BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - LinuxGeek
I know this has been discussed here few times but I just wanted to share my own experiences with both.
In my 323 2.0 TD I've been filling it up with Shell V-Power for past 4/5 months. Almost 3 weeks ago, I filled it up with BP Ultimate and I noticed after driving it for a bit that car was a bit more responsive. What surprised me the most was that with the same amount of diesel and same sorts of journies I got 60 miles more. I filled it up again with the BP Ultimate and the same happened and now I've filled it up with BP Ultimate for 3rd time running.
I always thought Shell VPower was better but my car has sort of proved me wrong. Has anyone else had the same sorts of experience?
BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - A11DNL
Ultimate is 55 Cetane v 50 for V-Power so is beneficial if your car can use it. I do - in a MINI Clubman D. (It seems quieter too.)
BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - stan10
Hello MazMan, your post has just rung a bell with me, so apologies for the two-pronged reply, and also, probably for the length.
Diesel - i am a diesel novice, and not especially a fan, so when i bought a diesel commercial early last year, i trawled the 'net for info, and came up with
Petrol - Shell make the best
Diesel - BP make the best (ultimate)
However, Which? mag recently dissected various diesel fuels, and concluded that - ultimate is -the best- BUT, their regular diesel has all but exactly the same amount of ingredients that make it so, and therefore, taking the price difference into account, could see no reason for using the expensive brew.
( i have used ultimate from the start, but have now changed to regular on the basis of this report, and in a non-lab situation i can't notice any difference )

However - Petrol ..
I have always used Esso, because it's the nearest / cheapest "brand" in my area ( it matches the supermarkets).
Over Christmas i took the 1.8 Mondeo estate on a 450mile round trip (mostly motorway).
Filling up with Esso at home = 38.57mpg at an indicated 65-70 on the speedo (2 decimal places - how sad)
Filling up (for convenience) with Shell regular petrol to come back = 46.11mpg at an indicated 70-75mph, and yes - i did double check, and no - i don't work for Shell !
Roadworks / traffic density notwithstanding the penny has just dropped that maybe i should try Shell for my regular commute.

I suppose the message is that, for fuel, along with most things in life, try the different options and see which one suits your own individual car / driving style
BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - Hamsafar
I don't know whether it is just due to the change in elevation between start and finish, but on a regular 150 mile return trip of mine, I get 40mpg going and <36mpg returning, every time, same driving style etc... I always use Shell Diesel Extra, so it's not the fuel.

Edited by Hamsafar on 05/01/2009 at 21:08

BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - MikeTorque
I can literally feel the difference between any given fuel. BP Ultimate diesel is the best I've experienced, Shell V feels slightly flat compared with BP U, the mpg is marginally better with BP U.

Edited by MikeTorque on 05/01/2009 at 22:05

BP Ultimate & Shell V-Power - LinuxGeek
Its good to see I'm not the only one who seemed to have found BP Ultimate diesel being slightly superior than Shell VPower. Where I work, I've got both BP and Shell just nearby and BP Ultimate is always 2p cheaper than Shell VPower. They both compete on the normal petrol/diesel price but I guess BP only charges 4p more whereas Shell adds 6p/litre to its premium diesel!