Sleeping with engine running - merlin
I pulled into the motorway services about 7:30am today with the idea of grabbing some sleep. I picked a quiet spot away from the buildings. Within a few minutes a new BMW X5 parked alongside with the same idea. Surprisingly he just laid back with his diesel still running & fell asleep.

I can understand the need to keep an engine running in the Artic but not on the outskirts of Birmingham when the weather is mild. It was very tempting to knock on his window and wake him up to tell him his engine was running but I thought better of it preferring to continue my journey.

Is leaving an engine running while taking a nap acceptable and common? To me it seems wrong.
Sleeping with engine running - Peter D
Excessive idling is now I believe illegal since January 08. Regards Peter
Sleeping with engine running - b308
Certainly not recomended doing it with a petrol engine with an exhaust leak... you'd never wake up!

Seems a bit mean spirited on the OP, though... think I'd have knocked him up and requested he switch it off!
Sleeping with engine running - Mr X
I think that only applies on a public highway and not on private property which a Motorway service area would come under.
Sleeping with engine running - Sofa Spud
I think it could be seen as a case of not being in full control of a motor vehicle.
Private land or not, it's a place to which the public have access.

When I was a lorry driver, we were told that if we needed to take a nap we should not do so while in the driving seat, even when parked off the road and with the engine off, as it was an offence. If you wanted a sleep, you moved to the passenger seat, sprawling over the engine cover, if necessary. Not that I ever needed a roadside nap!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 24/02/2009 at 20:55

Sleeping with engine running - Hamsafar
While not arctic, it would be too cold too sleep to be comfortable after about 10 minutes of no engine heat or seat heaters. I would use my engine, but not park to someone else if possible, especially if asleep because the noise can be annoying. Sometimes I stop for lunch and leave the engine running for the heater, but try and park away from others, or at least away from people who look as though they would care.
Sleeping with engine running - SpamCan61 {P}
Back in the mid eighties me and my mate(s) would follow various bands on tour round the country, usually kipping in the car ( Chevette then Marina then Viva 1800 ). I can't remember being that cold at night, even on Snake Pass with a few inches of snow on the car overnight.
Sleeping with engine running - injection doc
I had a visit by plod when i was sleeping in a layby & had a full blown lecture on sleeping with the engine running & not in full control blah blah blah!
I would of reported him for wasting tax payers money on fuel & adding to global warming. I would of definatley of had pleasure on banging as hard as I could to wake him up just as the plod who did it to me & as he was aggressive with it!
Sleeping with engine running - Robin Reliant
I think that only applies on a public highway and not on private property which
a Motorway service area would come under.

>>
The same rules apply in a motorway service area as on the public highway, or in any other area to which the public have access.
If thats the case, how come the police won't get involved in accidents on supermarket car parks or motorway car parks. ?
Sleeping with engine running - Old Navy
If thats the case how come the police won't get involved in accidents on supermarket
car parks or motorway car parks. ?

OK Mr X I'll bite. Road traffic act applies, police have better things to do and are not required for non injury accidents.
Sleeping with engine running - martint123
I remember when we did a 2500 mile, 9 country dash one weekend in November we ended up having to run the engine when having a couple of hours kip well up in the Alps. It was a touch nippy.
Sleeping with engine running - oldnotbold
I delivered a caravan I sold to a buyer near Stirling. It suited me to drive up one night, sleep in the caravan in an M-way services, hand it over in the am, and drive back. It was at the end of the cold spell about three weeks ago, and the forecast was for -6C overnight.

I took two sleeping bags, extra socks, hat etc. Woke up at 0200 bursting, and very cold. I turned on the gas heater full blast, and climbed back into bed, still fully clothed, two bags etc.

Woke two hours later boiling hot. Stripped off a layer of clothes, removed one bag, and turned down the heater. The last two hours of the night were really quite comfortable. Woke at 0600 to the automotive dawn chorus of a big wagon firing up, and running for 15 minutes while the driver boiled his kettle etc.

It was very nice to come home....
Sleeping with engine running - jbif
OK Mr X I'll bite ... >>

Too bad you had to bite. Now we await this thread being hijacked trolled in to another Police-bashing jobbie.
Bish Bosh Bash.

Cantona "When the seagulls follow the trawler, .... " etc. etc."

Sleeping with engine running - Pugugly
Road traffic act applies

Not quite - it may or may not apply depending on layout signage and access issues. May also be RTA road in one bit of the car park but not in another. Very site specific. Unusually (for that era) a vague bit of law (far more common now with laws written in text speak). Huge amount of case law around it.
Sleeping with engine running - FotheringtonThomas
Gosh, don't you know? Must be eXasperating.
Sleeping with engine running - welshlad
excessive idling isnt that when your laying on the sofa when the wife's asked you to paint the kitchen
Sleeping with engine running - grumpyscot
Many trucks have cab heaters these days so don't need to keep their engines running.

There are many younger drivers being prosecuted due to the snow earlier this year and them using empty supermarket car parks to do a few donuts in the snow. This is often dealt with on www.Pepipo.co.uk. These are 'Public' places and the RTA applies, tax, insurance, MOT. Even Glen Eagles car part at the hotel is a 'public' place as far as the RTA is concerned. A few years ago a visitor to a function drank too much so left his keys behind the desk and then slept in his X5, the police woke him up and breatherlised him, failed, taken to police station, failed, charged and later convicted of drunk in charge of a motor vehicle and banned, it even appeared in the papers. Regards Peter
On that basis, the law is an ass.
Sleeping with engine running - Cliff Pope
The highway code advises running the engine to keep warm.
Yes it does Under 'Adverse Winter Conditions', lets use some sense here either keep warm or suffer hypothermia in two feet of snow. It is the Highway 'Code' Not necessarily the Law, that is the RTA. Regards Peter
.*******
Sleeping with engine running - Bill Payer
Many BMW's, and surely the X5, have residual heating anyway which, with the press of a button, keeps the car warm for an hour or so after the engine is turned off.

Some Merc's have it too, and I know from comments on the Merc forums, that many owners don't realise they have that capability.