'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Foggy
I'm just about to buy an April 1996 728i with (I guess) the Nikasil M52 engine. The car has covered just 62,000 miles with fbmwsh. I don't believe the car has had the cylinder block replaced.

I'm getting a full RAC inspection done prior to purchase - should this pick up problems re: bore wear (eg in a compression test?)

If the car seems fine currently can I expect bore-related problems in the next 40,000 miles? I believe that petrol in the UK now is generally ultra low sulphur - does this apply to supermarket petrol (I use Tesco as it's close and cheap!). Will using ultra-low sulphur petrol help prevent future problems?

Finally - any '96 / '97 728i owners out there who can comment on the Nikasil issue? I'd appreciate it if you could state in your reply if you know defeinitely if you've got a replacement block or not. Please put my mind at rest or stop me from buying a lemon!!!
'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Ian D
Start with BMW customer services om 01344 426565, quote the reg number and ideally the last 7 digits of the VIN number and they should be able to tell you if the car has nikasil liners/had a new block.

An inspection should pick up any apparent problems (smoke, uneven running, as you say compression problems), most problem blocks should have been weened out by now but I guess even using low sulphur petrol there are no guarantees what may happen in 40,000 miles, its bound to be a bit of a risk...

Ian M

'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Supermarket petrol.................I give up.........
'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Steve S
Absolutely, ships and a ha'peth of tar?
'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Dizzy {P}
Foggy,

Some good pointers from Ian. The following site also contains heaps of good advice ...
www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm
HJ,
I've referred to the Nikasil website several times in the past and the information in it appears to be very reliable, an essential attribute for anything appearing in your FAQs!

Foggy,
I've just noticed that the Nikasil website doesn't list the 728 as having Nikasil cylinder liners, so you might be lucky.
'96 BMW 728i M52 Engine - Advice?!! - Foggy
Thanks all to your replies - especially Ian D. I'd seen the www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm link but just wanted independent opinions.

I spoke to both the servicing dealer and BMW UK today and both confirmed that the block, pistons, conrods and camshaft were replaced as a result of the Nickesil issue at 30,000 miles in September 1998 (replaced with the Cast Iron block).

Full marks to the Preston dealer (Bowker) whom I spoke to today, They were brilliant, were able to confirm the service history and the block change (which they evidently did before problems were evident) and have even put a copy of the documentation in the post.

I've just popped back from a test drive and I'm in love!! RAC inspection Thursday, and assuming that's clean I should get the car this weekend. A 62,000 mile immaculate 728 with an engine just 30,000 miles old, full history and RAC inspected for less than ten grand? Why the hell hasn't everyone got one??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simon Warby has just told me that he forgot to include the 728 in his Nikasil webpage and will update the page accordingly.