03 1.3 Steering Pump noise & shaft end float - normy

53,000miles. Noise developed from what I thought was the steering pump, mostly a moan. Not silly loud but it developed over about a fortnight. It's most pronouced when stopped-parked- and revved, though when driving it would be masked by other noises anyway.

I removed the serpentine belt and found that the steering pump had 30thou. - .75mm. - endplay on the shaft. I assumed that there was excessive wear in the pump and that would be the reason for the noise.

I acquired a reconditioned pump from my local factors and found that that pump shaft had 21thou. end float. I tried to find out from the pump suppliers, via the factors, if this was normal - but didn't get a definitive answer.

I fitted the recon. pump and there is still a noise, not really the same as before, but quite close.

Whilst the belt was off I felt/checked the water pump, alternator and and the pulleys and they felt fine. No aircon.

Does anyone know if there should be that sought of end float on the shaft - or any end float come to that? Or any other thoughts?