FIAT & Chrysler - JH
'scuse me if it's already been commented on but WHY would FIAT, or any company, want to link up with Chrysler? It must be 30 years since Chrysler was first bailed out by the US government, ten years or so of Daimler ownership ended in Daimler beig glad to get out at a much lower price than they paid and Daimler are still " interested in selling their remaining 20% stake". I'm sure they are but who's daft enough to buy? Isn't it like forming a partnership with the Titanic's anchor about 20 minutes after the iceberg hits?
JH
FIAT & Chrysler - TheOilBurner
The hint dropped on some news sites is that FIAT is after Chryslers knowledge of alternative fuel systems. In that case, paying out for 35% of Chryslers very cheap shares might be a canny investment for FIAT.

Get the technology and then get out of there ASAP!! The shares may even be worth something when they're sold...
FIAT & Chrysler - JH
Ah. the BMW / Rover model. Get the fwd and 4wd technology and then drop it?
JH
That's exactly what I was thinking! :)
FIAT & Chrysler - Altea Ego
Ah. the BMW / Rover model. Get the fwd and 4wd technology and then drop
it?

It wasnt worth having
Last year BMW sold 232,000 MINIs, surely the profits from the MINI alone has made the whole venture worthwhile? Not to mention giving them a key place in the FWD market without diluting their core brand. Pretty handy really.
FIAT & Chrysler - JH
and it couldn't be called MINI unless they owned the brand name.

JH
FIAT & Chrysler - madf
Despite the shambles, Chrysler still sell 2 million cars a year.
So if they go bust, Fiat has a chance to buy it out of Chapter 11 and run it with 50% fewer staff and factories and make a profit..

As they are paying for their stake by access to Fiat technology, seems like a no risk punt.

Edited by madf on 20/01/2009 at 15:12

FIAT & Chrysler - Vansboy
It'l seem a bit strange, seeing the product placed Panda, as the vehicle which ran over/crashed into/hid the drugs, in next seasons CSI Las Vegas!!

VB
FIAT & Chrysler - doctorchris
My reading of this is that Fiat are not paying for a stake in Chrysler but will get a Chrysler plant in the USA out of the deal.
This will enable Fiat to produce their marketable small cars in the USA where they currently have next to no market at all.
FIAT & Chrysler - ole cruiser
This will enable Fiat to produce their marketable small cars in the USA where they

currently have next to no market at all.>>
I wish Fiat luck, as their cars look so nice on European roads, but I fear they are being a bit optimistic. Remember the Jaguar X-type counts as a "compact" in the US, and is slagged off in reviews for not being big enough even for nipping down to the shops. I came back from one trip to Florida thinking the Chrysler 300 looked a handy thing (then had one as a taxi here in the UK and it couldn't get through a vacant traffic lane).
FIAT & Chrysler - malden blue
How weird is that I have had two Fiats and two Chryslers!
FIAT & Chrysler - mss1tw
I may know someone who can help you. Do you have any pre-existing heart conditions or any previous ECT experience?

:-P
FIAT & Chrysler - malden blue
Oh mockers of Fiats and Chryslers mock ye may but !! :-)

I did 90,000 in a little panda without it missing a beat in my yoof!

Same with the wife's Punto, which while doing less mielage didnt have a single mechanical fault in 5 years (apart from the exhaust that fell of 4 times but was fixed by kwikfit each time in warranty)

Edited by malden blue on 20/01/2009 at 21:49

FIAT & Chrysler - Sofa Spud
Fiat and Chrysler both have ranges that are aesthetically challenged. I can only think of the Fiat Punto and Chrysler Crossfire that look attractive to my eyes. Oh, and I suppose the Viper and some Alfa Romeos look OK too.
FIAT & Chrysler - Pugugly
@olecruiser

May well be - when I was in New England last Summer every other sub compact seemed to be a MINI !

Edited by Pugugly on 20/01/2009 at 22:32

FIAT & Chrysler - doctorchris
If the Yanks wil buy the new Mini then they certainly would be tempted by the New 500, as long as Fiat can market it suitably.
FIAT & Chrysler - spannerboy
I currently own a Fiat Multipla (62K currently) and a Chrysler Voyager (89K currently). In my opinion this is a marriage made in heaven as both companies seem to have appalling build quality. I have been working on cars for the best part of 25 years and have never come across cars where manual transmissions break down with such frequency or that suffer from such terrible electrical gremlins until I bought these. When I encountered my particular issues I thought, hey that's bad luck, but then I started searching on the internet and hey presto found I was not alone. No not indeed by any small margin was I alone. Prior to purchasing these two demon possessed metallic objects I had only ever had Japanese cars, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda. To give you a comparative idea

1997 Nissan Primera GX - 230K miles and not a single issue (timing chain was starting to tick a bit)
1994 Mazda 323 - 198K miles and no issues whatsoever
1993 Toyota Previa - 210K miles only issue was head gasket at 178K

and this is just a small sampling of the cars I have owned. Never ever ever have I had transmissions fail until I met Chrysler and Fiat.

Now I know certain French and German cars also fall foul on the electrical side but for these two to consider a get together it must be fate. Just imagine how bad they can be when they put their minds together.