2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - dmbeale
2001 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD
Can anyone help please ??? Car drives fine around town with gentle accelerating and will even get up to 70+ (eventually!) on a motorway.. however as soon as you put your foot down under load the car's engine surges and looses all power. No lights come on the dash at all until virtually stopped and the car has cut out. Unable to start again for a few seconds. The starter turn over fast but nothing. Does it sound like fuel starvation or something more sinister i.e. expensive ????? No obvious signs of any loose vacuum pipes or leaking fuel. Dirty/Blocked fuel filter ?? Any advice gratefully received. Cheers

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2009 at 15:55

2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - MerlinTec
Hi
This is a hard one without looking at it. Are you a mechanic or mechanically minded? Does it start ok first off? When was the fuel filter last changed?
First test would be to see what the fuel pressure is, to do this you would need a diagnostic machine that will tell you this. The dealers DRB test machine will tell you the actual fuel pressure and the set point fuel pressure (what it should be). So if it can?t maintain this you will see it.
If it can?t maintain this pressure the first test would be the injector leak back test and that is 25ml per injector over one minute from the return pipe on to the top of the injector. Dealer has pots that fit on the top of the injectors in place of the plastic return pipe to do this test. If you have too much return the fuel system will have problem maintaining fuel pressure.
Next would be to replace the PROP valve (fuel pressure control solenoid) that fits in the high pressure pump as these stick and you get fuel pressure fluctuations again this can been seen on a diagnostic machine.
Both the above are common faults on the CRD so first place to start most of the time you also get fault code P1130 fuel rail pressure malfunction.
2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - Smitfire
I've got a 2004 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD Limited.

This happened to me two days ago so I managed to get the car to my local dealer (after the car stalled 12 times on the journey) and was told the Prop valve needed replacing. Cost £320 + VAT for the part, plus labour on top - total approx £500 to repair.

Not cheap, so I've asked for a discount. It's still in over this weekend so the work hasn't commenced yet, but I was wondering if its possible to source this part myself at less cost, and then ask a non-dealer mechanic to fit it.

Any tips on this gratefully received.

Cheers.
2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - MerlinTec
Hi
Well it's a bosch pump so maybe a bosch dealer could help you.
2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - jikanv

This stalling in the chrysler voyager crd is related to Algae growing in the fuel tank. -Bad fuel that's all it is. ( I don't understand why any diesel or good mechanic won't talk about this when it's common knowledge) I guess makes too much money for the dealers.

The algae can get into your tank when you are refueling, it could be in the fuel at the fuel station, could get in from the air while you are filling up, etc.

The algae to grow only needs two things, water and fuel. Condensation puts water into the tank and the diesel is the food.

After a while, your in tank fuel pump's filter mash gets clogged up by all this gunk in the tank and won't be able to supply sufficient fuel to the engine and in order to protect the engine, the computer shutts it off.

The faster you drive, the higher the suction in the tank, sucking up all that crud against that very fine filter mash, restricting the flow. When the engine stalls on you and waited a few seconds, the gunk separates enough from the filter mash to let some fuel trough and you can start it up just about immediately, but sometimes you have to wait a few minutes, but able to start it up no matter.

Quite frequent in farm machinery if the farmer don't treat his fuel tanks and storage tanks with biocide to kill the algae. The machines are usually used in the summer and sitting all winter. If the diesel in them are not treated with biocide to inhibit the growth of algae, it would ruin their farm machines quickly.

The algae travels up the fuel line clogging your inline fuel filter, that is underneath the car, right in front of the rear axle. Very easy to get to and change it. (cylinder shaped, just unhook the wire loom and twist it off with the right size wrench. I think 24 mm slide the old fuel filter downwords and replace it with a new one. Takes about 3 minutes top).

Furthermore, the algae can go up into your high pressure fuel pump and the mprop valve, which sits on top of the high pressure pump and also the injectors. Although these are probably running alright if the car starts up without trouble and don't need to be changed.

What you need to do; take the fuel tank off. (two straps holdng it up). Disconnect the filler neck and the wiring loom to the fuel pump. (You need to loosen it up first and disconnect them before you let it fully down to the ground)

Take the fuel pump out and clean the mesh really good. Wash the fuel tank out with something like bleach or something that kills the algae. Wash it out with washing detergent too. Scrub as much of the muck off of it's sides inside as you can reach.

Let it fully dry out. Change the inline fuel filter in front of the rear axle.

Re install the tank and fill it up with fresh diesel and put some biocide in it before starting up and also put biocide into it every time you put fuel in it for at least a month or two. After that you can reduce the frequency.

You want the biocide to kill the algae in the fuel line too and up in the high pressure pump area too. Change the inline fuel filter at least once a week for about a month or so.

Practically the whole thing will cost you about the cost of the biocide and the filters and your time it takes to remove the tank and clean it and re installing. That's about it.

I am not saying there can't be anything else wrong with your vehicle, but if the car is throwing code P1130 starts good and running good and the engine cuts out all of a sudden while accelerating under load and you have a diesel engine just about 100% this is the one causing it.

How to check for the code? Put your key in the ignition and turn it really quick on and off 3 times to where all the dash lights come on, but don't start the engine.

The explanation of the code P1130 says Oxygen sensor bank 1, but I guess it's just an after effect of the computer shutting the engine thinking it's the wrong fuel air mixture.

You might have to do the tank job yourself, as it's very hard to find a garage to do it and to trust they'll do it right. After all its your money they are working with and don't care much.

Hope it helps. This should cure other makes of diesel cars with the same problem.

Edited by jikanv on 22/02/2013 at 20:25

2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - Collos25

This stalling in the chrysler voyager crd is related to Algae growing in the fuel tank. -Bad fuel that's all it is. ( I don't understand why any diesel or good mechanic won't talk about this when it's common knowledge) I guess makes too much money for the dealers.

This is so rare its not common ,and there are not many diesels with this problem.

There are many more common reasons why this model stops going and other diesel models ,why make a large problem where one does not exist.

2001 2.5 diesel stalling on hard acceleration - phatboyroy

see my report HJ back room > tech matters > select voyager dated 04 Jul 011

it may be that, IT'S LIKELY TO BE THAT.

best of luck

Let me know by posting a reply

I also urge you to report your problems to VOSA, (as i have done) and to email andrew.nicholls@gmail.com

see his report on my thread at Fri 12 Aug 2011