1998 1.2 Intermittent Starting - Mr. Wolf
Hi, ive got a 1998 1.2 petrol clio which has intemittent starting issues. Ive read many posts on this site with the same problem but with different engines etc. Basically the engine cranks over fine on the starter, but when the problem occurrs the engine shows no attempt of starting. After three or four attempts the engine usually fires up. Ive read some posts on this website which recommend replacing the CTS (coolant temp sensor, however this was on a car with the older dizzy type ignition system) and flywheel sensor (Which was off a car wit a 16v engine). As the engine in my car is only 8 valve with a distribuitor-less ignition system i dont know if these parts would cause the same faults. When the engine is running it has plenty of power, no signs of fuels starvation or missfiring. I have also heard of problems with the immobilliser unit, i found this on the car, situated next to the interior light. The immobillisecircuit board did look corroded, however the engine started even when i unplugged the immobliser circuit board, so obviously my immobilliser seems to have no use. Any help would be appeciated.

Ta

Mr. Wolf
1998 1.2 Intermittent Starting - Screwloose

You car definitely still has both a CTS and a crank [flywheel/TDC] sensor.

The alarm receiver doesn't sound in good condition; has it's immobilizer function [such as it is] been disabled?