Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - NickS
I have a 97R Astra 1.7GLS TDS. One of the bulbs that illuminates the fan switch at night has blown, and i'm damned if i can work out how to replace it. Please help!

Also The radio (Blaupunkt car 300) is v.poor and i would like a CD player, can i buy any one or do i need one that is compatible witht he seperate radio display?

Thanks!
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - <0.One%
Try looking at

www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/bulbs.htm

and third FAQ at
cavweb.froya.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=foru...0

The 2nd link above is a section of the Cavalier forum.
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - Dynamic Dave
Also The radio (Blaupunkt car 300) is v.poor and i would
like a CD player, can i buy any one or do
i need one that is compatible witht he seperate radio display?

You have several choices:

You can buy any radio/cd/cassette system and plug in. The separate display will no longer work for the radio, but it will still show the temperature, date, time. The clock will no longer update itself from the radio RDS signal, so you'll have to set that manually as and when it loses/gains time.

You can upgrade the existing system with another Vauxhall one. ie, Car400, Car500, ect. Still use the existing display. Blaupunkt, Philips, or Grundig are all the same radios for Vauxhalls. Goto main Vaux agent for info.

Kenwood now offer a radio/cd that sill use the existing dash display.

You can buy a CD player that will run on the existing Car 300. Goodmans do a portable one that connects to the car radio through a dummy audio cassette. You can also get a CD player that plugs inline with your ariel lead and you tune it into a blank FM radio station to listen to CD.

If still unsure, look through Yellow pages for your nearest ICE (In Car Entertainment) dealer who will advise.
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - robert
Go for a CDR500- get one on ebay for about £100 ......
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - Andrew Scott
I assume you have the last of the 'F'Series Astra (Old Shape), here the heater control panel bulbs are switched on with the ignition,with the result that one of the 2 bulbs blows annually, I replace all at the same time.

To get to the bulbs you need to :-
1. Remove Air Vent Outlets on centre of fascia.
2. The Cowling around the steering column.
3. The Instrument Binnacle Surround.
4. The Clock LED unit.
5. The Radio, having first used an allen key, and special radio removal tool ( available From Halfords etc.)
6. Unhook the control cable for the air distribution flaps.
7. The Knobs for the heater temperature control, air distribution, and fan speed/heated rear window.
8. Remove the Fan Speed/HRW Switch.
9. Remove the cowling around the Centre of the fascia.
10. The bulbs are hidden behind the rectangular perspex sheet with all the painted control motives.

Replace BOTH bulbs, All this work for a £1 bulb.

Andrew
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - svpworld
I recommend getting LED replacements, I've seen them about in electronic suppliers - 12V white LED lamps. I dont know why manufacturers dont use them, they would last a lifetime and save the hassle of getting the dash off! The only problem with LED's is that they don't dim so well as filament lamps and also arent as bright over the spread of the lamp (narrower beams). My cavalier (L reg) had the same prob, the heater control bulbs blew about ever 3 months - got fed up replacing it in the end and left it!!

S.

I recommend getting LED replacements, I've seen them about in electronic
suppliers - 12V white LED lamps. I dont know why manufacturers
dont use them,

Because the manufactuer knows that through dealer franchises they can charge the non technical folk an extortionate amount of money to do the job.
My Dad was quoted £50 to change the LCD odometer backlight bulb on his "S" reg Astra which had only done 16,000 miles when it failed. I did the job in ¼ hour and the bulb cost 40p.
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - bogey147
Would you mind giving me a short list that describes what I need to do to get to the LCD back bulb, please? Also please post the bulb type, thanks.
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - Dynamic Dave
Would you mind giving me a short list that describes what I need to do to get to the LCD back bulb,

Are you refering to the odometer bulb? If so, here's some instructions I previously posted in another thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=71...1
please? Also please post the bulb type, thanks.

The odometer back light uses this type of bulb:-

www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=63

This bulb also fits in other locations behind the dash, as well as this one:-

www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=90

But you'll have to look at each individual bulb for the wattage output.
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - John S
Nick

I'd check the fault is with the radio before you change it. vauxhall radios may look basic, but normally work very well. This car may have an aerial amplifier, and these can fail.

If you use a system which doesn't drive the dash display, there is one potential problem If my old Corsa was anything to go by (it had an after market radio/cass when I bought it) you'll find that when the 'new' radio is switched most of the dash display blanks out awaiting input from the radio. I found that most annoying. There may be a wiring mod to prevent this, but I eventually bought a pukka Vx radio s/h for the car.

When you get a new Vx radio, of a different type to the original, you may find the display still doesn't work. I fitted a CAR400 in place of the original CAR300, and the dash display needed recoding at the dealer (£10) for it to operate with the different radio type! Although similar in appearance, the radios are actually quite different.

Regards

John S
Dashboard bulbs/Vauxhall Radio - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Coincidentally did the bulb replacement job on an astra today. Remove 3 screws from column shroud, the 2 hidden ones face on to the shroud (philips not pozidriv) and 4 screws from binnacle surround. Tease out two face level vents by working at them on the sides & remove two screws exposed and flick the air control out of the operating knob. Remove the littlerubber mat in front of the radio display, remove the display and remove the other 2 screws. Pull off the temp and direction knobs and turn fan knob to position 3. push a small screwdriver into the hole in the bottom of the knob to release it. Undo the two bright screws and the other 2 screws in the bottom corners of the console and the screw adjacent to the column. Ping off the ignition switch and ease the console complete with radio clear of the dash. Unplug the electrics to the heater controls and the two red wires to the recirc button, ease out the bulbholder and replace the three bulbs. Pull the front off the recirc button (catch the 2 springs!) and change that bulb also. It may help to have an assistant handy to hold the centre console out of the way while you change the bulbs. Then into reverse to put it all back together, total time 35mins.