1999 1.0 smoky exhaust - neilo575
Hi this car is proving to be a nightmare .Shot steering rack among other things .My question is about the smoke I am getting from the exhaust it has slight smoke on tick over but when revved hard it starts to pour white/grey smoke .Does any one have any ideas please.
Neil
1999 1.0 smoky exhaust - Rob E
Hi Neil,

Surprised you've had no response to your 2 posts. Back Roomers are usually great at helping out. It could well be that the smoke from the exhaust is entirely normal, especially if the smoke appears when the engine is cold and/ or the weather is cold. You'd be surprised how much smoke can come out on a cold day when the engine is warming up and you increase the revs. However, I don't think of it as smoke, it's more like whiteish 'steam'. If this is accompanied by condensation (water droplets) coming out of the exhaust, it's perfectly normal.

If the smoke is blue and it happens in all weather/ temperatures, the car is burning oil. However, I doubt this very much. Daihatsu engines are extremely tough, (I speak as a fellow Daihatsu driver). How many miles has the car done? Has it been serviced lately?

How are you getting on with the steering rack? Managed to get the right one? If all else fails, Daihatsu dealers are good at getting the parts, and labour reasonable too.

Good luck, let me know how the car's going, Rob
1999 1.0 smoky exhaust - neilo575
Hi Rob/any helpers I finally got the rack sorted at last .I have one more problem to get over now erratic idle it ticks over to high does anyone have any ideas
Thanks for any help Neil