Cars for teenagers - cardriver45
I have twin daughters taking their practical driving tests in the New Year (theory done and passed).

Anyone got a recommendation for a safe but maybe small car. It would also need to do a fair few miles to the gallon, since they are still at school/college. They could do without but i don't like the idea of them passing their test and then it being years later after uni when they drive again.

On the country roads around here their friends who have passed have had a fair few accidents between them, some serious and some minor. So safety is the main issue.
Cars for teenagers - rtj70
"On the country roads around here their friends who have passed have had a fair few accidents between them, some serious and some minor. So safety is the main issue."

You answer your own question probably. Not knowing the budget but safe and cheap is an older bigger car. And therefore insurance a problem.

Not knowing where you live insurance could be high anyway. What's wrong with them not having a car? When they do have to get insurance the question is "how long have you had licence". The fact you've not driven much/any since passing is not relevant.
Cars for teenagers - oldnotbold
You need to think about insurance costs, and therefore the insurance group. It'll need to be Group 3 or less. Have a play with confused.com to get an idea of costs. Using the car for commuting to college and taking to uni will bump up the premium.
Cars for teenagers - mrnikko
I have recently been through the same scenario.
I bought a mid 1990's Renault Clio it has been an excellent buy and got both girls through the test and both now at Uni but car in the garage ready for when they return when it will be used again. Apart from routine service and some tyres it has been good now I know back roomers will scream about Renault reliability ect but I cannot complain.
I would prefer for them to be in newer car but finance will not allow.
We live in a rural area and insurance has been a bit steep but one of our girls friends had a soloution,their parents bought them a Volvo 940 saloon and insured it for a considerable amount cheaper than a small girly car Clio, Corsa, Saxo Yaris ect.
I have seen the cost and it is fully comprehensive and good value, you see the insurance company loooks upon these old tanks as low risk.
Downside is economy and image but its got a bit of a cool image now with the girls and the upside is the car is still resonably strong and takes all of the childrens sporting gear around.
Not a soloution for every-one but an alternative offering.
Cars for teenagers - Big Bad Dave
Cardriver45, I am so pleased you chose to stick around after posting your most entertaining, initial thread regarding the bullying tactics of police/American military base personnel.

"I have twin daughters"

In no way connected to my first statement. Honestly.

Dave.
Cars for teenagers - Mookfish
Worth remembering that sometimes a medium or even large old car can be surprisingly cheap to insure if it's unpopular with young drivers, could be a good way to keep insurance down and safty up for your girls whilst still not spending too much on the car itself.
Cars for teenagers - Rattle
Just got a quote on a 940, twice what I am paying on the Fiesta :(. Insurance dosn't make any sense does it?
Cars for teenagers - captain chaos
Try a 740 and see if you can get it on classic insurance if you do a low mileage. The extra you'll spend on insurance is countered by what you'll save on repairs compared to a budget economy car. Look carefully enough and they can be had with fsh too :-)
Cars for teenagers - L'escargot
They could do without .........

It might help to teach them the value of money, and encourage them to choose subjects that will be of assistance in their eventual career. Also it might encourage them to start work immediately they've finished their education instead of swanning off around the world.
I'm answering a few threads at ones here

"they could do without"

and the legality of having a license and not driving for maybe years while at uni etc "no-one asks how long you have had a license"

Again this is about safety. A few months of lessons and then leaving it years after you have passed your test to drive a car, does not seem that safe to me. Also we live in a remote area, to get to public transport even requires a car (cheaper than moving maybe). I work for myself, so giving lifts does not just cost petrol etc but also has an implication on time costs. I could just not take them anywhere and they could stay in the house . . . . but that might have other implications . . . lol

One note about being remote is that their are good networks within friends to share lifts etc

Anyway it's good to encourage independence. I have met people around where I live who have never travelled certainly out of the county (Norfolk). It broadens the mind. It is also go for their job prospects to be independent.

But the main reason is Safety. I slightly larger older car, sounds a good idea. Also there always seems to be a car full of teenagers, so i should accept this and make it safe. Last note on safety i think I would prefer my girls to drive than get lifts from teenage boys - yes a sexist but real concern, backed up by facts i think!!

940 and 740 - are they volvos!!

Cars for teenagers - Group B
A few months of lessons and then leaving it years
after you have passed your test to drive a car does not seem that safe
to me.

A friend of mine did that. Passed his test but could not afford to buy a car and so did not drive for about 3 years. When he finally got a car he was a liability for a few weeks - we had to keep telling him not to brake with his left foot, and he had forgotten what half of the road signs meant.

I suppose he could have gone on some sort of refresher course, but there is no obligation to do so; it could have ended in tears.
Cars for teenagers - Alanovich
Sticking with Volvos, a 440 might be a good call too.
Cars for teenagers - SteVee
I second the Renault Clio. I really can't imagine teenage daughters being pleased with a Volvo. They may well prefer to walk or get a lift with the boys (I fully agree with your take on that)
My daughter drives a 2005 Clio 1.2 and wouldn't really consider anything much bigger.
(She wouldn't drive my primera for example)
The Clio has great safety, good brakes and lights - and good running costs.
It's simple enough for her to look after. Reliability has been excellent.
Cars for teenagers - mrnikko
Spoke to one of the girls last night and she reminded me that one of the boys in her class at the age of 17 bought and ran a m reg mondeo 1.8 LX as his car. Again he did it for insurance costs plus he lived in a remote part of Cumbria and to go out to the local town involved at least a 7 mile drive on country roads.
She cannot remember the insurance cost but it was cheaper than the Clio.
He wanted a reasonably safe car and the Ford fitted the bill, image zilch but he did not care.
In reply to another comment I suggest that some contributers live in a remote rural area before they come out with the usual public transport mantra.Where I live it is virtually non exsistant.
Newer smaller cars might be safer than an older bigger car. You'll get (more) airbags, better designed crumple zones, etc.

What is the budget for the car? And how mucu do you think insurance will be?
Cars for teenagers - Mike H
I bought a 1.4 1996 Megane for my son when he was 17 - mainly based on the safety aspect which is clearly key (see the CBC guide on this site). Apart from one particular problem which I hope I have now fixed, it has only required consumables in the last 4 years (exhaust, tyres, battery etc). It's good to drive, and returns around 38mpg. It's insurance group 4 so the insurance costs have been reasonable.
Lots of thoughtful and good advice from everyone, thank you it's very helpful.
Cars for teenagers - PhilW
My kids went through this stage about 10 years ago. They valued their cars because, although we helped them out a bit, they worked evenings and weekends to pay for the cars (and insurance). Both of them started out with Renaults - 5s - and they served them well. Daughter has moved on to Clios, (had a bit of trouble with the latest!)
Son has gone on to a Citroen C2 - smashing little car and has been very reliable (no problems at all in 4 years and 70k miles - just routine servicing) and very economical (1.4 diesel - not bad performance), also quite well regarded by the "younger set"??? - worth a thought?
Good luck - it's a minefield!!
Phil
Cars for teenagers - woodster
How about some advanced tuition to improve their safety? Not seen as cool perhaps, but any improvement in driving ability and safety must be worth it. Can bring insurance benefits too.
Cars for teenagers - Ian (Cape Town)
Aaah, teenage boys and cars... dontcha just love it!
Cardriver, the biggest problem is curbing the spontanaiety of youth.

Until they've had one heart-in-the-mouth experience, they think they are fireproof.

Even if/when they are licensed, it is still a good idea to take them out, with you driving, and say 'WATCH, learn, and ask questions..." because the test itself is hardly a be-all-and-end-all.
Put them (safely) into situations, and see how they respond. For example, if it is persisting with rain, load up you, the kids, dog, granny etc into the car, and see what they do when the screen mists up!
Or, for that matter, load up granny, dog, kids, sack of coal etc etc etc, and let them feel for themselves how lard-assed the car is when overloaded. They won't EVER invite half the pub for a lift home again!

You want the kids to ask intelligent questions - why did you do X, Y or Z?

The Old navy defensive thread is a good example - everyone can learn from others' experiences.
Cars for teenagers - Ian (Cape Town)
Oh, by the way, take them out and show them how to do the following...
1) fill up with the right brand of fuel
2) check the dipstick, radiator and tyre pressures (obviously when tyres are cold)
3) Show them the jack, spanner, spare, jacking points and how it all works. There won't always be a teenage lad to do it for them!
In fact, get THEM to do it themselves, as a 'test!'And ensure the wheel nuts are all tight, but not so tight that they can't be removed - as happens when put on by tyre-monkey.
4) ditto the fusebox, and relevant page in the manual!

Edited by Ian (Cape Town) on 05/12/2008 at 19:55

Cars for teenagers - woodster
Teach them where it's safe to change a wheel and the value of driving on and ruining a wheel and tyre if necessary...
Cars for teenagers - deepwith
Ian, they now have to be able to show how to do several of those checks as part of the practical test - but good to practise!
As they are girls, the insurance will be much more reasonable than for boys.
Our daughter happily learned on a 2.0 Mondeo estate and then borrowed it as well as sharing driving on long journeys. Her first own car is a Proton 1.4 Sprint which she is still driving several years later.
Our son drove a new shape Micra initially - we could not afford to insure him on the Mondeo or X-trail.
Cars for teenagers - Flying Red
I'm interested in this topic as my daughter is very keen to get mobile when she turns 17 soon.

I followed the suggestion above of putting her data into Confused.com. It quoted £1780 TPFT on a £1000 1.8 Mondeo LX and £1255 on a £1000 Citroen AX Debut.
Cars for teenagers - deepwith
Flying Red, if daughter is at home and drives your car occasionally, then it only cost £60 to put mine onto my insurance for a 2.0 Mondeo.
Cars for teenagers - ifithelps
How about a usable classic - a real Mini.

A well-sorted one would be reliable, cheaper than most to insure and have some retro cool.

They also go where you point them - nice and safe for a new driver.
Cars for teenagers - SpamCan61 {P}
How about a usable classic - a real Mini.
A well-sorted one would be reliable cheaper than most to insure and have some retro
cool.
They also go where you point them - nice and safe for a new driver.

.. And an NCAP rating of about minus 5 I should thinkl!
Cars for teenagers - Manatee
It's a while ago now, but my wife had an old Sierra 1.8. It cost very little to add my daughter on to the policy as a learner. When she passed her test it was a different story.
Cars for teenagers - cjehuk
I would suggest getting an insurance quote through Elephant or Bell directly - I have consistently been quoted less through them direct than through confused.com which sometimes refuses to cover me with them even though my insurance has been there for 4 years.

When I was 17 I found that Elephant were prepared to cover me on a much higher insurance group car than expected for much less than most, presumably on the basis that a young person that has spent £20k say on a car is likely to take much more care than one that has spent £200.

As for which car, well I would look at something like a Golf Mk.IV...
Cars for teenagers - Nsar
To the OP, you should have a look at www.youngmarmalade.co.uk - they provide a service aimed exactly at your needs.

I wish to disclose that I do some work for them and have had the permission of this site to mention their name.
Cars for teenagers - JohnM{P}
If safety is your top concern, then look at the crash results at euronacp.com.
As a generalisation, the older the car, the less safe and the more expensive to insure.
Regarding size, when Fifth Gear crashed a large old Volvo estate against a small Modus, the Modus driver would have walked away, the Volvo driver most certainly not. Safety design has come a long way in recent years...
(Fyi, when I was faced with the same choice for my daughter, for the budget I had available then, I went for a Lupo/Arosa)
Cars for teenagers - Flying Red
To the OP you should have a look at www.youngmarmalade.co.uk - they provide a service
aimed exactly at your needs.

I followed this link for a new C1 Rhythm (with a/c) and compared it with the cost of the C! from an online broker plus Confused's best quote for my daughter, same policy terms and benefits.

Youngmarmalade: £8782.56 incl. £595 for 12 months insurance - total £9377

Broker price £6556 plus £924.50 (Admiral) - total £7480

Hmm!
Cars for teenagers - gsb
Flying Red. If you didn't when you got quotes for your daughter, do the same quote again including mother as a named driver (assuming she drives) and or yourself. It certainly bought the premiums down on my daughters polo.
Cars for teenagers - 1400ted
My eldest girl passed test at 17 and all she wanted was an Austin A35 in black.
Got one, free road tax, £36 a year insurance, fully comp with breakdown cover.
We have 2 other oldies, the Jowett and a Renault F6C Fourgonnette. Both under £90 for same insurance package. Not for everyone but ultra cool in the college car park.
Ted
Tried a standard stereo in an A35 ;-) I thought "positive earth"
Cars for teenagers - FocusDriver
cardriver45

Listen to Ian (Cape Town) about getting your daughters to change a wheel, check dipstick etc. They'll probably think you're being "protective dad" again but it'll be invaluable when the inevitable happens on a cold wet night. You might even get an extra hug out of it.

I once stopped to offer help to two young women but was quickly waved on by them because, of course, I could have been anyone. They did the right thing IMO. But they were shivering and had their arms folded and didn't look like they were going anywhere. I'm assuming of course but if they had changed their wheel they wouldn't have needed to wave me on in the first place.

Loads of different opinions on the right car on this thread. I like the Modeo one. Very sensible. But newer superminis (like Citroen C1 or Hyundai i10) are well equipped, are safer than they look and chic to boot.

I wish you good luck.