2001 1.8 Cam Belt - mrwantinfo
Hello
Im looking at buying a Vectra 2001 1.8 LS which has 85000 on the clock. Also has had its cam belt changed at 40000. Now i know the service manual states that they can be changed every 80000/8years but i've also read that they need to be changed every 40000. So which is correct? Would i need to change the belt if i bought this car? if so what would the average cost be?
Any advice welcome. Thanks
2001 1.8 Cam Belt - Dynamic Dave
Yep, cambelt interval on this engine is every 40,000 miles or 4 yrs (whichever comes sooner).

Also consider having the waterpump changed at the same time as it is driven from the cambelt. If the pump were to fail before the next belt change, it's a greater expense than to change it at the same time as the belt.

Cost will vary from £150 upwards, depending on where you take it. Always fit a full camebelt kit (comprising of tensioner, pulleys, etc) rather than just a belt, as 99% of the time its the tensioner thats the first component to fail.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2009 at 12:35

2001 1.8 Cam Belt - Chris M
Vauxhall changed the recommendation to 40,000, so it needs changing again. Also at that mileage it would be wise to change the water pump as well.
Don't know about price, but I'd guess about £250 from indy. Not a particularly difficult job if you are a DIYer.