04 1.6 funny noise - do i need a new gearbox? - The Rev 1
Hi, ive owned a 407SW for about 9 months, its an 04 and done 88,000 miles, ive had a few problems with it since buying it, clutch, ball joint, starting motor, all in all tho to drive is a great car, good looking, and smooth, however my problem..

lately when ive been driving im getting a noise coming from either the engine compartment or the wheel arch which is a vrum vrum vrum noise, almost as if something is rubbing as the wheels go round, but it only does it when im using the accelartor, and gets faster as the car goes faster, but if i take my foot of the pedal the noise fades away, which would indicate to me that its not actually something catching on the wheels, otherwise it would be doing it all the time.. the noise has started to get louder, it doesnt however do this all the time, most times but not all the time.. does this sound like a flywheel problem to anyone, id take it to the garage but they want a million quid just to look at it.. your ideas and input would be appreciated.

many thanks

The Rev

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2009 at 14:49

04 1.6 funny noise - Altea Ego
Sounds like a wheel bearing. doe sit change when you put a little pressure ont he steering wheel left or right?
04 1.6 funny noise - The Rev 1
hi, thanks for the advice, read ur message yesterday, i have driven it today, and to be honest its difficult to tell.. when the noise starts i have been moving the wheel but i havent noticed any difference but as i said it is hard to tell, i have asked a friend who knows alittle about cars and funnily enough tho he said the same thing, might be time i booke dit into a garage.

cheers.
04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - The Rev 1
ok, ive posted on here before, but didnt manage to sort the problem out.

i have a 407sw, 1.6hdi -110bhp. 04.

i am getting a vrum vrum rubbing noise when i am driving in 1st & 2nd at fairly low speeds, at first i thought it may have been because the tyres needed changing or that the tracking needed doing, ive had that done no joy, then i was told by a mechanic that the ball joint was wearing it might be that, had that done still no joy..

ive since discovered that the noise stops as soon as i put my foot on the clutch, take my foot off the clutch the noise comes back, only had a new clutch 6 months ago, either way it doesnt do it in the other gears or at speed, so i was wondering if it could have anything to do with the gear box.. or am i way off again like i was with the ball joint.

the noise is getting louder, and im about ready to attack the car fawlty towers style.

{moved to your previous post as related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2009 at 14:48

04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - andrewuwe
Sounds like it could just possibly be drive shaft. Jack the suspect wheel up and try to detect any play in the cv joints. If you have proper axle stands you could prop the car up REALLY SAFELY and then put it in gear and see if you can track down the noise. P.S. paying money to garages when you are not sure of the problem is for rich people.
04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - The Rev 1
cheers, i will do. and as for paying money to garages to track noises, i agree.. also you can speak to different garages and they will tell you completly different things.. cheers.
04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - TurboD
That is because they are guessing - like us, but we do it for free.

Gearbox noise - in my experience (of which is not a lot as they last for a very long time with normal use) is more a whirring sound as the teeth wear or the shaft bearing wear out. Also jumping out of gear come along as forks wear.

CV joints would wear much sooner, but 88K sounds a little early- I am not familiar with PUgs so don't know how well they are made.

A Shoda/Ford/Vw person basically.
04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - ianjoh
Rev - It sounds like your problem is with the intermediate bearing on the offside drive shaft. These can start to rumble at less than 30k if you are unlucky, it is not a big job and a competent diy mech should be able to change it in a couple of hours. Its not an urgent rush job as these can rumble on for many K miles as mine did before I got round to changing it!
04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - bob121

just wondering if you did resolve this problem as it sounds like I have this noise on my car

Bob

04 1.6 do i need a new gear box. - wishful

i have a peugeot 407 having the same issue however when i put foot on brake the noise goes away and car settles down refs to 700rpm when i remove from brake peddle revs return to 14oorpm and verl lound noise when driving although driving not effected noise is worrying any ideas please

04 1.6 funny noise - do i need a new gearbox? - aland13uk

HI I was just wondering if any of the people above have a definite solution to this problem as ours has started making this noise too, sounds like a scuffing/ dull noise when accelerating mostly heard between 2000 3000 rpm. any help would be grateful
thanks

alan