Computer Related Questions - Volume 175 [ReadOnly] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 176 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 175. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2009 at 19:01

Replacement Toners - OrtonMark
I want to replace my toner for a Samsung ML2010 laser printer. The printer only cost £50 for Amazon but the OEM toners cost more than this. So I have looked at the what seems like hundreds of retailers offering replacement or re-manufactured toners for about £30 plus P&P.

Does anybody have a particular favourite retailer they use who are reliable and cost effective?
Replacement Toners - rtj70
A lot of companies making printers make their profits from replacement ink/toner. It's the same business model as razor blades. And it works.

I'd pick a known name and risk it considering the price of the printer.
Replacement Toners - Falkirk Bairn
Printer costs more to make than you pay.

The profit margin is on the toner / ink.

Often the printer has a small capacity cartridge inc in price - follow on replacement toner is bigger capacity and costs a lot more.

In a similar vein to the Polaroid Camera of yesteryear - £10 for camera but £1.00 per photo was the rough cost of the film.
Replacement Toners - Hugh Watt
I'd recommend this site - www.refilltoner.com/ - they explain the several different methods of refilling cartridges & offer refill kits for specific models. Samsungs are usually easy to fill.
Windows XP - start up programs - Happy Blue!
In Win95 I used to be able to find the section where you could tell the computer to open up certain applications on start up. I can't find that on XP - anyone any ideas?

Secondly, an XP Pro computer in our office is constantly churning the hard drive and running very slowly. No significant changes to hardware of software recently - again any ideas? It used to be very fast.

Thanks
Windows XP - start up programs - smokie
Q1. Start - run - msconfig

Q2. Try Safe Mode to ensure it's OK when nothing much is loaded. Use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Delete) to see if any one task is gobbing processor, or if short of memory. Try Safe Mode to ensure it's OK when nothing much is loaded. Use MSCONFIG (see above) to selectively omit programs on boot up to see if they are causing the issue

Edited by smokie on 15/01/2009 at 13:48

Windows XP - start up programs - SpamCan61 {P}
Q1. Start - run - msconfig

That's the quickest way I know of for removing programmes from startup; but in terms of adding them, isn't it just as quick to drag a shortcut into the Windows 'startup' folder?
Windows XP - start up programs - Victorbox
Start > All Programs > then right mouse click on Startup folder > select Properties from list and it will give you path to that folder for your current profile under Location. You can then find it in My Computer.
Windows XP - start up programs - Stuartli
If your XP Pro system has/can have S.M.A.R.T enabled in the Bios, try downloading DriveSmart (freeware) from CompuApps:

www.compuapps.com/Download/download.htm (scroll down to find the download)

It will/could indicate any problems with your hard drive. There's a series of codes available to help pinpoint any trouble spots.

I use DriveSmart on my system.

Hard drive manufacturers also usually provide diagnostic software for their products, such as SeaTools from Seagate:

www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

or Western Digital:

support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

Edited by Stuartli on 15/01/2009 at 14:08

Windows XP - start up programs - smokie
Apols - wrong conclusion jumped to...
Windows XP - start up programs - Victorbox
Secondly an XP Pro computer in our office is constantly churning the hard drive and
running very slowly. No significant changes to hardware of software recently - again any ideas?

Short of someone having pinched some RAM out of it and assuming it has at least 512MB memory and swap file settings have not been changed, try running a spyware/malware scan.
Windows XP - start up programs - jbif
... XP Pro computer in our office is constantly churning the hard drive and running very slowly. No significant changes to hardware of software recently - again any ideas? .. >>

In addition to others already suggested;
one idea: Make sure it is not running a botnet:
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/15/conficker_worm/
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/14/botnets_of_2009/

2nd idea: defragment the disk, eg. Defraggler
www.piriform.com/products

Windows XP - start up programs - billy25
Alternately, you can choose which programs start or dont, in Spybot/sd (advanced mode) tools-->system startup. Clicking on an entry tells you what it is, what it is used for, and whether it is required or not. Any thing you dont want to run, simply uncheck the box! if you know you really dont want them you can delete them! otherwise just turn them off and on as you wish.

Billy
Windows XP - start up programs - SpamCan61 {P}
...maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the OP wanted to add programmes to Windows startup - not remove them. Surely these programmes won't be visible by either Msconfig or Spybot routes, because they are not currently part of Windows startup.
Windows XP - start up programs - Stuartli
Most/many programs add a Startup entry on installation - more often than not, if I haven't blocked it during installation, I have to Disable it from msconfig>Startup tab.

The means to Enable individual programs again remains in msconfig>Startup, but Enabling/Disabling doesn't take effect until after a Reboot.
Windows XP - start up programs - jbif
.>> ..maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the OP wanted to add programmes ... >>
Spamcan
That is how I read it too, and your first reply to the question was on the money, IMO.

Edited by jbif on 15/01/2009 at 16:18

Windows XP - start up programs - buzbee
For quickly looking at what is set to run at start-up and being able to alter things, I find a tiny little program, called startup.exe, very useful

www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It is free -- but he welcomes a contribution if you find it useful. You can have an icon for it on the desktop.

You can find the location of any of your programs by right-clicking them on the program display.

I don't think it can be used to create a new start-up though.
Windows XP - start up programs - Happy Blue!
Thanks for all your help. Has diabled much of the software and it is a little quicker. However as it is everal years old we are going to replace it next week.
Copying email addresses - drbe
I have been 'copied' in on an email with a large number of addressees on it.

I would like to copy most, if not all of these addresses to my contacts list. Is there a quick way of doing this, or do I have to enter them one at a time?
Copying email addresses - Stuartli
As with all Microsoft programs and applications Outlook Express, as you are probably aware, has a comprehensive and well written Help section.

Depending on whether you wish to add the names as a group or individually, such information can be found in Help under Adding Groups to the Address Book or Adding Contacts after keying in Adding into the Index tab's keywords field.
Copying email addresses - smokie
Bit of a dangerous assumption that he using Microsoft products isn't it? :-)
Bit of a dangerous assumption that he's using Microsoft products isn't it? :-)>>

Not actually dangerous as such, but I get your point...:-)

It's probably because I use OE - sub-concious posting.

I did switch to Thunderbird once, but it's rather more difficult to configure if, by any chance, it gets corrupted. But its Junk filter is very effective once "trained".
Copying email addresses - JH
Stuartli,
I suggest that you might want to try Windows Live Mail. It seems to be son of OE and has the advantage that it manages multiple email accounts from one point. I had to move from OE when I migrated to Vista (it works with XP too). Vista appears not to support OE and the in built Mail (on home edition!) doesn't work with Hotmail accounts (unless someone knows a clever trick).
JH
>>has the advantage that it manages multiple email accounts from one point. >>

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm quite happy with OE or its equivalent, which I've used for 80 per cent of the last 12 years or so.

I'm a bit puzzled as to your "advantage" mentioned above. Using OE I collect e-mails from several accounts and via different ISPs quite easily through my own ISP (TalkTalk); it just needs each account to be configured to do so.

The only thing I have to remember is that when Replying or Forwarding e-mails from an ISP other than my own, I have to change the From field to my current ISP using the drop-down menu in the Message panel.
Software for designing business cards - Xtype
Can anyone recommend any free software for designing business cards?
The cards may be sent off to a printer or i may print them at home on the colour laser.
Ive tried using MS Publisher and while they look ok they are not great.
Any advice greatly received.
Software for designing business cards - Stuartli
Avery, of label fame, offers free office type software:

www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software

Its basic business cards software:

tinyurl.com/8m7f6e

and tinyurl.com/67km4v
Blocked Files - bintang
I have a folder with 10 text files (8 .rtf and 2 .doc), all of which have suddenly become unopenable in readable form. The usual click or Open command gives rows of tiny blank squares. I have tried Wordpad, Notepad, Adobe Reader 9.0, MS Document Imaging and IE, all giving blank squares or error messages. Can anyone suggest a remedy please?
Blocked Files - smokie
Do you know what these documents were, and what you previously opened them with?

The Click or Open command will launch the application with which the file is associated; this is determined by the extension(.rtf etc). These associations are managed in Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) - come back for How To if needed.

Right clicking a file name will bring up a menu which usually has Open With, where you can select an application to open the file, and which is presumably how you've tried using those other applications.

Unless I'm mistaken, rtf and doc files are not openable by any of the products you've mentioned, other than possibly WordPad. Both should be openable by MS Word. And try Wordpad again, as I think that should work (unless the files are either corrupt, or have had their extensions renamed)

Blocked Files - rtj70
Wordpad should be able to open RTF (rich text format) files fine. It can also open doc files if they are Word for Windows doc files. But it will not open MS Word doc files from the last few versions.

Edit: Just fired up write and opened up a basic Word doc file saved from Word 2003. It opened fine. It obviously could not cope with diagrams, complex tables, etc.

It does sound like your files may be corrupted though.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/01/2009 at 13:02

Blocked Files - bintang
It looks as if you are right, but I can't imagine how the whole folder became corrupted. Norton can't find any virus etc. I know what the files are - short newsletter articles. They opened with Word before as do, still, many other files I have.
Blocked Files - jbif
... but I can't imagine how the whole folder became corrupted. ...>>

Did you not post the other week about other files on your PC that had been corrupted too?

Seems like you have something going wrong with your hard disk.

There are ways recover damaged files, but the cost can be prohibitive.
Google: recover corrupted damaged files

Blocked Files - bintang
Did you not post the other week about other files on your PC that had
been corrupted too?

Yes, photos and they can't be opened either. I hope I am not going to lose all my files. IT can't be trusted: it is easy to see hoiw a war could be started accidentally.
Blocked Files - Altea Ego
lose all my files. IT can't be trusted: it is easy to see hoiw a
war could be started accidentally.

They seemed to manage to start them ok for the hundreds of years before IT. In fact it can be argued that war gave birth to IT. In fact it can even be argued that IT ended one war and prevented another.
Blocked Files - rtj70
Do you have the ability to back up all your files to an external hard disk or CD/DVD? Or if you only have a few Gb anyway a big USB stick?

Then we can help you check the disk etc. But I'd try copying everything off first.
Blocked Files - Stuartli
Are they by any chance MS Publisher files?

These are not backward compatible for some reason only known to MS.

I had the same problem once when I was still using Publisher 98. In the end I sought help on an MS forum and one of the moderators offered to convert them for me using the latest version of Publisher.

Turned out this moderator was the assistant manager of the Waldorf Astoria and, on returning the now readable documents, added if I was ever near his hotel to pop in and introduce myself...:-)
Blocked Files - bintang
Do you have the ability to back up all your files to an external hard
disk or CD/DVD? Or if you only have a few Gb anyway a big USB
stick?

Yes, all of them backed up routinely to CD (less photos) and stick (including photos).
Blocked Files - billy25
if your documents contain data that you really don't want to lose, you can try a utility called Advanced Word Repair to repair your corrupt Word documents. Unfortunatly Its not free! so read through the FAQ section, then if you think its what you need, download the free trial version, which will tell you if your files can be recovered or not, before you pay for the repair version.

www.datanumen.com/awr/index.htm

hth
Billy
Blocked Files - jbif
Yes, all of them backed up routinely to CD (less photos) and stick (including photos).

So what is the problem? Or are you saying that your backed up files are corrupt too?

Blocked Files - billy25
just read on a "problem" forum, the quickest and most surefire way to corrupt word documents is to save them "Directly" to removable media (floppies, cards, sticks,cd's etc),
they should be initially saved to HDD then Copied to other media. I never knew this! and i've had the blank-square problem with backed up copies on floppies too! (that i thought were supposedly kept safe) Hmmm!
Blocked Files - bintang
The only files blocked are also blocked on the back up versions. I will try the program mentioned above but
Blocked Files - bintang
(continued) but, from what you say, it is a problem inherent in sticks etc. I have three of these, also CD, Zip and floppy drives. (I haven't yet tried DVD). I will try Advance Work repair.

According to a note in today's Telegraph, worms can be planted in sticks and there is a MS fix called MS08-067 on www.windowsupdate.com/ Maybe my problem started with a cheap 8GB one bought off eBay, by EX1GO Technologies, but everything is clean according to Norton (perhaps it doesn't do worms?).
Blocked Files - smokie
I read about this latest worm yesterday, and how it can be transported and introduced from removable media (sticks etc). I don't think you'll have caught it from your new purchase, but it's worth everyone checking that their virus scanner will find worms (some don't!) and that it is up to date. Also that you have teh latest MS patches. (Except of course the Linux or Apple users amongst us!!)
Blocked Files - billy25
but everything is clean according to Norton (perhaps it doesn't do worms?). <<

imo, Norton doesn't do much!

Billy
Computer Noisy on Start Up - drbe
When I turn my PC on, it makes a sort of grinding noise for a minute or two - presumably the hard disc drive?

Should I be worried? Should I take any action?
Computer Noisy on Start Up - rtj70
Yes you should be concerned and do something about it. Are you sure its the hard drive? If you are then get it backed up to something very quickly or you could lose all your files from it.

But it could be a fan or a lot of other things. You could trouble shoot by removing power connectors to all the drives for a start.
Computer Noisy on Start Up - Altea Ego
three things make noises on PCS

Fans, hard drives and Removeable media (floppies/cds/dvds)

It could be the hard drive, in which case worry. Its more likely to be the fan, in which case dont worry.

fault finding?

1/ unplug or block fan blades and turn on, if no noise you found your culprit The fan in the power supply cant be unplgged but block it with a cotton bud or something. you could have one fan on cpu (dont block that for too long your cpu will vapourise) and one on video card (ditto re vapourising)
to
2/ unplug power lead to removeable drive and check

3/ Unplug power lead to hard drive

If three causes the noise to go - Panic now, start backing up vital data.
Computer Noisy on Start Up - smokie
"Its more likely to be the fan, in which case dont worry."

However, if this is the case and it stops making the noise sometime in the future, worry! :-) Cos the fan will have given up...
Computer Noisy on Start Up - Mike H
It's not a Mesh by any chance is it - I've had two and both have had fan noise problems? I've tended to ignore it, but the newer one started making a different odd noise last night so I will have to investigate.
Thank you for those responses.

Mike H - yes it is a Mesh.

With regards to backup, can anyone point to "An Idiots guide to Backup" please?
Computer Noisy on Start Up - jbif
... With regards to backup, can anyone point to "An Idiots guide to Backup" please? .. >>

No doubt rtj70 will tell you off for not starting a separate Q.

backups for dummies
www.pcguide.com/care/bu/whatFull-c.html

backups wiki entry:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_backup

backups by a vendor:
www.acronis.com/resource/solutions/backup/2005/inc...l

backups for nerds:
www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Computer Noisy on Start Up - David Horn
If you can get into the computer's BIOS settings (push DEL when you turn it on, usually), then there might be an option to set a warning if a fan fails or the CPU overheats. It's not subtle - when it goes off you get a loud beeping sound from the PC.

If it's just a case fun, unplug it and don't worry. Can't think of a situation where one of our PCs has got that hot inside that it needed additional forced ventilation.
Computer Noisy on Start Up - rtj70
I would read up on the suggestions on backup above by jbif. Having backups is always a good idea.

Even if you work out it's a fan and not a hard drive I'd still look at doing backups.
I would read up on the suggestions on backup above by jbif. .. >>

But if you find that heavy going, just go and buy something like Seagate Freeagent or Maxtor Onetouch external drive storage, costs about £40 to £60* depending on where you buy it.
media.seagate.com/center/onetouch/
which will do it all for you with one touch of a button.

*£50 +p&p for 250GB here
www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=HES-250...0
[not necessarily a recommendation to buy from them].

"Computers come and go, but your content should always be nearby. With up to 750 glorious gigabytes, the FreeAgent external hard drive is the best place to gather and access all of your important photos, movies, music, games and documents. Simply plug in the power and the USB cable and you?re ready to go.

Designed to live peacefully in your home or office, the FreeAgent external hard drive is extra quiet and takes up less room on your desk than a stapler. Even the cable ports are base-mounted to help keep your desk free of clutter. We even add a little bit of sophistication to your desktop with the unique espresso brown finish and molten amber illumination. To eliminate the slightest bit of worry, we?ve even included technical support and a five-year limited warranty."

Edited by jbif on 20/01/2009 at 20:27

backups for dummies
www.pcguide.com/care/bu/whatFull-c.html

Not dummy enough for this dummy, I am afraid.

It seemed logical to me to make a full backup onto DVDs and the in future make backups of thise file that had changed since the last backup.

So, I put a DVD on the E:/ drive, started the "Backup and Recovery Wizaed" (or some such name) and immediately got the message:-
"The backup file name could not be used
E:/backup.bkf
Please ensure that it is a valid path and that you have sufficient access"

What am I doing wrong? Incidentally it seems to me as as the PC came with XP etc pre-installed and without installation discs, that I need to backup the operating system.

Computer Noisy on Start Up - Stuartli
>>It seemed logical to me to make a full backup onto DVDs and then in future make backups of those file that had changed since the last backup.>>

Hard work and will need a lot of disks, depending on how much data you have to backup; for safety you would also need at least a copy of each DVD backup.

The external drives mentioned earlier will do exactly as you require and carry out incremental backups as frequently as you wish.

I have a Seagate One Touch 400GB external hard drive and backups are just a press of a button - if U wished to restore any or all of the files it's equally simple to undertake.

The external drive itself cost £53 about a year ago; these days they are/can be even cheaper and have much higher capacities.

Backing up the operating system as well can be achieved by cloning the hard drive on to the external drive separately.
Some information on using external hard drives for backups:

www.andybrain.com/archive/external-usb-drive-syste...m

www.bobatkins.com/photography/computers/storage.ht...l
Computer Noisy on Start Up - SpamCan61 {P}
The external drive itself cost £53 about a year ago; these days they are/can be
even cheaper and have much higher capacities.

Iomega 500GB for 50 quid at Comet 'collect in store' :-

www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/371335/IOMEGA-50...E
Backing up the operating system as well can be achieved by cloning the hard drive
on to the external drive separately.

Agreed, if the HDD is on the way out I'd clone it, saves mesing around with install disks. I did this at xmas on my laptop using acronis trueimage, the 15 day free trial was more than enough to clone the 1 drive; took about half an hour to clone 25 GB.

www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 21/01/2009 at 09:58

Perhaps even more remarkable value for an external hard drive(!):

tinyurl.com/9zwso9

Over the years I'd always paid around £65 for an internal hard drive ranging, in order, from 1.7, 6.4, 20 and then 60GB capacity.

My latest internal HDD, acquired about a year ago, is 320GB and cost £47 - today such capacity drives are around £10-15 cheaper.
Computer Noisy on Start Up - SpamCan61 {P}
I think Tesco have a 1TB drive in store for 70 quid come to think of it.
Well spotted..:-)

direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6510.aspx
. seems to me as as the PC came with XP etc pre-installed .. >>

Go to Mesh support forum and they will send you a Disk or tell you how to make one.
.. Not dummy enough for this dummy, I am afraid. >>

You did not tell us you were asking about the XP built in backup routine.
www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_backup.htm
.. "Backup and Recovery Wizaed" (or some such name) and immediately got the message:- "The backup file name could not be used E:/backup.bkf ...>>

See
www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=backup+file+name+c...=

I have now purchased and installed a Seagate FreeAgent 750gb external hard drive, £78 from Tesco. Up and running and first backup done.

Everything seems to be ok, thank you all for your advice and comments.

Now - can I, should I, back up the operating system? Because I can't see how to do that.
Computer Noisy on Start Up - smokie
Spamcan and others mention cloning your disk further up this thread. Cloning will create an image of the entire hard drive. Acronis is suggested as a tool for doing that (Spamcan gives the link and says that there is a free 15 day trial version - presumably the fact that the 15 days has run out if you ever need to restore the disk will not matter)

Anyway, this is essentially a once-off operation - you cannot "maintain" a disk image by adding files later. So you would carry out this imaging process (probably to DVD), then regularly backup My Documents etc to your new disk. In the event of a catastrophic problem requiring recovery, you would restore the Acronis image, which would put the computer back to the point of when you took the image, then restore you backup to recover your latest Document library etc.

If you have a large My Documents (e.g. lots of photos) you could speed up the imaging process (and use less DVDs) by backing up Documents etc first, checking that the backup is complete and can be read, then delete the backed up libraries from your C Drive prior to taking the image, restoring them afterwards. But do be sure that your backup is good before doing this...
An update on my post above.

When I turned my PC on today, there was no grinding noise, but the system locked up before ir had opened properly.

The usual half a dozen lines that start off something like American Megatrends was replaced by a page full of text, no warning messages, so far as I could see. The only way to get out of it was to turn off the power. While the power was off, I removed the USB lead from the external hard drive and then switched on again.

The PC worked normally this time. Any ideas what might be causing the lock-up?
Computer Noisy on Start Up - Altea Ego
You need to check the fan and heatsink on your CPU (blocked or stopped) and the fan on the graphics card if you have one.

If you dont know what a cpu fan looks like or where it is, let us know.
>>...but the system locked up before it had opened properly.>>

It could be that your computer was trying to bootup from the external hard drive and removing the USB lead allowed it to bootup as normal.

I would only turn the external hard drive when needed and afterwards use the Safely Remove Hardware icon to close it down.

American Megatrends Inc (AMI) produces the Bios software for your system's motherboard.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/01/2009 at 14:42

What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - Dulwich Estate
A younger member of the tribe had a problem with her laptop mains power which kept cutting out. This was diagnosed as a dodgy / broken connection in the power lead rather than in the computer power socket. Ultimately the two and a half year old battery ran out of power and no amount of recharging with a known good charger helped. I tried the deep freeze trick (14hours @ -18C + 3 hour warm up next to CH boiler), as mentioned all over the web, and it worked !

Does anybody know if this is a long term cure or has the battery had it and will it die in a short while.
What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - Altea Ego
The battery has a finite life of charge/recharge cycles. Typically the lower end of this is about 1000 cycles

At 2.5 years its probably near the end of its life anyway. How long does it take to charge and how long will the laptop run on battery power.
What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - rtj70
My last work laptop before this one ended up with the laptop battery running flat in 30 minutes but claiming to be fully recharged really quickly. But it usually run on power and I suspect this limited the life of a battery.
What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - Dulwich Estate
Altea, you asked...How long does it take to charge and how long will the laptop run on battery power.

Well I only did it yesterday and don't know.

It's not my machine (phew!), it's pretty badly treated and I guess normally being "on mains" has brought about this problem earlier than expected. Aren't batteries supposed to discharge and charge to get a longer life.

I just wanted to know so that I could prepare myself for the inevitable call asking me to fix it......again.
What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - rtj70
"Aren't batteries supposed to discharge and charge to get a longer life"

If a laptop discharged fully and then recharged you would have a lot of unhappy laptop owners with flat batteries. They recharge and then keep topped up all the time. When on power they will not use the battery.

The answer is to use on battery charge a lot... and there's be thinking a full charge on a Lithium Ion battery is worse than a top up.... my phone and iPod have Li-Ion batteries. But that is a separate thread.
What life left after deep frozen laptop battery - David Horn
Think of it in turns of cycles, of which the battery has a finite number. Going from 10% -> 100% is one cycle, but so is 70% -> 100%. Unfortunately, keeping the battery unused on full charge doesn't really do it much good either. Accept that it'll last a couple of years and be prepared to stump up for a replacement then.
Mac- Transferring apps from admin to user account - Nsar
Hi,
I have an imac running Leopard which is my son's machine.

All his music and Office are sitting on the admin account, not him and I want to transfer it all to his account, but cannot find any clues in the help menu. Can you help me please?

Also when logged on as him, I can't access the internet, even though I can when logged in as administrator - any clues?

I have tried installing Office when logged on as him but it won't recognise the admin log in details required during the install. My log in details are first name and last name but once I have entered my first name it won't allow me to enter any more characters. I've tried entering "admin" and "administrator" at this point but no dice.

Thanks in advance
Mac- Transferring apps from admin to user account - pleiades
Nsar this is from the apple site

support.apple.com/kb/HT3309

Hope it at least points you in the right direction - when you say music do you mean itunes as for a non-techie like me this can get a bit complicated as I've found out when moving 19mb's worth onto a separate hd. Its eay to move the music but then itunes application doesn't know where to find it until you tell it but again this info easy to find either on the apple site or a google search.

Good luck!

Comodo - Not for me thanks. - Altea Ego
well

I evaluated comodo after favouralbe coments here. I showed patience while it learned. And like a real comodo dragon - it bit me.

Today I had a failed comodo update. Failed in the respect that it started and didnt complete. Even after one hour. It would not let me turn it off, It would not let me open programes, and - wait for it - would not let me turn off the pc. It seemed to have taken complete control of rights, only allowing limted function system rights and no user rights at all. (cant open any programes, change attributes, cant add remove programes, cant turn off system etc etc) This persisted over a forced power down and reboot (holding in power button) and spanned across all users on an xp install.

Booting into safe mode provided sufficient rights to remove the programe, and booting back into normal mode saw comodo gone and everything restored.

Goodbye comodo (for good) and hello Avast.
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - smokie
... and therein lies a problem.

AE will never ever try that product again, whoever recommends it, and however well it might fit a requirement. I doubt he'll recommend it to anyone either. I have similarly "blacklisted" products where my first experience was less than good. One those those is an industry standard virus checker. The version we used to use (on a floppy, on an MSDOS based PC!) was dire. So I've never used it again. And have recommended people to NOT use it, without giving reasons.

But quite clearly, many people run Comodo successfully and find it suits them. And will no doubt say "well it must be something you did wrong or something wrong with your PC, because it runs OK for me" or the rather lame "a bad workman always blames his tools", which appeared on this site recently.

Anyway, that's now (at least) two of us that have been open-minded and tried Comodo, and found, for different reasons, that it isn't for us. In my case, it simply needed too much nannying over a long time. I am happy with and understand the level of protection I already have, and the degree of risk I am exposed to.

Comodo - Not for me thanks. - jbif
... or the rather lame "a bad workman always blames his tools", which appeared on this site recently. ... >>

;-) Did that sting you? This is just the internet and merely words people are using here. You really need a tougher skin.

But it is really rather lame when you misquote someone. The true statement reads:
" .. re. Comodo being too intrusive - Bad workmen usually blame their tools when they don't know how/when to use the tool. .. "

I can add another lame reason for failure. It is lack of willpower to to tackle something and the wilingness to take the easy way out and give in. Just as some smokers lamely do.

Comodo. Free program, free society. If you don't like it, it can be lumped and dumped. No big deal.

Comodo - Not for me thanks. - Pugugly
on a floppy, on an MSDOS based PC

Wow I feel old now.
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - commerdriver
ah but was it a floppy floppy or one of these new fangled hard floppies? :-)
on a floppy on an MSDOS based PC
Wow I feel old now.

Me dives into my desk drawer and pulls out a 5.25 inch 160kb single sided "floppy" with a blue label saying

"IBM PC DOS V1"
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - Falkirk Bairn
V1 was never sold in the UK was Dos 1.1

1.1 inc the 256 character set inc the £ sign,
DOS 1 was 128 character only IIRC

Edited by Pugugly on 21/01/2009 at 18:28

well it was 1981. Did i say it was a uk machine?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/01/2009 at 19:37

I wouldnt call three weeks of investment in installing and teaching a programe, then dumping it when it caused a severe problem "taking the easy way out" or "lack of will power"

It was nothing moire than a report on a user experience. I gave it a fair crack and it it caused me an issue
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - maz64
I switched to Comodo from Avast/Defender a few weeks ago after seeing it mentioned in this forum. First problem came when I updated the Nvidia graphics card driver - after clicking OK at least 100 times in response to the popup warnings, with no discernible progress on the progress meter, I disabled Comodo.

Similarly a recent Windows update included the Malicious Software Removal Tool or whatever it's called, which I think checks loads of Windows systems files. Of course every file it checked resulted in a popup from Comodo, so again I ended up disabling Comodo.

Did I do the right thing? It doesn't feel right disabling it just to do normal(-ish) operations.

F
I switched to Comodo

...that's the free firewall + AV
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - Stuartli
>>.. after clicking OK at least 100 times in response to the popup warnings,>>

When Comodo (firewall I presume) issued a warning, did you choose Installer/Updater or Trusted Application>OK to stop the pop-ups?
sq

IIRC Insaller/Updater was displayed in one of the fields when I clicked ok. Can't say for sure if it was always there, but I think it was - don't remember seeing anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'd done something wrong, but I'd like to know what :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 21/01/2009 at 21:19

Once you have completed an installation or update, Comodo will display a panel asking if you wish to return to standard mode. This should be OK'd, although you can still surf etc if you wish if the panel is hidden behind a window.

Edited by Stuartli on 21/01/2009 at 21:26

Once you have completed an installation or update

But that appeared to be at least impractical. I'll try re-installing the graphics driver when I get chance (not on PC at the moment) and try to take more notice of the available options.
Comodo will display a panel asking if
you wish to return to standard mode.

So it had gone into a different mode?
>>So it had gone into a different mode?>>

Yes, if you choose Installer or Updater, which allows this to go ahead; selecting Trusted Application frees that application or program from Comodo queries.

The former's message panel asks if you wish to leave Installation mode and return to the basic (default) mode? Sensible, if you think about it...:-)

However, I don't have any experience of Comodo's AV as Avast! Home Edition has proved more than adequate in this area and was retained.
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - smokie
@ JBIF (somewhere way up this thread!) regarding the workman and tools point.

It didn't sting me then, and, having re-read it, it still hasn't.

It didn't register at the time that the comment about workmen and tools was aimed at me, and I didn't recall who made it. It just struck me as a pretty unnecessary and snide comment at the time. I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me that it came from you. And I wasn't trying to quote - it wasn't that important to me.

Your follow up comments on quitting smoking does feel like you are getting personal, given the recent discussion. Have I given you grounds for this? If so, please mail me rather than continuing in this thread. smokie_moderator at honestjohn.co.uk

Edited by smokie on 22/01/2009 at 07:43

Are you talking about Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware)?

Avast! is an anti-virus program.

I've been using Comodo Firewall Pro for some weeks now and it's never bitten me, nor failed to update in the manner it should....:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 21/01/2009 at 18:36

Are you talking about Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware)?

No - Comodo internet Security (freeware)
Avast! is an anti-virus program.

I know

>>I know>>

But you didn't make it clear whether it was the Comodo firewall or AV you had rejected.
>>I know>>
But you didn't make it clear whether it was the Comodo firewall or AV you
had rejected.

Neither, Comodo Internet security which is Firewall and AV. The whole package scrwed me up so the whole package went.
Perhaps that's why I find the combination of Comodo Firewall Pro and Avast! more successful.

Just had a Comodo e-mail newsletter which includes a link to its forums:

tinyurl.com/c6rsql

which may help other HJ forum members at some time.
Comodo - Not for me thanks. - malteser
If you find Comodo not to your liking, you could try Online Armor from Australia.
Site is www.tallemu.com
There is a free version as well as a paid one.
Both versions come with HIPS and are much less intrusive with their pop-ups.
Comodo are currently trialling, in beta, a full security suite with some very innovative features.The AV will employ heuristics as well as signatures. Initial reports are encouraging, although the beta is only using a limited signature database to test if the combination of signatures & heuristics play happily together.
This version includes their "memory firewall" to stop buffer overflow attacks and soon will also incorporate BOClean, a dedicated anti-trojan engine.
When sorted and mature, in around six months or a bit less it will be very hard to resist such an offering for ZERO cost.
As far as I'm aware, Comdo's new Internet Security Suite:

www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/index.html

is the final version and has been out for a few weeks.