02 1.8 misfire after start up - Mondeo_John
End Nov after 140 motorway miles, engine stuttered badly as revs fell in built up area with roundabouts and junctions etc.
Since then has been sometimes difficult to start on v.cold or damp mornings - rev counter spins to max as engine is trying to catch and temperature flips to fahrenheit and trip milometer resets. I've always got it started within 60 secs of trying. Car will stutter at 2000rpm and then I'm up to motorway speeds as it is dual carriageway in every direction from home, and it seems ok. Though even when warm it's not immume to this stuttering.
Garage plugged it into the diagnostic computer and found nothing wrong, but they changed plugs and ht leads and put something in to clean the valves. This didn't fix it.
Car is 02 and has 97k miles. Pattern of usage changed about 1 year ago and car now gets a few journeys per week of approx. 10 miles and the occasional longer run.
It's quite possible that my garage has never seen exactly this before - but quite likely that someone else out there has had this problem.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2009 at 21:07