01 1.2 Inaccurate Speedometer - adampbrown
The speedometer on my Punto has recently started to UNDER report the speed actually travelling.

When calibrating against my Sat-Nav, the speed reported seems accurate when crusing at higher speeds (> 50mph) but at slower speeds, the needle can be anything up to 15mph under the actual speed! However, the speed is not consistently a certain percentage under - it can vary, and can sometimes be accurate!

The car recently had a new clutch and it's gearbox re-conditioned (the gearbox was leaking oil onto the clutch plate) and the speedometer problems seem to have appeared at a similar time - could the re-conditioned gearbox be causing the faulty speed reporting?
01 1.2 Inaccurate Speedometer - Peter D
There is a speed sensor in the diff assembly of the gear bos and it may have a bad connection or low output. Regards Peter
01 1.2 Inaccurate Speedometer - adampbrown
I have contacted the garage that sorted the gearbox - they had the gearbox re-conditioned by another company, and presumably re-fitted it. The speedometer problems seem to have developed since the work on the gearbox.

Anyway, the garage have said that it may be the "Speedo Drive" or the "Speedo Head" - but has not accepted that there may be a link between the work they did on the gearbox.

I would appreciate it if anybody could translate what the mechanic meant by the Speedo Drive or Head, and whether that sounds feasible? Could this problem NOT be linked by the gearbox work and be just a coincidence?

Thanks