Body repair - a fair price? - Richard Hall
I asked a body shop to quote me for repairs to my Audi Coupe, which was scraped down one side by a hit and run driver. It has a deep scrape on the upper side of the rear wing and door, and scuff marks to the corner of the rear bumper and spoiler. No panels to replace - the bodyshop intends to beat out the damage, skim with filler and then blend in the repaired areas (which will be pretty close to respraying the RH side of the car). Anyway, they quoted me £800 plus VAT (based on around 24 hours work), and although I know how much mechanical repairs cost, I haven't a clue about bodywork. So is this reasonable, or should I shop around? This place has a good reputation locally, and was full of newish BMWs and Mercedes being straightened out when I visited.

I reckon the difference between my car's value now and its value with the damage repaired would be around £1,000, so it's (just) worth doing. Also I like the car, and it wouldn't be easy to find another one in such good mechanical condition.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Body repair - a fair price? - Robbo
Does the body shop know that this is not an insurance job ? My experience is that there are 2 prices for any bodywork: one which the insurance company is charged, and one which a cash customer is charged. Needless to say, the insurance companies get fleeced.

For comparison, my insurance company had to pay £550 + parts + vat to replace the front wing, front bumper, indicator and door trim on my Vectra. I was quoted £350 + parts + vat for cash. This was a large, reputable bodyshop who deal with hundreds of (mainly insurance) claims every week, not some dodgy Phil Mitchell type place.

Robbo
Body repair - a fair price? - Chad.R
I haven't gotta clue about body repair prices either but - earlier this year I had both front and rear bumpers and several "shopping trolley" dents on the passenger side, their locations meaning that basically the whole side of the car from window level down, was repainted for just over £600 - very good job can't tell where the new paint blends in.

May be worthhwile shopping around - although if you "trust" the bodyshop maybe you'll have some peace of mind having it done by them.

Chad.R