How long should I leave the car running for? - Rattle
Haven't started the car for a a good 48 hours due to the icy conditions, the bonnet now has about 1cm ice all over it, and there is snow due tonight. I am worried if I don't start it the battery might die. I don't want to quickly turn the engine over as that will just drain more current so how long should I leave the engine ideling for to give the battery a bit of charge?
How long should I leave the car running for? - Mr X
If it's a petrol with a cat, I thought doing what you suggest was bad for the cat ?
It is a petrol with a cat, I never knew that. The problem is I have no intention of using it tomorrow either, so thats Tuesday till Friday without in average temperatures of around 2c.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Statistical outlier
Unless you've got a charging system problem, or a duff battery, I can't see what the problem would be? You'll do far more damage running it for a few minutes.

I'd just ignore it until the weather is a bit less pants, it'll be fine.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Mr X
I don't think it's an old wives tale. Some one told me about the damage aspect when I said I had been shuttling a car in and out of my garage with out going anywhere in it.
How long should I leave the car running for? - GroovyMucker
Rattle, am I correct that you have a Corolla?

If so, I doubt you'll have any problem, unless you're still on your first battery.

My wife's 98 Corolla is on its second battery. It spends all its time outside. It starts every time.

Fiesta MK4 :).

Thanks I will just leave it well alone, not had any problems starting it yet so should be fine.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Pendlebury
If your particularly worried then you need a 6 ish mile run to top the battery up properly and ensure everything warms up and any water generated in the exhaust is burnt up.
I would of thought you would be ok though for a few more days yet.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Lud
If the battery is good and it always starts, don't start it until you want to drive it. If the battery's no good, get a jump start when the time comes. Anyway it won't mind being left in the cold for a couple of days.
How long should I leave the car running for? - oilrag
It will probably be warmer with no ice on Friday. I would leave it alone until then.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Blue {P}
It'll be fine, most cars can stand for several weeks in the cold without being started.

The only way you'll have a problem is if the battery is already duff, in which case it's better that you find out like this.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Mapmaker
If the battery is OK, then it won't matter, and starting it will do more harm than good.

If the battery is duff, you need a new one anyway.
How long should I leave the car running for? - L'escargot
.......... you need a 6 ish mile run to top the
battery up properly and ensure everything warms up .........

It takes more than 6 miles to bring the engine oil up to temperature.
How long should I leave the car running for? - leef
It takes more than 6 miles to bring the engine oil up to temperature.

It all depends on how long the 6 miles takes to complete. I'm about 6/7 miles away from work, the morning takes me around 15/20 minutes, probably not quite long enough for the oil to get to temperature. The way home takes me 45/50 minutes, the oil is at temperature.
How long should I leave the car running for? - Mutton Geoff
Some people wrongly assume a car (or other mechanical device) has the same tolerances as a human being! Just leave the thing and use it when you need to. Make sure it's protected with winter levels of anti freeze in the radiator and washer fluid.

How do you think the Scandies and Russians cope in their conditions?

You might not like to stand out all night in the winter weather, but don't worry, your car won't mind!

How long should I leave the car running for? - Alby Back
In the early part of 2000 we were still living 1000 ft above sea level in rural Scotland. Some will remember it got very cold that year. Our little hamlet was cut off from the outside world for nearly two weeks and the snow drifted to first floor window height. The night time air temperature dropped to -15C and the wind chill took it down to -27C a couple of times. Daytime temps never got into positive numbers. We had no power or light or water and my son was only weeks old. It was fairly hard.

The cars were completely buried in snow to way above roof level. At that time we had a Galaxy diesel and a Mondeo diesel estate. When a local farmer finally managed to clear a route to the main road with his bulldozer, we set about digging the cars out. It took us a day and half to move the hard frozen snow which had attained the consistancy of ice.

Both cars started and ran first time.

Wouldn't worry too much about a wee bit of frost and a light dusting of snow.

;-)
How long should I leave the car running for? - FotheringtonThomas
If the battery's not knackered, don't bother. If it is knackered, get a new one.

If you leave the car unused for weeks on end, buy a battery charger.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 04/12/2008 at 12:04