02 1.9TDI ABS & Oil level light and alarm problems - Passat25
I have owned the car virtually from new and it is now coming up to 120K miles.

Car has developed a continuing problem with both brake warning lights coming on (ABS and Brake system). Codes indicate a brake stop light switch problem. This has been replaced 3 times (twice by VW dealers) in the last 18 months. But problem still persists. Lights normally come on as I'm slowing to a stop (as against just stopped with footbrake on). If I turn ignition off and restart car the lights then go off. Incidence of lights coming on has been random and they can come on fairly soon after setting off or more usually after some time. However, I have noticed that they have been coming on almost immediately (still during braking) over the last week. The last brake light switch was replaced a 4 weeks ago.
I also had a temperature sender replaced recently as diagnostics apparently indicated a sensor problem (in spite of me not seeing any problem).

I have also started having a problem with the oil level sensor. This is normally on start up and I get the yellow flashing oil can and a warning of an "oil sensor problem workshop". I've checked my oil level and all is ok. The warnings go off within a minute of start up.

Some weeks ago, I also had a problem with my alarm constantly going off. This stopped after a couple of days with just the odd incident. I did notice that during this period, the headlights did not flash when locking the car. This problem has now stopped. But I wonder whether all of these problems could be related in some way and may indicate an electrical problem.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/01/2009 at 10:52

02 1.9 TDI ABS&0il level light and alarm problems - Halmer
Check front and rear foot well carpets for water ingress through pollen filter housing, particularly passenger side.
02 1.9 TDI ABS&0il level light and alarm problems - Passat25
Carpets are completely dry and there is no sign of any water in the passenger footwell.

02 1.9 TDI ABS&0il level light and alarm problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Brake light switches on VAG models are a continuos problem area.Fitting these can be a bit tricky and the adjustment is critical.Was the last switch fitted a genuine part and are the bulbs working corrcectly?As for the oil light /alarm setting fault,this could be related to the bonnet switch/sensor .The system check control needs to monitor the open/closing of bonnet to reset oil check.hth
02 1.9 TDI ABS&0il level light and alarm problems - Hamsafar
The brake light switches are junk, and also, if you knock the brake pedal UPWARDS with your big clown shoes, it will move the switch on it's splines and make it's position out of calibration. I have knocks my pedal UP a few times and had to remove and refit it and carefully adjust the position of it.
02 1.9 TDI ABS&0il level light and alarm problems - Passat25
Yes the last part was genuine and fitted by a VW garage. The bonnet switch/sensor does sound a distinct possibility.