Petrol V Diesel - k9dan
Hi everyone,
First of all best of seasons greetings, been looking at Grand Scenic from a well known car supermarket, year old petrol dynamic 7 seater for £7700, low mileage. Been reading the forum on the diesel French engines, and basically been put off any modern common rail engine, and poor dealer knowledge on these if they go wrong. SO the question is how safe a buy is the 1.6 VVT version of these with manual box. I know these have well known coil pack problems but is an easy fix. Scenic is good size with occasional 7 seat use and good 2nd hand prices. Low mileage use for SWMBO so economy not too important. Thoughts?
Petrol V Diesel - woodster
Have you checked the car-by-car breakdown section on this website? My neighbours had nothing but trouble with theirs. I'm guessing the price is good but doesn't that tend to bring on rose tinted specs?
Petrol V Diesel - k9dan
I thought the forum stuff related to older ones, my dad's had 4 with little problems, apart from the odd coil pack
Petrol V Diesel - DP
Our 54 plate 1.9dCi has been fabulous in the near 2 yrs we've had it (that said, the heater blower switch has just packed up). Really nice car - not exciting or sporty in any way, just spacious, airy, refined, comfy, safe and reliable. Build quality is a bit crap in places, but really it's been the perfect family car.

We've put 30,000 miles on it (now on 62k) and it's never let us down. Had a split turbo pipe which put it in limp mode, and a window regulator broke up. Apart from a couple of glowplugs, that's been it. Goes like stink (in diesel MPV terms) and coped admirably with a 2500 mile, 7 day round trip to Northern Italy in September, where it didn't skip a beat, and returned 43 mpg, including derestricted autobahns, and lugging a full load both ways over the Alps.

The well documented EGR/turbo problems on the dCi engines were sorted in 2003, and apart from perhaps the odd very early one, the Scenic II escaped these problems. It's a delightful engine to use. Smooth, quiet gutsy and frugal unless stuck in town. It's a Bosch fuel system too, which is reckoned to be pretty reliable unless misfuelled or neglected.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, or recommend to anyone.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 09/12/2008 at 20:20

Petrol V Diesel - stackman
We have an 05 plate 1.6VVT which we bought in July. So far it has been faultless, an extremely practical and comfortable car.

The VVT engine is no ball of fire but is quiet and refined. It needs to be revved to get anything other than sedentary progress but for Mrs Stack this is not an issue. We use it for longer runs in preference to my 02 120k Laguna 1.8 and it's fine on a long run. Normally running short trips around the lanes we get 35mpg, 40mpg on a run. My dad used to get 45mpg but then he drives like, well, like my dad!

Dad did 30k miles in his 1.6, including long runs to France. He did have a coil pack fail but it's a very simple fix. He kept a spare coil pack afterwards which now lives in one of the many cubbies in the back of our car. He now has a 1.5DCi from which he gets 60mpg.

The automatic handbrake is very easy to get used to, as are the automatic lights and wipers.

I can't think of a good reason not to buy one, particularly at that price.

Petrol V Diesel - Galad
FiL has a 2006 Scenic with just 9k from new. Electric mirrors and one window failed luckily all repaired under warranty (£300+ bill otherwise). Seems to be a weakness on Meganes/Scenics.
Petrol V Diesel - john96
Because the brand is seen as poor, if you get a good one, then you are laughing.
Ive just sold a mk1 megane (1.6 petrol) that Ive owned for nearly 6 years, and I had 2 electrical faults in that time, putting 65k on it. Price I paid was 3.5k and sold it for 1k.