2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - AlastairW
The symptoms:
1. Slow turnover on the first start of the day - fine after that.
2. Lights dim slightly when ticking over, then brighten when you give it a few revs.
3. About 5-10 mins after setting off there is a clunk from the central locking, as if one of the deadlocks has finally received enough current to fully withdraw.

This is on a diet of mostly short (2 to 3 mile) trips. Symptoms seem to improve after a longer run. Two questions
1. If it is the battery, what make should I get - I know it has to be calcium for the smart charging?
2. If it isn't the battery what is it?

Thanks in advance
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - Screwloose

How old is the battery? Do you have access to a charger?
As far as I know it is the original battery, so just over eight years. Charging would be a bit awkward - I live in a flat.
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - rtj70
It's got very cold and your battery has problems.... so probably the battery.

Living in a flat or house makes no difference to charging. Get a charger, take the battery out and into the flat and try charging it overnight.

I did this a few years ago for my wife's Seicento - battery would not hold charge. Should have got the battery in the first place because I bought the charger (it did not properly charge) and the battery.

Might be worth going to an independent garage to get it checked? My wife also used to have a Polo (H plate) which started first time every time. At MOT time they checked the battery and it showed too little voltage to power the car etc. But it was and we drove away after passing the MOT.

Edited by rtj70 on 30/11/2008 at 22:01

2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - Screwloose

Eight years old? Bin it.

Dodgy batteries just aren't worth taking risks with; it will let you down when you need it most. You've had your money's worth - treat it to a nice new calcium one and then see if you still have a problem.

[Just have the keys in your pocket when changing it.]
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - MikeTorque
Agree with Screwloose, get a new battery ASAP, and ensure you know what your Radio security code is before disconnecting your battery, the code will need to be re-entered into the Radio after the new battery is fitted.
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - Falkirk Bairn
Agree with Screwloose get a new battery ASAP

Is it a sealed for life battery? It might have a battery condition indicator on it - it works on the strength of the acid.

If it is not a sealed battery it might just need a top up of water -distilledwater is cheaper than a battery
Thanks for all your answers. Its due its MOT and annual big service this month, so I will get it sorted then.
BTW, by big service I mean a proper looking at - it gets an interim oil change each June too.
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - mikej
If it's an OEM Ford battery, then don't rely on the indicator to tell you the state of it.

Mine showed green, despite having the sweeping-dials issue that pointed towards a duff battery. It was later confirmed to have a dead cell, despite the indicator showing green and therefore implying it was fine.

My orginal battery lasted nearly 9 years / 81k miles before I changed it for a Halfords Calcium battery earlier this year.

BTW - my 9 year-old Focus door motors have a mind of their own too and occasionally twitch/lock when driving. A new battery didn't sort that problem out for me - it's most likely a dodgy driver's door motor in my case.

If I was you, I'd replace the battery and see what happens with that issue, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't solve the problem.
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - TurboD
you have done well for a Ford battery to last 8 years. If you are going to get rid in a couple of years , get a cheap one from Partco - say- probably between £30/£40.
Is it worth the hassle of thinking- will it start
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - jc2
I have a Ford with the original battery just coming upto nine years old-Jan 2000(kiss of death)-sealed but no indicator-starts my diesel when it's used about once a fortnight but I don't do short drives in it-usually 15 ml. minimum.
Update
New calcium battery fitted today as part of the annual service. £70 + vat, with a 3 year warranty. The engine spins noticeably faster on the starter, though the proof of the pudding will be in the morning. I almost hope it will be frosty..
2000 1.8 Do I need a new battery? - MikeTorque
Should be fine now and even better once the battery has been fully charged.