Insurance for learner as named driver - guygamps
I drive a Merc CLK, my wife is second named driver on
I had a prang in another car in May 07, which wiped out a bit of NCD, at last renewal i was granted 4 years NCD

My wife drives a Mitsubishi Grandis, with me as second name driver on it, she has 9 years NCD

We do reasonably well at shopping around each year for our car insurance, tend to get good deals, and tend to get cashback via Quidco, as opposed to simply renewing existing policy.

Eldest child is now about to start learning, neither car is suitable for teaching/learning, so thinking of buying a mates VW Polo, 11 years old, well maintained, manual 1.6... but rusty but has jsut passed its MOT, bangernomics and all that, probably worth about £300 (still talking to him about it).

trying to get a car insurance quote for Mrs G to be owner, me to be additional driver no 1,. and daughter (on provisional license) to be additional driver no 2.

So far the only quote I got was £1350., WOW! thats alot

never before having insured for a learner (shes my eldest of 4).. I have no ideas if that is reasonable or no. the Merc and Mitsu each cost about £350 per year to insure and they are big powerful autos, but then again not going to be driven by a learner.

Guy.

Amended thread title to make it a little less vague, Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 13/01/2009 at 15:39

Insurance for learner as named driver - rtj70
What is the quote without your daughter on it?

I know you don't have any NCB to use on this third car but that sounds steep for her as a learner. Now if she was the main driver etc., might be about right depending on area.

Edited by rtj70 on 13/01/2009 at 15:39

Insurance thought - SteVee
Try insuring it in her name with her as the owner.
Make sure the insurance company know she has a provisional licence.
Put one or both parents on as additional drivers.

The insurance co will probably regard her as the main driver (even with the provisional licence) - and that would appear to be the case from your post.

Shop around.

Do you have any experience of accompanying a learner ?

Insurance thought - guygamps
no experience accompany a learner, thinking is this...

basically pay for driving lessons...

in between practise going up and down through the gears, breaking steadiky, steering maneouvres, use of mirrors, parking, reversing, and general car control in a HUGE nearby well lit supermarket car park late at night.

Would not take her on public roads ourselves until fairly confident she has good control of the car and has had a fair few lessons.

Guy

Insurance thought - oldnotbold
Any good instructor will get them on the open road in the second (if not the first) lesson. Then you get on the road with them. Supermarket car parks don't teach anything but slow speed control/parking/reversing.

I had to grab the wheel/handbrake once or twice, but nothing too serious. It helps that we live in the countryside, so we had some quiet roads to drive through before we got to the local town, and then could graduate onto Oxford to get experience on the roads used in the test.

I've taken two daughters in the past three years through it. Both passed second time.
Insurance thought - smokie
Guess this is fully comp? A lot depends on where you live, but the engine size will probably be considered biggish for a provisional.

A few years back I got TPFT for each of my daughters in their own right when they were 18 and on provisionals. They used the same car - 1.1. Fiesta in the same place in Berkshire. Both were around the £800 mark. The thinking was that they might earn some NCB (1 did, 1 didn't!) and I didn't especially want them on the same policy as me...

Insurance thought - oldnotbold
HJ's Ins Gp calc (link on the top of this page) says that a 97 1.6 Polo is Gp 6, 7 or 8, possibly even 9.

There's your answer. To keep the insurance down it'll need to be Gp 1,2 or 3.

Edited by oldnotbold on 13/01/2009 at 15:49

Thanks all

I just had a look at www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk

They will insure her (and only her) for £182.50 for 84 days, works out at £834 per year, but we would also need cover for her mum or I to drive it.

Useful thoughts from you all, thanks, keep em coming.

Guy
Insurance thought - martint123
I think that the insurance companies know that if you and spouse have your own vehicles and one of you buys another vehicle and put a child as named driver then it is in fact for them.
Not only do they wack up the premiums, but they have a get out in case of a payout.

Put it in her name, insure it in her name and let her build up her own NCD
Insurance thought - Spospe
We had this situation 2 years ago. Our solution was to get daughter to insure car in her own name and add my wife and myself as additional drivers.

The big surprise (to me) was that the premium was lower with me on it as a named driver and lower still with my wife added also (both of us with max NCB). The theory seems to be that the more drivers there are, the less the new driver will be driving and hence the lower the risk.
... and who did you find cheapest?

Well using one of those comparison sites (Beat that quote), i started again, this time entering her details as the policy holder with 0 NCD, adding Mrs G as additional driver 1, and me as additional driver 2.

got a quote back on the results page from Admiral for £1014.75

not bad...

using tips from the forum, has now potentially saved me £350...

so I'll share one with you....

BREAKDOWN INSURANCE... anyone interested?

AutoAid. £37 per year will cover Mrs G and myself driving any car. Thats not bad is it.. found it today following tips on moneysavingexpert.com forum, rave reviews from their customers

Guy
Insurance thought - smokie
My own insurance is cheaper with spouse than without - apparently they like the idea that you are in a steady relationship.

Insured my kids through Direct Line.
Insurance thought - rtj70
Off the initial thread topic but got my wife's insurance down by adding me too. Would have done for years but one accident which was 50/50 (company car) went against me and then another in a hire car took ages (Italy) was not my fault - no the HGV that ran into us was to blame.

I'd look at putting it in her name with you as parents as additional drivers. Once she passes it needs to be in her name anyway - fronting is not an option.

Someone above is probably 100% right in saying when you insure a car in your name and add a teenager as an additional driver but you have another car.... yes the teenager is the real main driver. They will load the premiums but if there was an accident they would quickly try to get out of responsibility.

My nephew got a new (brand new!) Citroen C2 for his 17th birthday present and is learning!!! I still think that is stupidly extravagant. A nearly new car maybe but this was brand new.
Insurance thought - gsb
Which ever way you go, main driver or named driver also ask the insurance company what happens to the premium when you advise them your daughter has passed her test. Often premium increases a fair amount, logic being she will use the car more and not be accompanied by instructor or parent.

Two years ago we used Liv Vic for my 17 yr old daughter prov license on old 1.4 polo they did not increase premium. This year after hrs of research ended up with Diamond.

These guys have been recommended on HJ before for young learners with old cars.

www.gsi-insurance.com/youngdrivers.html I think it's best to phone them