Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - oilrag
Changed oil at 3,000 interval (total 50,000) - its quieter warming up on the drive at -1C this morning. This is the old 1.9D, indirect injection diesel - which seems to constantly juggle large balls of soot - letting one fall on its head every seven seconds or so.
Yes, its desperately dirty, when contrasted with Common rail with DPF. The oil change interval is 6,000 miles and it seems as though its absolutely gagging for a change at half distance.

It was using Mobil Super M 15w40 - but this time I used Shell Rimula 15w40. With the viscosity being the same - I was surprised it was quieter.. I had assumed the old oil would be thickening up with soot and as such it would be noisier with new oil.

Or is it likely that the the old oil had sheared and was yet to thicken with increased soot loading?

The engine sounds like new though actually - perhaps in part due to its half distance oil and filter changes.
And worth noting that this is the constant cold running - ultra short journey - stop start, home care car. Averaging 53mpg on this sort of work. Its around double the mpg of the petrol engined car that did the same round before the diesel was bought.

Future plans?
Bought new in 02, the plan was for ten plus years or so. But with DPF seeming to rule new diesels out for my wife`s sort of work - I`m looking at it differently. The same with the 2005,Euro 4 - but non DPF - Multijet Van.

Perhaps DPF has been a `tipping point` where diesel cars made before that will be seen as similar to the `simple` cars of the 90`s?

The manufacturers must surely be sweating to sort out the `unfit for purpose` DPF fiasco before the general (non technical) public realise that there`s another reason to not buy a new diesel - other than the recession.

Cheap soot and stink? Or expensive and constipated DPF with failed laxatives?

The old `juggler` is seeming more attractive to us by the day, we might just continue to keep it going - until perhaps a new pure electric car can undertake its daily 20 miles of around 40 cold stop starts.

Thoughts?

Edited by oilrag on 15/12/2008 at 09:02

Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Alby Back
Given the care you lavish on your vehicles oilrag, I can't any reason why it wouldn't last a very long time. I would stop using washing up liquid though......
Nothing better on white - non laquered paint - now and then, Humph, for a deep clean of our West Yorkshire grime..... ;)

I should add, re the above post. Its not really the cost of a new replacement vehicle at 10yrs. But more the thought that it can`t be replaced - due to its extreme service use and DPF`s clogging in much less severe running conditions.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Old Navy
I run a common rail, dmf fitted car and only bought it because it does not have a DPF. As you say not fit for purpose, ok for mega mile lease cars but when the penny drops with the average car buyer DPF cars will be shunned. The soot produced by a diesel is insignificant compared to an open fire.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Altea Ego
>soot produced by a diesel is insignificant compared to an open fire.

which is why open fires never really caught on in cars.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - NowWheels
The soot produced by a diesel is insignificant compared to an open fire.

When your diesel car has an exhaust pipe terminating 30feet above the ground, let's do a proper comparison of the nature of the particles released. ;p

Until then, your diesel exhaust is belching out its noxious fine particles a few feet below the level of everyone's nose.

I'm not trying to get at you for liking older diesel engines; I had one myself and was very fond of it. But there's a lot more known now about their emission problems, and it's not good.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Andrew-T
As you look after it so assiduously, Oilrag, I presume you use injector cleaner and change the air filter occasionally? That certainly helps the soot output.
Yes Andrew, I do all the servicing.On the indirect injection job, I only use injector cleaner at fuel filter changes though - using it to fill the new canister before fitting. I would`nt bother at all if had a self bleeding lift pump system as i`m not into additives.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Alanovich
Oilrag, I think my Fiat Stilo is a direct injection diesel - it's a 2005 1.9 JTD (non-Multijet). Is it? When you say you use injector cleaner at fuel filter change, I presume you mean once the new filter has been fitted? Also, would you mind telling me which brand you use? I'm interested in doing this myself. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Alanovich on 15/12/2008 at 13:22

Different engine Alanovich. Mine (on the car - not the van)is the older indirect injecton job, not the JTD. I wouldn`t use an injector cleaner on my other Common Rail Multijet. I only use it on a new filter change on the old engine to fill the canister filter as its `sucked` from the engine rotary pump and not self bleeding of air as is the Multijet - with its Bosch system.

Out of tech interest - on the old engine i use whatever injector clean gives the required volume to fill the filter completely... I used to drain some diesel from the tank to fill the filter instead.

I tend to think non supermarket (but not the special) fuels and a regular good run up to 4,000 revs is better than additives.

Just a personal view - no evidence to back that up.

Edited by oilrag on 15/12/2008 at 15:49

Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - gordonbennet
Surprised no one's been on to give you an ear bending Oily, changing perfectly good oil that could easily outlast the engine...

As you know i'm firmly in your camp re good servicing and i always perform at least one between service oil change, always have and see no reason to change.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't get a good stock of Vim in before it disappeared, i'm sure it would have paled the washing up liquid into insignificance putting that deep clean into the white enamel..;)

On the subject of your sooty engine, i wonder if long term use of Millers would have made any difference to the state of injectors and general engine internal cleanliness etc.

I haven't discussed this situation on another vehicle specific forum i use, as you know we have a hilux 3.0d4d bought Sept last year, now many owners of that vehicle have sent their vehicles in under warranty for excessive noise which apparently requires some injectors to be replaced, so far our engine is remarkably quiet, and like your own vehicle is quieter again following oil change.
Is the Millers keeping our injectors clean and operating well?
I honestly don't know the answer to that, but its an ongoing experiment, and its the first new vehicle i've owned so i'm seeing if good (overzealous?) maintenance and allowing a warm up period etc and of course constant use of millers can help a relatively new but reasonably simple (at least for these days) modern diesel vehicle give a long trouble free life.

I hope you continue to run your vehicle for a long time yet, does Lady Oilrag prefer the old school NA diesel for her work, compared to the smaller TD's i should imagine its almost impossible to stall and very tractable, thats got to be easier for her dodging about round the houses doing the good works.

Just out of interest, a very large fleet i deliver vans too (fleet of thousands) are taking more Fiat doblo vans in preference to another make that uses the same engine, the fleet engineer at one depot told me the Fiats just keep going where the other make are forever being diagnosed for various problems.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - spikeyhead {p}
I'm firmly in the camp of not changing the oil between the recommended intervals. The engine on my Mondeo is still very good and changing the oil twice as often would have meant another 15, yes, fifteenoil changes. At £30 a time that's £450. At an hour each, that's also two days worth, charged at my usual charge out rate would pay my insurance on the Mondeo and the Porsche for a year.

Personally, I'll keep the extra money and time.
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - MikeTorque
Have you tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) to help you with your DPF phobia ?
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - rtj70
Is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy available as computer based training (CBT), or CBTCBT.
Sorry Guys, I wrote a long detailed response - but Log-In timed out and I don`t have time to do it again..
Regards
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Armitage Shanks {p}
Luckily for you BR members I don't 'do' long posts but, if I did, I think I would compose and edit them in Word and then cut and paste into the reply box. Would that work?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/12/2008 at 07:41

Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - madf
>Armitage

forget long replies.

Unless formatted in paragraphs of 8 lines or less, I do not read them.

Why?

Life is too short. And my eyesight does not like the strain.

No doubt I miss lots.. BUT...
GB, Enjoyed your detailed post - as always ;)

You must be a faster at typing than me...

Yes, The boss reports the 1.9d to be much preferable at chugging around the houses and appreciates its sub 1,000 revs torque - pulling away from lights in the city.

Interesting that you notice the quieter running with new oil - surely only shearing and reduced viscosity of the old oil would have this effect?
Re Additives.. Glad its working for you and look forward to hearing more - also of the drain plug thing.

Did you get under it with the Waxoil? At any rate, I bet you are out there washing that underbody salt off at least as often as me.
All the best!
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - gordonbennet
Interesting that you notice the quieter running with new oil - surely only shearing

I don't really know the reasons for quieter running after oil change, but i've always noticed it, especially since running diesels some 24 or 5 years now i think, and i don't think any of my cars have gone beyond 3 or 4K without a change.
The pick up will probably get its interim at 4 to 4.5K.

Yes i got all the Wax-hoyling and stuff done on both vehicles in the warm weather, but now i have a compressor i may well get down and dirty and do a full strip out of the pick up and do the whole of the inside of the shell/door skins/tailboard etc this year, and of course get loads inside the ladder chassis too.
The whole underside has had heavy sprayed coats of the heavy waxoyle undercoat and shows not a spot of rust, yet.

In the course of my job i've seen some almost new 4x4's getting rust starting on the exposed parts of the chassis, stopping that before it starts.

My new garden sprinkler should be here this week, can't wait to set that up under the motors at the weekend, will get swmbo to take the pick up through the ford crossing on Friday night, she'll enjoy getting some huge waves going no doubt..;)

Best wishes too...
Dirty old `soot ball juggling` diesel? - at 6.5yrs - Andrew-T
>shows not a spot of rust, yet.

Well it wouldn't, would it - it's all under the Waxoyl ...