2002 1.9D Not hot air - edddd1
Hi- The family ford focus has stopped blowing hot air from the heater (an 02 1.9 Diesel). A few weeks ago it did 'break down", where it lost power, and when the garage inspected it, they felt the water pump needed replacing, and also flushed the cooling system, removing a lot of crud, and replacing the thermostat (they did the cam belt at same time). My partner drives it more than me, and days before the breakdown had said the heater was not working well. When the garage did the work on it, they felt the heater had improved though wasn't brilliant, and suggested the heater matrix (at about £150 incl labour) may need doing to make the heater work as it should. We left it to see how it went, and of course it's been OK till the very cold spell and now it seems to not heat up at all!

Do people think it is the heater matrix etc? I've booked it in for next tuesday. I don't know a great deal about how cars work, so would like to be clued up a bit beforehand (though I do trust the garage).

Thanks for any help.

Edited by edddd1 on 03/12/2008 at 20:51

2002 1.9D Not hot air - jayeastanglia
it could be a heater control valve..or the heater matrix..
2002 1.9D Not hot air - elekie&a/c doctor
Crud in the cooling system is not good news for a heater matrix.You may be able to restore some heat by back flushing the heater system to try to dislodge some of the debris.There is no heater valve fitted to Focus models.hth
2002 1.9D Not hot air - topbloke
is the engine reaching a reasonable tempreture ? according to the dash gauge "should be running a bit cooler due to it being winter" if so you will need to check the tempreture of the two pipes going into the car, by that i mean the heater pipes, they will go through a valve, are they the same tempreture both sides, ie before and after the valve, if so its more likely to be poor ciculation due to "crud" if not then its more likely to be either the valve itself or the tempreture control on the dash board
2002 1.9D Not hot air - edddd1
Garage fitted a new heater matrix (£141 incl VAT and labour) and now does seem to be working just fine.

Edited by edddd1 on 19/12/2008 at 10:15