Oxford to Devon - doable? - David Horn
I want to go home*. I'm in Oxford, does anyone know how far the snow reaches? I can see 2 inches out of the window.

Car has ESP and I'm a careful driver. Is it ludicrous to think about attempting this?

Cheers,

David.

*Home is in Devon. Don't want to hang around for the weekend in Oxford, it's boring and OXF61 to Bournemouth has been cancelled 4 days in a row now.
Scratch that, I just heard the travel report.

Summary:

M4 - try it and die
M5 at Bristol - try it and die
Oxford to Devon - doable? - PoloGirl
Presuming you might try to go A34, A303.... don't. The Basingstoke end of that is under yet more snow and ice. It's not pleasant!

Oxford to Devon - doable? - turbo11
Work colleagues from swindon and Lambourn area have not made it into work.
Oxford to Devon - doable? - csgmart
No is the short answer.

M4 around Bristol and all ways north, east, south and west for a few miles are under several inches of snow.

Looks pretty though and I get to work from home for a change which nice. Cup of tea and biscuit anyone?
Oxford to Devon - doable? - mfarrow
OXF61 to Bournemouth has been cancelled 4 days in a row now.

The direct hourly train service is still running though.
Oxford to Devon - doable? - FotheringtonThomas
Unless the roads are actually blocked with abandoned vehicles, I'd give it a go, just take it easy & enjoy it - you can always stop at a B&B or similar. I travelled that way (& much further) in the early '80s when we had a bit of snow - on a motorbike. It was great! Wouldn't bother with motorways, though, not so much fun.
Oxford to Devon - doable? - rtj70
I've driven to Manchester from Swindon today. Stuck to the main roads (so M4, A419, A417, M5, M6, M56, M60). All clear. Local roads in Swindon have been treacherous this week.

And for most of the journey the roads were very very quiet. I cannot comment on going down to Devon though.

Yesterday was fun driving into Swindon itself - don't think they'd gritted and the temperatures dropped to -3 overnight. This morning my car was under 4" of snow - took a while to clear that off in the hotel car park.

Edited by rtj70 on 05/02/2009 at 15:39

Shortly after writing that post I set off anyway. A little bit slippery on the ungritted side road I live on, but everything else had at least one clear lane, the motorways were a doddle and virtually empty.

A34
A420
M4
M5
A38
A392

All passable with little or no problem. Traction control didn't come on at all when pulling away and the ABS kicked in just once when I tested it in the deeper snow near my house.

I'd just like to say that I hope I never meet one particular HGV driver who misjudged his trip round the roundabout and sent his wheels through 6 inches of slush right next to my car. There was a loud, wet thump and all of it ended up plastered to the side - at which point I couldn't see out of any of the offside windows. Such is life.
Oxford to Devon - doable? - Xtype
Ive been to Heathrow airport and back today from Birmingham and was surprised how clear the roads are. I guess people are staying in and avoiding the roads.
Dropped the wifes folks off at the airport and got to use the father in laws new range rover TDV8. What an amazing car and great on the motorway.