worlds largest diesel engine - woodster
Does anybody share my fascination with this - the worlds largest diesel engine, including pictures of the build. Sits in the Emma Maersk container ship, I think.

people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Sorry, I'm not very computer literate but paste this in your browser. hopefully!
worlds largest diesel engine - Lud
You, or someone else, posted this before woodster. Yes, the engine is very fine, and very efficient too I note.
worlds largest diesel engine - rtj70
This has been discussed several times before when "biggest engine" etc. was discussed. I posted in a IHAQ thread with this same very URL when someone was talking about the size of engine in the Queen Mary II:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65585&...f

For that reason it's been discussed a few times before so might be eventually made read only if it keeps going over old ground ;-). If anyone has an issue send me an email.

Only trying to avoid some of us (including me) feeling we have to post the same answers that can be found in a Forum Search.

Edited by rtj70 on 28/11/2008 at 20:10

I wonder if it has a DPF though ;-)
worlds largest diesel engine - Armitage Shanks {p}
I too am fascinated by these vast diesel engines! My interest is well served by the Discovery channels. I recall a programme about an engine built in Croatia which was something over 100,000 hp and about the same ft/lbs of torque. Ran at 80 rpm! They must be very relaible if ships are going around with only one of them installed!
worlds largest diesel engine - daveyjp
If cars had engineers constantly under the bonnet tweaking things and carrying out continual services they'd be just as reliable.
My figures are slightly wrong and I wasn't in time to edit my earler post! Here is a link to the world's biggest diesel engine. Vast HP and torque and 102 rpm - sorry

people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 28/11/2008 at 20:30

That's the same URL that woodster started the thread with AS. And the thread is also a clue in being "world's largest diesel engine" ;-) Not only did I think this thread might repeat old threads, it has already gone round to the beginning.

Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 28/11/2008 at 20:38

Sorry, I had no idea this had been posted before. Doesn't stop my fascination with the sheer scale of the thing. I think it stems from working on a farm from the age of 12 and having two old Muir-Hill 4 wheel drive tractors. One of which would be taken apart each winter, down to the pistons. So began the fascination with the size of the moving parts. One of my neighbours is a director of Maersk shipping and I await his offer to get me into the engine room of one of the large ships. Since they run the Emma I remain hopeful of a visit at Felixstowe. I'll be sure to let you all know. Can you imagine if you could see through the cylinder walls, those huge pistons would still be up and down faster than the eye could follow?
Incidentally, how is this engine started? I assume a slave engine is used, which itself must be huge, but it must take an age to get heat into the larger engine, sufficient for it to run alone. Any knowledge?
worlds largest diesel engine - billy25
>>it must take an age to get heat into the larger engine, sufficient for it to run alone.<<

well i deduce from your link that burning 1600+ gallons of fuel per hour, in 14 38" bore cylinders = a lot of heat, and in a greater than 50% thermally efficient engine, it may not take as long as you would think. each "bang" must be a big one and generate plenty of heat.

Billy
worlds largest diesel engine - L'escargot
Incidentally how is this engine started?

Perhaps it uses compressed air which is fed into the cylinders to spin it up to a speed at which it will start. Certainly this is how some large diesels used to be started when I were nobbut a lad.
Rjt et al - my apologies for duplicate links and other manifestations of senile decay! It is a huge engine though isn't it??!!
worlds largest diesel engine - Kiwi Gary
Probably targetted at the bigger box boats, but M.A.N. - Burmeister & Wain have on offer the K108ME-C6 at 1080 mm bore 2660 mm stroke rated for 130,000 horses at 94 rpm. I don't know whether anyone has bought one yet, but the battle between Wartsilla - Sulzer, and MAN- B&W is similar to that between Rolls Royce and General Electric over who has the most powerful gas turbine.

Very tenuous motoring link - these big diesels run on refinery dregs at present, but the E.U. is bringing in regulations that will make the use of such fuels difficult because of the garbage in them, mainly sulphur. The political solution is to run them on refined diesel. The practical matter is that there is insufficient diesel refining capacity world-wide to supply the merchant fleet, and insufficient time within the political framework to increase capacity. Will the owners of diesel cars be sacrificed to trade ??
worlds largest diesel engine - mrmender
Compreseed air is admited to the cylinders in a timed sequence usualy at about 20 to 30 Bar
The engine is also started in reverse for going astern
Oh btw i am a qualified & serving marine engineer for my sins
Anyother questions :)?
worlds largest diesel engine - John F
>>
Anyother questions :)?

Yes. Have you got any photos of it being carried out of the factory, up the gangway, and down through hatch into the engine room?
worlds largest diesel engine - mrmender

NO LOL!
They built up in an assembly shop then tested run for some time then dissasembled & fitted to the ship in bits>
worlds largest diesel engine - zookeeper
the battery must take one heck of a "hit" when heating up the glow plugs
worlds largest diesel engine - martint123
I read "in the press" that the fuel consumption of the QE2 on it's way to the Far East resting place was 1 foot per gallon. Twaddle. It's 50 feet per gallon (or 0.00947 MPG)

worlds largest diesel engine - mattbod
I believe they are referred to as Cathedal Diesels. Robbie Coltrane covered them in a series he did on engines a while back: Coltrane's Planes and Automobiles. The DVD is available and you can see one running both in factory and installed.