96 1.9 EMS light, loss of power, black smoke. - Dansdad
Oh dear. Yesterday we had a big problem with our Zantia Estate. Firstly the light comes on (EMS Orange), then she notices a drop in power and a deal of smoking out of the back, and nurses it to a local supermarket car park and calls me, who knows jack about engines. I check fuel (on reserve),all belts in place, oil dipstick, water and antifreeze was done just before Xmas.
With a bit of a turnover after 10 minutes it starts again, and I'm able to make several circuits of the carpark no warning light on, so after the customary "dont drive the thing all the time on reserve" row, we bung some fuel in and drive back to where I'm working, during which time it starts belching smoke again, pretty black, and when I park it it leaves a smut mark on the ground of soot.
We call the AA, and he says he thinks its over injecting " but its OK to nurse it home" about 3 miles and he'll follow her. I finish my work and get home to find it obviously got hauled on the truck, and he's now saying its terminal. Apparently sparks as well as smoke were coming out of the exhaust, and theres a horrible metallic smell of burning.

Today we recalled the AA to see if they can get a diagnostic bloke (a mechanic) round to have a proper look. After a bit of head scratching, he thinks its the cat breaking up. Any advice gratefully received as its a scrap or save situation, and these church mice are having a problem stumping up for cheese let alone hefty garage bills

slt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/02/2009 at 17:46

1996 1.9 Black Smoke out of me Zantia - RichardW
Is this a diesel or petrol?
1996 1.9 Black Smoke out of me Zantia - Dansdad
This is a Turbo diesel LX, 1996. 1.9
1996 1.9 Black Smoke out of me Zantia - Dansdad
Well today I picked her up. My local experts have had it in and have checked the pump, injectors including the "lift injector?", and have put it down to ECU - given the value we've decided to ask here again - any ideas?
I picked it up this morning, and in driving it on to the trailer (only just), it was smoking like mad, irregular idling, and without warning the alarm started once the key was turned off. Get it home, start it up and it drives like a dream off the trailer, and I shunt it into a resting place to remove what we can salvage. It idled perfectly for 20 minutes, and revved to 4000 no problem as smooth as. Turned her off, went back half hour later, black smoke, no idle, smoke/fumes actually entering the driving compartment through the central facia heater vents. Absolute mystery??
I'd like help as I can't help thinking the engine is basically sound, and I hate being foxed by a problem ie if it had blown head or cambelt gorn no prob scrap for it but this is something tiny I'd wager and a "mechanic" I reckon would suss it. I haven't a lot of faith in diagnostic monitor watchers.

Please help if you have 5 minutes, especially if you think I could find a part at a scrappy to try and solve it. I'm prepare to offer a weeks holiday with a pool in France for the bright spark who could sort this without me having to sell the kids.
Oh and just to up my stress levels - I bought a C5 last week!!!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/02/2009 at 19:13

1996 1.9 Black Smoke out of me Zantia - Peter.N.
I didn't think they had an ECU as early as '96, obviously I'm wrong. What I would be looking for is a restriction in the air intake somewhere. Try disconnecting the air hose from the inlet manifold and see if it runs OK. If it does, check all the hose frome the air filter to the manifold. I wouldn't have thought that the ECU could have such a dramatic effect, but I could be wrong.
1996 1.9 Black Smoke out of me Zantia - Peter.N.
Where are you located?