Backwards window wipers - Kev
Ok, as some cars now come with backwards sweeping window wipers, eg some french cars, are these actually better?
If they are better, in countries where they drive on the right, do their wipers go the 'wrong' way ie. the way ours do? Or do we only have this device?
Or is it just cheaper in production? surely not?
Cheers, Kev
Re: Backwards window wipers - Brian
Could someone please translate
Re: Backwards window wipers - Andrew Bairsto
I do not understand the question wipers clean with both sweeps how can you have a left hand or a right hand version
Re: Backwards window wipers - Ian Aspinall
I think what Kev is referring to is whether the wipers sweep from left to right (as seen from inside the car) on the upwards arc, thus ending up vertical on the offside of the screen (RHD driver's side), or vice versa, ending up vertical on the nearside.

The former is the norm for RHD cars, and I can only assume that any which go the other way are like that because it's cheaper to standardise, and more cars are built in LHD than RHD.

What about monowipers though? Does anyone know whether these sweep a greater area than 2 wipers, especially the Merc-style ones where the pivot point moves slightly from side to side?
Re: Backwards window wipers - Kev
Sorry i didnt realise it was inelligable, yep Ians got it about right, thanks. Is this safer? i watched something on watchdog about it, and someone from peugeot said that it was actually better? is it? As the water seems to flick onto the line of view.
About single wipers, ive seen a few youth cars, where the normal 2 wipers, are replaced with 1 central 1, is this illegal?
Re: Backwards window wipers - steve
As someone involved in the manufacture and design of wiper systems I have found this discussion quite interesting. Virtually all wiper systems are made in LH and RH versions even for the same model of car, there is a manditory requirment on swept area and wiper speed. increasing arm length is not a good idea in the long run the increase in motor torque required would reduce system life. I am afraid it's a case of the manufacturer knows best.
Re: Backwards window wipers - GRAEME CLARK
Yes...Brian

Its called ANORAKS discussing wipers...Next week we will look into the finer points of wing mirror adjusting....
It should not make much difference which side they pivot from so long as they adequately cover the area in front of the driver on their sweep.
However, I have found that on some cars the swept area can be increased by fitting a slightly longer blade as for some reason the factory-fitted blades leave a considerable margin between the blade and the edge of the glass.
Some standard arm lengths also seem to be a little on the long side, but that is not so easy to deal with.
Re: Backwards window wipers - Andrew Tarr
Yes, and on some cars the 'passenger' wiper is slightly shorter than the driver's. A bit of a nuisance when buying replacements.
If fitting a slightly longer blade is going to materially affect the system life then I would suggest that the product is under-engineered and may not be expected to cope with normal extra loads like ice on the screen.
Re: Backwards window wipers - richard turpin
I had an Audi once where the wipers self parked just after the upstroke had begun. This meant that the wipers did not stay with the same edge bent over all the time, leading to judder. I thought Audi had done it on purpose, but have had several since and it appears that it was a one off mistake. Pity, it really worked, and proves that you don't need devices like Rolls Royce fitted with little levers to lift the wipers when parked.
Re: Backwards window wipers - steve paterson
What happened to the windscreens developed by either Audi or Saab - I think.
A trough was moulded in the screen, at the bottom of the wiper stroke. The idea was that at the end of each stroke, the wiper blades would enter the trough, be flipped over and scraped clean, ready for the next stroke. I can recall the publicity for this system, but I've never seen one. Has anyone ?
Youth Cars??????????????? - Guy Lacey
A recent Concours d'Elegance MkI Golf GTI at GTI International with a single wiper was displayed by a man in his late 40's if not early 50's.

Please don't be a typical middle aged man and criticise the "youth" for doing exactly the same as you did when you were young.

As for "youth cars" - aren't single wipers fitted as standard to Mercedes Benz and some Citroens?

Grow up.
Re: Youth Cars and me - Kev
What i meant is, is the whole wiper system changed, or is the connecting rod removed, and the wiper just cleans the drivers bit?

Guy Lacey wrote:
>
> Please don't be a typical middle aged man and criticise the
> "youth" for doing exactly the same as you did when you were
> young.
>
> Grow up.

By the way Guy, im 17
Does that make me unwelcome here?
Re: Single Wipers - Guy Lacey
OK. So you are 17. What I was getting across was I do not like people refering to modified cars as purely those knocked about in by younger drivers. Some of the most highly modifed cars are driven by men in their autumn years (as they are the only ones who can afford the insurance and exotic fitments)

Single wipers are illegal if not fitted as original spec' to the car. You just need to find a "friendly" MOT centre.

On Golfs the concersion is simple and you simply get a straight wiper arm (Citroen AX) and fit it to middle pivot then modify the linkage. The wiper cleans the whole screen.

Best modification out there is Porsche style twin wipers.......soon to be installed on the Lacey-mobile.
Re: Backwards window wipers - steve paterson
Back in the days of the Rover SD1 and 2 a faulty door mirror could prevent the engine from starting