Prone to clutch problems? - Oakwood
Having bought a Pathfinder T-Spec manual new in 2005 I have experienced clutch problems: once under warranty and again at under 4 years old.

Dealers seem to be fully aware that there is a problem with these vehicles, and a Land Rover dealer recently said to me when riding in the Pathfinder ..."clutch and engine problems?"

Nissan seem in denial, yet everyone else is aware...what about other readers of this site?

Edited by Pugugly on 24/01/2009 at 20:54

Prone to clutch problems? - Pugugly
Friend has a Navara which he bought to replace a much loved Landie. Used it to tow - clutch went - expensive to replace and still not right. Got a price against a Defender - looking to change in March, kept it just over a year. Good Sat-Nav though.

Edited by Honestjohn on 02/02/2009 at 14:20

Prone to clutch problems? - Alby Back
Is he called Kurt ?....
Prone to clutch problems? - Pugugly
Proves a point, car companies should stick to simple names/numbers rather than made up names that I can't remember after a sherry or three.
Prone to clutch problems? - leeds
Exactly same as you!!
bought T spec new 2005. replacement clutch at 18 months under warrenty. clutch went Friday night for 2nd time!! not a happy bunny!!
40k miles on clock, I dont tow anything, closest thing to off rd is a farm track to see friend now and again. there is a definate fault here.
had toyotas befor this, one for 9 yrs and one for 4. never had any problems and certainly no replacement clutches!
Nissan need to get their finger out and accept liability here, the clutch, obviously, is not adequate for the size and weight of the vehicle.
Prone to clutch problems? - Chris White
My brother has a Pathfinder, only used around town, 2005 model just recently had it's second clutch, first one was under warranty (after much arguing with Nissan) and the second one out of his own pocket.

He'd like to trade it in, but the value of it has plummeted compared to what he'd like to buy.

Chris.
Prone to clutch problems? - dave 779
I know this a bit late, but I have a 2007 Pathfinder, I have shipped over to Belize where I live and I am having the same problem, 3 clutches in 8 weeks. What was the final verdict, the NISSAN dealer here tells me that I dont know how to drive???????

I have showed him the links on this matter and was stunned

David
Prone to clutch problems? - carmed

Hi Guys. I had the same problem. I heard and read on the nett about this guy in pretoria an ex Nissan Mechanic. What a great guy. He is honest and reliable. The best part is he is reasonable with his pricing. He is charging R6300 for the clutch and guarantee the flywheel wouldn't give me problems again. That means i save R14000 I would like to reckomend him with everyone that experience the same problem. His name is Jaques 0714502000. Finally at least someone is looking out for our poor blokes.

Prone to clutch problems? - Kathy-

I purchesed my (2007) Pathfinder in August 2010, lovely motor accept 8 months later it required a new clutch at 42k miles on the clock. Clutch has gone again at 47k miles. Ive been driving 30 years and never ride clutch before and have done no towing. There is a serious clutch problem with these Nissan Pathfinders and something should be done about it. Kathy

Prone to clutch problems? - soconfused

I wish i hadnt googled, Ive just been told my clutch needs replacing on my 06 Pathfinder!

Prone to clutch problems? - Ethan Edwards

Yes but the original poster was in 2009 his clutch departed this mortal coil some three years ago. Yours seems to have lasted six years. Which might be pretty good.

Can't wait for the next thrilling instalment of

'the year 2002 - threads wot I lurvved way back then'.

Prone to clutch problems? - kevinthegerbil

Havn't had to replace mine (2005 and 6500m). Problem I have is mystifying. Clutch pedal is halfway down first thing in the morning and I have to pull it up with my foot. After driving for a while, some times it returns fully and sometimes I have to pull it up. No evidence of clutch slipping though. Guy who services car tried bleeding the system, with me operating the pedal. On being asked to depress the pedal, I found that it shot to the floor unaided, as soon as I touched it. Almost as if the servo was working, even though the engine was not running. The pedal would not return and it took considerable pressure to lift it back up with my foot. Any bright ideas out there. Help! I'm an OAP and don't really want to go to a main dealer and have to pay their prices while they scratch their heads for a week, pondering the problem.

Prone to clutch problems? - iggie

Thread revival of the century :)

I own a 2007 Pathfinder Aventura (manual) and it had the DMF and clutch assembly replaced under warranty (without argument!) at 3 years old - Mar 2010 - when it had done 29k miles.

At this years' MOT I mentioned that the clutch bite point seemed a little high and asked for it to be adjusted. The comment back from the dealer was that there is no adjustment and they think the DMF is failing, again ... at a little under 48k miles!!

Nissan, unsurprisingly, is being less than helpful.

The vehicle does not tow, I do not ride or slip the clutch (I know how to drive!) and it rarely goes off road - the last few years snowy roads is about as extreme as it gets.

This seems to be a known problem and Nissan seem to be willing to do nothing about it.

Is anyone else having similar issues or have you all sold up and moved on?

Edited by iggie on 20/04/2012 at 16:23

Prone to clutch problems? - primeradriver

At the end of the day, this is what happens when you move away from honest engineering and try to turn a diesel drivetrain into something it isn't.

Nissan are far from being alone in all of this. Big diesel engines, refinement and reliability -- you can only have two of the three at the same time. Live with it.

Thanks for that really helpful response primeradriver ;)

The information "big diesel engines, refinement and reliability -- you can only have two of the three at the same time" is not exactly something that Nissn includes in the brochure or sales pitch when they're selling the car! I didn't exactly think 2.5ltr was big either.

I assume you're not facing a bill of well over a grand for a known problem with a bad part??

Prone to clutch problems? - Avant

You probably won't find this helpful either, Iggie, but in your position I'd flog the car while it's still working.

I'm beginning to think the same thing myself! I'd like to keep the car a while longer though so I'd like to at least have a crack at getting Nissan to fix it, after all it's their part that doesn't appear to be fit for purpose and I was under the impression there are rules about that. I'll post if I get any where with them.

Prone to clutch problems? - Roge

A while ago I know but what was the outcome to this issue? My 2005 Pathfinder with 125000 miles on the clock (and on the original clutch) has begun to suffer with the same depressed pedal after its been parked overnight, though it does recover when lifted and during normal running.....any advice would be appreciated!

Prone to clutch problems? - mainze

My 2005 Pathfinder clutch and fly wheel just gone after a long journey, revs kept dipping at 3-4000. Its got 63k on the clock.....1k to fix b***** : (

Prone to clutch problems? - Collos25

Easy job to do it youself for a fraction of the 1k.

Ok, here's an update for anyone who is still interested in this subject ... and it's quite a good one :) I hope this helps someone else in the same miserable situation I was in!

I sought advice from Trading Standards and I've been persistent in dealing with both Nissan UK and the garage who warranty repaired my car and I now have a satisfactory resolution. My car is booked in next week to be fixed with a cost to me of £257.

After some fairly unreasonable discussions I finally needed to quote the "Supply of Goods and Services Act" to them and point out their responsibilities for parts supplied to last as long as reasonably expected when used in a normal fashion ... in my case a clutch under normal use failing after 18K miles is considered a seriously premature failure. The act requires the claimant to pay a percentage of costs based on usage had out of the failing parts, hence the £257 cost to myself for the work – this is a serious reduction on the original quote from Nissan of £2500 for parts and labour!

I ended up having to include Nissan UK after sales and quality directors in emails regarding my complaint to get some focussed attention on my problem and the issue had to be taken to the big boss of the warranty repair dealership in order to finally get a satisfactory resolution but this is proof that being polite, unemotional, factual, objective and most of all preserving with repeating all of the above can pay off. One word of warning, Nissan did initially try the old “but you didn’t have your last service with us” trick, but in my case that was not relevant; depending on what you go after them for this may be a valid get out for them.

I have been informed by the dealership that early Pathfinders and Navaras were prone to clutch issues and the part has been redesigned to address the problems, so they are planning to replace my failing clutch with this new design which should resolve the issue once and for all ... i.e. I shouldn't be back having this argument again with Nissan in another 18-24 months! I guess only time/mileage will tell on that one.

I’d certainly suggest that anyone who is experiencing premature clutch failure (by miles covered whatever the age of the vehicle) on their Pathfinder or Navara gets in touch with Nissan and starts to kick up a fuss. I’ll guarantee it’ll be a tedious hard slog but in the end it could save thousands if you’re not technically minded enough to start changing a clutch yourself :)
Prone to clutch problems? - oldroverboy
Forgive me for saying this but£2500 for a clutch? I am never ever going to buy anthing that can require that much money spent on a clutch.
That's the full retail price of parts and labour (including a new fly wheel) from a Nissan dealer. You can get it all done by a private garage for about £1,000 - I asked at our local garage just in case. But I don't see why I should have to stump up a grand to fix something that's a blatant flaw in the design of the Pathfinder - hence pursuing Nissan so persistently for the last 4 months!
Here's my (hopefully) final update on this matter. My car went into Nissan on Mon & they replaced the flywheel, clutch and airbox - that was broken during the original repair in 2010 and has been rattling ever since.

The new service manager told me that when they got in there they found that the clutch thrust bearing was virtually non-existent and probably hadn't been changed during the last repair ... he rather avoided my question about whether it *should* have been replaced during the last repair, so I suspect it should have been.

Anyway, cost to me, the quoted £257. My car now seems fixed. The clutch bite point is much better, there's no judder whatsoever on the clutch peddal and the dreadful rattle from the airbox has completely gone.
Prone to clutch problems? - SteveLee

So there have been loads more issues and Nissan have heavily modified the clutch (going for a solid flywheel etc.) when's a certain site owner going to put his hands up and say "sorry, I was wrong" for blaming the drivers?