermarket. My only suspect is a fairly local filling station belonging to a chain. I have not seen this chain implicated in the press.
If this was the source then there was a two week gap between my visit and the fraud.
I guess it was fortunate that UK & USA transactions were only three hours apart and unless the card is "shared" this should ring alarm bells.
I only use a CC for shopping and hopefully avoid my bank account from being drained.
I am still obviously still at risk getting cash from my bank account at a hole in the wall.

A very well known high street BS/Bank does not have the capability to have chip n pin if you have three cards on the same account. You revert to signature.

How does credit card fraud work? - rtj70
Many years ago when my employer switched from Amex to Diners Club for the corporate cards mine did not show. I chased it up a few times and was told on the way.

Eventually I managed to get it cancelled and a new one sent. A month or so later a bill arrived and the original card had indeed been used. And again a month or so later.... but with a charge card with (in theory) no limit they had not spent much.... I think it was Debenhams. Few places take/took Diners Club ;-)

I never leave cards out of my site when paying. And pay with credit card for the added protection and pay the bill immediately.
How does credit card fraud work? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I now recall that, a few months ago, there was a spate of card copying which originated in machines used by, among others, a large UK suprmarket chain. Their chip/pin machines, made in China, had had an extra module added during manufacture. All card details + user PIN were being automatically telephoned to a scamming centre in Bangalore and cards were being copied and used world wide. The machine appeared official and maker's seal intact and the only way to detect a fraudulent machine was that it was slightly heavier than the genuine one. No way you can protect yourself against that sort of effort!
Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - maz64
From volume 275
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72345&...f

Rang up the local plumber to arrange for a quote on a replacement shower, who asked if I'd checked the filters on the only-just-working current shower. I hadn't, so I did, incompetently as usual - drained both water tanks, got the filters out, went to the tap to give them a good rinsing... doh! Had to give them a good blow instead.

Anyway that seems to have been the main problem - now working a lot better.

F
Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - jbif
... who asked if I'd checked the filters on the only-just-working current shower. .. >>

Where are the filters, and what are they for?

Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - maz64
See manual page 28, top 2 diagrams:
www.taps4less.co.uk/pdf/Mira%20Event%20XS.pdf

I guess they're to stop something getting into the pump that shouldn't? Bit of a pain in hard water areas like ours though.

Edited by Focus {P} on 01/03/2009 at 15:26

to stop something getting into the pump that shouldn't .. >>

Thanks. My shower is gravity fed, so I can stop worrying!

Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - henry k
>> to stop something getting into the pump that shouldn't .. >>
Thanks. My shower is gravity fed so I can stop worrying!

Well I would not relax too soon.
My shower is gravity fed but I still clean out the shower head with citric acid to restore the flow rate and the spray pattern.
My Aqualisa shower control also has filters in it.
Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - mjm
Your gravity shower is fed from a tank which is filled from the main water supply. Have a look in the tank and be amazed at the amount of silt/debris which collects there over time.
.. but I still clean out the shower head with citric acid to restore the flow rate and the spray pattern. .. >>

Its a chore that I too cannot avoid [unless I install a water softener] and do it about once every 6 weeks.

.. fed from a tank which is filled from the main water supply. Have a look in the tank and be amazed at the amount of silt/debris which collects there over time. .. >>

The tank gets a clean out every summer. Last summer, while doing so, I spotted a slight wet patch under the tank and traced it to a hairline crack at the point where one pipe entered the plastic tank. That saved me from a potential flood and a lot of hassle. The new tank did cost a fair bit, and it was amazing to watch the plumber warm it up and then bend it in to a canoe shape, before squeezing it through a narrow loft access door.

Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - henry k
>>Have a look in the tank and be amazed at the amount of silt/debris which collects there over time.
>>
Assuming there is a lid on the cold water tank it is well worth £5 to get a basic " Bye law " kit to prevent all crud, except that supplied by the water company, from getting into the tank.
A while back I was trying to solve why my tank was overflowing.
I changed the washer and that did not fix the problem.
Eventually I discovered the answer, a pyramid shaped bit of grip stuck in the nozzle that the washer was trying to mate with. So required the external pipe to the tank being undone.
So I know the water co supplies crud. :-(
Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - rtj70
Years back the local water supply pipes were replaced (blue plastic). Had problems on various water inlets/valves. Taking them off found the blue bits of pipe that had been cut somewhere....
Re. Power shower that can work in non-powered mode - rtj70
Your local plumber seems as honest as our local washing machine type repair person (he does fridges, dishwashers etc. too). Tell him the problem and instead of coming out and charging you he will offer advice.

Last problem was the washing machine... referred to someone he knew who did Indesit who replaced a circuit board. A very honest chap. If anyone in the Manchester area wants/need to know I will pass on details ;-)

Sound like you saved some money for now Focus.
Algae on patio - Happy Blue!
I have an Indian Stone patio laid about two years ago. It gets some green slimy algae on it, which I have removed once with a power washer. Is there an alternative way to do this without the time, effort, waste of water, power etc etc?
Algae on patio - Nsar
Hi,

Jeyes fluid in the appropriate dilution in a watering can and then a good stiff brush will get rid of it, but don't use if the water will run off onto grass or flower beds.

Once in two years isn't a bad average
Algae on patio - dnc1781
www.kilco.co.uk/products/kilco/dairy-hygiene/red-l...e

1. Add 250ml to an old plastic watering can.

2. Add 5 litres water.

3. Stir and spray.

No brushing required.

Cleans stone, concrete or tarmac.

Repeat annually.

25L drum = £15 inc vat .....cheaper than Jeyes!

Edited by dnc1781 on 02/03/2009 at 00:56

Algae on patio - Nsar
Thanks for that. Would it kill grass if it ran onto it at that kind of strength?

Algae on patio - FotheringtonThomas
It's household bleach. If you want to try it out, get 5l. at Lidl for about 65p. If you get it on the grass, it will kill it (kills most things and will leave your slabs surgically clean).
Algae on patio - Stuartli
>>Jeyes fluid in the appropriate dilution in a watering can..>>

I would second that suggestion - in fact I've got through a new one-litre can doing just that over the weekend..:-)

However, Jeyes also produces a similar product, but intended purely for flagging, patios etc rather than the more versatile fluid - it's somewhat cheaper to buy and comes in plastic bottles rather than a tin can.

By the way, Wilkinsons proved the cheapest source for Jeyes Fluid at £7.32 for a litre can.
Algae on patio - JH
Stuart, try a farm supply shop. I paid about £25 for a 5 litre can of Jeyes fluid.

No one has mentioned that you have to scrub with a yard brush 30 minutes later otherwise you're left with dead (black) algae instead of live (green). The little devils don't 'arf cling on.

JH
>>No one has mentioned that you have to scrub with a yard brush 30 minutes later>>

See Nsar's post on Sun 1 Mar 09 22:42...:-)

Also listed in the instructions for use.

Thanks for the info about a 5L can, but I only use Jeyes Fluid once a year before power spraying - cuts down a lot of the effort needed as a result.

For similar cleaning purposes, such as the bathroom shower cubicle, we've always been happy with diluted thin bleach sprayed (as mentioned earlier in the thread) onto the tiled surfaces. Cleans the grout a treat...:-)
Algae on patio - BazzaBear {P}
Not exactly the answer you're asking for, but might help:

You can get a 'patio cleaner' attachment for your pressure washer. This takes the form of a round shield with the sprayers within it.

They can seem quite expensive, but they work extremely well. They make the job much quicker, cleaning a much larger section of patio on each pass, they use less water and power for much the same reason, and the biggest boon of all - where the normal lance flings the algae up every wall in your vicinity (and usually up your legs too), the shield element means that they're a lot less messy too.

If you have a Karscher, their models are called T-Racers I believe.
Algae on patio - FotheringtonThomas
You can get a 'patio cleaner' attachment for your pressure washer. This takes the form
of a round shield with the sprayers within it.

www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090302.p.Pa...3
The Lidl W5 Universal Silicone Oil in aerosol form at 99p, mentioned on the link, is on sale most of the year round.

I find it's particularly good for car door and boot locks, accelerator control springs and similar parts of a vehicle - good around the home as well.
Washing machines in hard water areas - Happy Blue!
In my holiday apartment overseas we have a Bauknecht washing machine. The quality of the wash is appalling. The wash can take over 90 minutes (compared to about 42 minutes for our Bosch at home) and stains are simply not removed. We are using well known branded detergents and 40C temperature.

Apart from the water being very hard (and I have used Calgon gel in the wash as well), my only concern is that the machine may not be filling with all the water it needs (although all the washing comes out properly damp).

The machine is used daily, but for no more than 10 weeks a year.

Any thoughts about improving the wash quality? How do I tell if there is enough water in the machine?
Washing machines in hard water areas - Altea Ego
Has it ever worked well? Not just a matter of being a carp washing machine? - they do exist.
Washing machines in hard water areas - deepwith
Check the amount/pressure of the water filling the machine. If there is insufficient water and/or pressure, this would account for the increased operating time and the poor wash quality(lack of water to actually utilise the detergent and rinse). Sometimes happens when using a diy kit to plumb machine in or if there is a kink in the hose. Some machines have an extra washer in the hose fitment for use with a high pressure water supply, which perhaps should have been removed - check installation instruction.
Easiest way to check is to listen/observe water filling machine and compare to one at home.

Edited by deepwith on 02/03/2009 at 00:38

Washing machines in hard water areas - henry k
I agree with the previous suggestions.
Water pressure is important.
My local waterboard have recently lower the pressure ( to improve their leakage statistics). They state this is all legal etc.etc.
This has certainly made my hose supply very poor. My neigbour complained that her mains shower was now useless. The flow rate of my house was compared with hers. Mine registered 22 ( litres a minute?) and hers was 8. They dug up the pavement and found that two extra ninety degree elbows in the supply was the cause.
SWMBO has not reported any increased washing time.
Washing machines in hard water areas - FotheringtonThomas
Make sure it's filling by running an empty cycle and looking in it.
Make sure it isn't run with too many things in it.
Make sure that the "water save" button isn't pressed.
Use liquid detergent.
Calgon is, IMO, a waste of time and money.
Washing machines in hard water areas - Happy Blue!
Thanks all - will give it a check next time I go out.
Gas boiler 'leak' alarm - legacylad
My elderly mother has just had a new gas boiler installed.One of her friends suggests she gets an 'alarm' which monitors the air around and beeps if gas escapes. Any suggestions please, or should I just contact my local plumbers merchants?
Gas boiler 'leak' alarm - Altea Ego
Does she want a carbon monoxide alarm or a leaking gas alarm. The former is more likely and dangerous - tho to be honest less likely now she has a new boiler.

Kidde 9CO-5UK Carbon Monoxide Detector

21 quid at amazon.
Gas boiler 'leak' alarm - daveyjp
The friend is probably talking of a carbon monoxide alarm. It's a sensible idea to get one fitted. My parents did when their boiler was moved from the kitchen to the hallway.

Plenty of outlets sell these, just take note of where it is best mounted.
Gas boiler 'leak' alarm - henry k
The friend is probably talking of a carbon monoxide alarm. It's a sensible idea to get one fitted.

>>
To stop her worrying, buy a carbon monoxide detector.
IMO she will not totally believe any statement about it is not needed.
It is a small investment not measured in £££s
I totally agree with AE
>>...- tho to be honest less likely now she has a new boiler.

Most domestic boilers are "room sealed / balance flue" types.
So provided they are correctly installed & maintained the boiler takes no air from the room and no combustion products can enter the room.
Refund or not advice again please - Xtype
Ongoing from my previous thread regarding supplying a computer and the customer trying to reject it - see below for original post.
Well the cheque has now bounced, Im going to go round and see the lady today but she is being quite unreasonable and says that she doesnt want the PC full stop. I am willing to come to a price that she is happy with or do something to try to end this as I have better things to do than chase this up.

Can anyone advise where I stand legally? She has asked for a PC which I have supplied, installed in her house which she was happy with, then the next day she has cancelled a cheque and said the pc is not of satisfactory quality.
She has also said the new I have supplied is not as good as her 7 year old one.

Please advise. Thank you.

Original post from IHAQ

I have started up a small IT business servicing local business's and homes.
Last week i went round to a ladys house and she asked me to supply a PC and set it up with a budget of around £300. I purchased a Pc for £220 and then removed her old files off her PC and installed them on the new one and set it up etc. I spent approx 4/5 hours doing these tasks and went round to install the pc which she was happy with.
I had a call yesterday saying she want to return it as ive made £80 profit on it?!
I have asked her why she wants to return it and all that she has said is that there is a £80 overcharge?

As she has used the computer Im unable to return it the the shop I brought it from soif i do take it back off her then il be out of pocket.

I have cashed the cheque she gave me for the work but she has not said on the phone that the cheque is cancelled. Ive tried to reason with her and said id evensplit the difference but I cant work for free.

Help please!
Refund or not advice again please - jbif
Please advise. Thank you. >>

Since you ask, I shall. You may not like it, and it may seem harsh, but it may do you some good. All IMO:
I have started up a small IT business .. >>

Did you take full advice from the numerous sources available before starting your business on the full implications for running a business and the skills needed? As you are asking questions of a fundamental nature here, it would appear that you have not done your homework on what it entails to run a business. Have you ever wondered why tradespeople charge £50-£100 as call-out charges, and then charge as much per hour for their expertise?
[ Hint: It is to cover overheads, such as difficult customers, for your obligations as a trader, for lawyer's and accountant's fees, etc. If you need and want good advice, you will have to pay for it - apart from what you get here for free, of course! ]

To me, it seems you have entered a minefield with a blindfold.

In the specific case in question, I think you have three choices:
1. You have come across a tough cookie, and there will be many like her who think you are running a refund/returns policy like M&S used to [even they don't do what they used to in the old days]. Take the hit, and take it as a cheap under £300 lesson in how not to run a business. Then give up this business. OR
2. Sue the "lady" in a small claims court, for the full costs including your "bounced cheque" charges. And give up the business.
3. If you really want to continue in business, search out all the business, pricing, costing, accounting, etc., and consumer and trade protection laws etc., information that you need to set up and run a business, and understand fully all the implications of running as a proper business.

Refund or not advice again please - geoff1248
I think that jbif is being a little harsh on you, which is not to say that he isn't correct.
Firstly you have learnt a lesson to ensure that all orders are in writing with your clients as indeed this will not be the only awkward customer you will encounter.
My view on this particular customer is to sue her in the small claims court. It doesn't cost very much and may just force her to pay up. You have absolutely nothing to loose by doing this. As jbif says don't forget to load your claim with all the costs of your additional time in suing her.
On no account reach a compromise with her.
Refund or not advice again please - Chris S
Get the PC back (I assume it was secondhand at that price) and you'll be able to sell it to somebody else. Madam may even pay up rather than risk loosing her files.

Then put the £80 your owed down to experience.
Refund or not advice again please - Xtype
no it was brand new
Refund or not advice again please - Altea Ego
In his rather acerbic way JBIF has given you the key advice in his three points.

Esentially you two entered into a contract, you to supply goods and services, her to pay for it. If its of merchantable quality, was performed with reasonable care and mostly met the terms of the contract she is in breach and you can sue her. The contract can be verbal or written (i assume it was verbal? do you have any written scope? if not why not?)

Jbif is right - there is NO money or business in "at home" PC repairs/support unless you have huge economy of scale. The stuff is just too cheap to buy. Its a comodity market now, if it breaks you chuck it and that incldues the software.

The only money to be made of of private punters is specialist stuff. If you go for data recovery that can be a business - its a distress purchase so you can pick their pockets.

Edited by Altea Ego on 03/03/2009 at 12:26

Refund or not advice again please - daveyjp
Next time consider the value of the cheque being presented. Ideally it needs to be below the guarantee limit on the card otherwise you are open to chancers.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/03/2009 at 12:32

Refund or not advice again please - rtj70
Not many cheque guarantee cards go above £250 though and a lot of people will only have it up to £50.

I'm still not sure what the customer thought she was getting. You provided a service and sourced a new PC. She should pay for both. But did she think she was only paying for the PC and think you made a mark-up on it. She seems not to realise it took time and effort to source it, install it, transfer files etc.
Refund or not advice again please - Stuartli
I thought it was a criminal offence to issue a cheque without enough funds to cover it?

But I assume that the cheque was stopped before being issued, which would involve a fee having to be paid by the lady in question.
Refund or not advice again please - jbif
.. I assume that the cheque was stopped before being issued .. >>

IIRC, from the original thread, the "lady" said she would stop the cheque as she was unhappy with the PC and/or service.
www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-knowle...l

On the face of it, it seems Xtype has started a business as a "reseller" and "installer and service technician".

Salutary lessons here:
www.startups.co.uk/6678842908449235991/a-sole-trad...l
"Phil Coppell is usually paid cash .... . But as a self-employed press and commercial photographer .... he used small claims procedures "with frightening regularity"."

www.startups.co.uk/6678842911479672118/avoiding-th...l
"Get it in writing
Try not to start work until you have a signed, written agreement. Both legally and commercially, you will generally be in a much stronger position if you can point to a formal contract setting out exactly what has been agreed. e.g. what the price is, when the work must be done by and so on. ... "

Edited by jbif on 03/03/2009 at 12:59

Refund or not advice again please - Mapmaker
Re jbif's point 3:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32282&...e
Refund or not advice again please - John24
Maybe my old memory is failing me but I seem to remember that the banks put a hold on the value of a correctly issued but 'stopped' cheque pending resolution of the dispute. If correct, doesn't solve OP's problem, but may put pressure on Mrs Customer's budget.