2001 1.6 Intermittent starting delay - banditbabe
Hi everyone,

I have just purhcased a used 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 zetec (38k miles) and it is covered by a comprehensive warranty but it is a distance away and I want to see if I can sort the problem out myself without having to go back to the place I bought it from and hope that someone might have a suggestion as to what the problem is.

About 70% of the time it takes a while for my engine to fire up from turning the ignition key. Sometimes, it fires up instantly as soon as I turn the key, other times it takes up to 8 seconds of the ignition turning over before the engine fires up. It doesnt seem to matter if it is hot or cold; sometimes this happens when the engine is already warm and sometimes it will start instantly in very cold weather. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? Gates of Ford reckoned that it is most likely to be the ECU needing a calibration but then again they might just be trying to get £80 out of me for doing practically nothing (a computer reset) which might not solve the problem.

Thank you for your time.

2001 1.6 Intermittent starting delay - jc2
That calibration SHOULD start after two revolutionsof the engine; the first revolution triggers the ECU and fuel pump by the crankshaft sensor sending a signal-on the first or second revolution,depending where the engine stopped,the camshaft sensor will send a signal to the ECU.These two signals will open the injectors and send a signal to the coils to start the engine.
2001 1.6 Intermittent starting delay - banditbabe
so do you think that the ECU needs calibrating then and that Ford are correct? It usually takes between 4-7 revolutions before the engine fires up but sometimes only 1-2.

Edited by banditbabe on 21/01/2009 at 11:50