Replacing my Civic - hla
Looking to change my 2002 Civic Max, 100,000 miles and getting a bit rattly, for something 2-3 years old and similar size/economy. Hate the new Civics so it won't one of those! Considering a Jazz or Nissan Note, any other contenders I should be considering that will be reliable, economical and will cope with 3 adults and 2 grandchildren on short trips and 2 adults only for longer journeys.

Thanks

Hugh
Replacing my Civic - Pendlebury
Toyota Auris - will give similar levels of reliability and is spacious especially in the back where it has a flat floor like your Civic has.
Replacing my Civic - hla
Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't considered the Auris. They seem to hold their value well, 2 year old ones are more expensive than the Jazz. Perhaps I should also look at the Kia Rio and Mazda 3.

Hugh
Replacing my Civic - Pendlebury
The Mazda 3 does get very good write ups and is one car I would consider.
I think Mazda are the new Honda if you know what I mean - they have maintained their own identity even when they were part owned by Ford (which they no longer are) and build very reliable, well designed and comfortable cars at good prices. They are starting to use better engineering solutions to overcome fuel consumption by making cars lighter but stronger. When they put a diesel engine in the CX7 they will have a very good portfolio of cars. Whatever they seem to do works great. MX5, 6, 3 etc etc. Honda are starting to get too expensive IMO.
Replacing my Civic - FocusDriver
hla, out of interest why do you hate the new civic? Aesthetics or didn't you like the way it drives? HJ's review for these is "recommended".

Might I be so bold as to suggest the good old Focus? If you're looking at Jazzes then you'd be able to get a high-spec one with cc etc. I can't see a problem seating 5 (inc 2 littluns) for short journeys.
Replacing my Civic - hla
FocusDriver

I just don't like the styling of the new Civic, especially the rear window with the stuck on spoiler. Probably a reflection on my advanced years but I prefer more conservative styling!

Yes, the Focus is worth a look but I think the Jazz will prove more economical overall.

Hugh
Replacing my Civic - FocusDriver
stuck on spoiler

Yes, I see what you mean. I'm a bit conservative myself but I love the interior and like Hondas. Don't know what you call "advanced years" but I'm 33 and have never wanted anything that makes me stand out. Give me all the money in the world and I'd buy a Mondeo or similar. I've always had some reservations about the rear of the new Civic but there's got to be something you don't like about any car and HonestJohn highly recommends it. I'd love one.

Anyway, thanks for responding, good luck with your search and sorry I can't recommend anything as I never have any call for seating 5 people, however small they are. That said, go with your instincts and get the Jazz! People aren't ever sorry they bought one.
Replacing my Civic - hla
At 65+ I guess I'm a typical Honda buyer so I'll probably go with the Jazz but I think I'll test drive a Nissan Note first.

Thanks for your input

Hugh
Replacing my Civic - Avant
Whatever the aesthetics of the new Civic, the rear visibility is bad enough to be dangerous. Maybe if the Jazz is too small you could look for the last of the old-shape Civics (2005 I think). They have a huge amount of room in the back as you know, and nothing of that overall length comes close.

Edited by Avant on 14/01/2009 at 22:01

Replacing my Civic - ukbeefy
Would second the comment regarding appalling rear visibility. I had one as a hire car for a week a year ago and i started to attempt to anticipate situations to try and avoid reversing eg trying to find place to do a u turn rather than a reversing around a corner manoevre or finding quiet bits of the carpark to drive in drive out forwards spaces.

Also the model I had the 1.8ivtec seemed to me set up as if it were a hot hatch ie 6 gears close together. Was comfortable on motorway but not long legged at all. I wish Honda in the UK would engineer cars to be more like their US versions which major on effectively silent running and comfort.

I'd also think keeping the interior dust free would be maddening with all those nooks and crannies in the dashboard.
Replacing my Civic - hla
As a short driver I find the rear visibility in the old Civic pretty poor so for me it's yet another reason not to consider the new one. Was given a lift in a Nissan Note today and was very impressed with the build quality - must get a test drive.

Hugh