Insight review - tawse
I look forward to HJ's review of the new Honda Insight. Just Googling for the new Prius now on Google News I came across a review on USA Today of the new Honda Insight which was most interesting.

I will be interested to see what HJ's thoughts are compared to the USA Today reviewer. I note that it apparently is 'roof touching' for 6 footers so no good it seems for 6 foot plusers plus apparnetly it only does about 40 mpg - which is not impressive? Or am I missing something?

Insight review - boxsterboy
It only does about 40 mpg -
which is not impressive? Or am I missing something?

US gallons are smaller than ours.
Insight review - tawse
I like your video reviews HJ - enjoyed the "Can this car fit a small child in the boot?" Honda review from Thailand.

May I suggest that you take a small child to all future reviews so that we can get a comparission, although it might proove difficult when the child turns 18.

Joking aside, the practical things such as how high the roof is, whether you can get things in and out of the boot easily, do you need tiny feet to use the pedals, etc, is what, IMPO, what a good car review is about just as much as how well a car handles or how many miles it does per gallon.

There is another site which has video reviews for virtually every car on the market but they basically say the same thing about every car which is just pointless.
Insight review - carl_a
I think that Honda has tried to produce this car as a marketing tool just as the Prius is for Toyota. The MPG Toyota has a new Prius coming out soon which will be far superior to the Honda.... well when looking at tree hugger factors. Actually the current Prius does better MPG than the Insight and will be reduced in cost to battle for the market.
Insight review - ukjazz
HJ when you test the insight can you cover the size of the boot - standard and if the seats fold are they flat?
I am in the market for a new vehicle and the insight might just fit the bill if it has a normal boot - the civic hybrid boot is no use to anyone.
Looking forward to another of your candid car test videos
Insight review - daveyjp
I'm also intersted to know how large the car is. One review said the back seats were only suitable for a couple of adults on a short trip.

If it's as big as my Sportback I may be interested, but it also needs to have enough oomph to allow decent acceleration when fully loaded.
Insight review - rtj70
Total bhp for the Insight is only 98bhp although it does have good torque from low revs.

A review I have read said when they drove it normally they got low 40s mpg. When driven like it's meant to be (changing gear at the right time but also coasting down hill) they got over 60mpg. Now if we all coasted down hill we probably would get better mpg. Is it a bit of a con?

Insight review - Sulphur Man
I owned a Honda Insight from 2003-2005 and loved the thing. That car was a spirited 2-door coupe with nimbly handling, bags of character and jaw-dropping mpg performance. My best was an average 83.2mpg on a run from London to Norfolk. It was a fantastic car - only sold because I needed something more practical. I miss it and wish I'd kept it.

This new 'Insight' looks like a dated, plodding hatchback and represents a cynical attempt by Honda to cash in on the Prius' success. I'm very miffed they've called it Insight II, as it seems to have none of the wow-factor or soul of the original.

Insight review - colinh
HJ

Can you define these terms, please?

3 year/90,000 mile mechanical warranty .

8 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/01/2009 at 09:28

Insight review - tawse
Shame it is not going to be in the UK until the end of April.

I think you have got your millimetres mixed up with centimetres HJ. I hope your golf clubs are not 140 mm wide :-)

Interesting review though. I enjoyed it. Such a pity that it looks Civic/Prius sized though as I canna get into either. Saving the planet is obviously not meant to be for tall sods!

I look forward to the video.
Insight review - tawse
I feel very let down HJ. I was looking forward to the hat test, especially as the rear of the Insight appears to slope so much.

Joking aside, it is this kind of detail that IMPO makes the difference between a good review and all the others. I like Clarkson ranting on about what he likes in cars but at the end of the day I don't think I have ever learnt much practical info from him - I am always amazed how he squeezes himself into cars he is reviewing, obviously looks crammed in and yet makes no comment about having his legs up above his head.

It is still January but they are already getting reviewers to the Insight even though it won't be on sale until April 22nd - Green Planet Day I think. I thought that car companies only released new cars to reviewers about a month before them going on sale? Is there any chance of Honda bringing sales forward?

Edited by tawse on 21/01/2009 at 13:36

Insight review - T Lucas
Had an original Insight and liked the way it did the job.If the new model is available with an auto box i think at the right money wifey could be tempted.
Insight review - KMO
The new one is auto (CVT) only. Unlike the Insight I, which was manual only in the UK.

Interestingly, while doing some used car searching, I turned up a Japanese importer who had a couple of CVT-equipped original Insights. I'm quite tempted - the lack of auto was the only thing that had ruled it out for me previously.
Insight review - nortones2
Re the CVT of the Insight. Is it described in detail anywhere? I've looked at the info I can find, which is not clear. I'd like to know if its actually a CVT, or on the lines of the Prius. Although described as CVT, the current Prius has a sun and planets device, which seems potentially far more durable. No metal bands to fray at the edges:) Detailed description of the Prius method: tinyurl.com/9km5y
Insight review - KMO
The CVT on the Honda hybrids is conventional one. The Honda IMA system's transmission is largely conventional, with the motor-generator added alongside the flywheel. That's why they can offer both manual and automatic options, unlike Toyota's inherently automatic system.
Insight review - nortones2
Thanks also, KMO.
Insight review - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, very slick looking video -looked almost corporate (..and no disrespect meant by that!)

You make mention of the ride quality as being okay-ish & obliquely recommend the entry model as probably being better due to higher profile tyres - do you think on British tarmacadam (rather than the lush looking Spanish(?) sort..) it would be acceptable?

I liked the Prius 11 - but was put-off by the hard ride (poor bump absorption) & would probably like the Insight too - makes good 1st year write-down & BIK sense for my small company. It's shame the higher specs are always dressed with lower profile tyres (- why do they do that?) as the cruise control & other pleasantries come as standard on them.

cheers.
Insight review - kithmo
You won't get much shopping in the 140 millimetre by 170 millimetre boot though ;0)
Insight review - ForumNeedsModerating
>>Not too slick and corporate. They allowed the criticism.

My comment meant in the sense of well composed & filmed - not compliant or sycophantic. It even managed to get the wheels going 'backwards' look whilst driving along the promenade (the de rigeur classy effect for anything from Focus upwards).

Insight review - daveyjp
Just had a run out to the local Honda dealer for a nosey at the Insight after receiving an e-mail that it was in showroom from yesterday. Good job they had one out front as believe it or not the showroom is closed on a Sunday.

My only comment from a peer through the windows is the interior doesn't reflect a price tag of over £17,000.
Insight review - daveyjp
Now had a decent test drive. If you need a family sized car which sips fuel and has £15 road tax it's probably for you, if you still like to have some enjoyment from driving it's probably not.

Over about 15 miles of urban and some NSL roads I managed mid 50s mpg and this without trying to keep the spedo backlight green. I'd want the option of being able to turn all the driver info off though as it's a gimmick, which you don't monitor while driving.

I tried the next to top spec which has lots of goodies, but 16 inch wheels provide a very skittish ride. On a rural NSL it didn't feel very well planted once above 45mph.

No spare as standard and whilst the boot is quite deep front to back it is shallow due to the battery pack. There is a small underfloor storage area, but I suspect the optional spare wll eat this up.

Rear visibilty through the split screen is dire and the thick rear quarters will make reversing difficult. The engine cuts out at lights, but only when you have your foot on the footbrake. "Handbrake on and neutral"technique results in the engine firing up, but extra fuel usage due to this will be minimal.

Looking at the info I now realise the car was in 'Econ' mode for all our trip so it's difficult to comment on performance as this mode cuts engine output to preserve fuel. It did seem noisy under heavy acceleration - probably another gimmick to stop you doing it and 89 bhp will never see rubber burning getaways from the lights anyway.

The green credentials will see some convinced, but not many will be those who enjoy driving.