99 1.9 won't start - jonny5
brought xantia was told cambelt gone have checked i think ok but not sure any easy way of checking.also have changed glow plugs and checked voltage across them that's ok so a little bit stuck now hope some1 has ideas.thanks
99 1.9 won't start - Peter.N.
Does the engine turn over? If it turns faster than normal the cam belt has probably broken or slipped and quite likely broken the camshaft. You will have to take the rocker cover off to see. Release the top cam belt cover and you will be able to see if the belt is broken.

Edited by Peter.N. on 27/11/2008 at 11:43

thank you peter. have had a look cambelt looks intact and turned engine over with top cam cover lifted away and belt turns round no sign of any problems with it . any ideas any body ?
99 1.9 won't start - Screwloose

Does it fire on Easi-start or brake cleaner? Do you get any diesel if you crack an injector union?
hi screwloose,haven't tried easy start or brake cleaner,is it any good have heard that cars get addicted to it !!!!
is it good or bad if i crack an injector union and get diesel?
thank you for your help hope to hear from you ,jonny 5.
hi is nobody got any more ideas about my car have posted a message about an injector union not sure wether it's good news or bad !!! hope you can help thanx , jonny 5 .
99 1.9 won't start - mjm
jonny5

Try going onto the www.frenchcarforum and asking there. Do a forum search and you'll find chapter and verse.

HTH
99 1.9 won't start - Peter.N.
One aplication of easystart won't hurt your engine but its a very simple way of testing its integrity. If it fires up albeit briefly, you have a fuel supply problem. Does it have a key pad? if so is it doing what it is supposed to? It may be that the fuel solonoid isn't opening.
thanks peter.n. for replying ok will try easy start and let you know.
it does not have a key pad . i've about the fuel solonoid is there any way of checking it and where abouts it ,.
99 1.9 won't start - hm
Sorry mate, reading your thread and just want to be clear..

you have a 1.9TD, purchased with suspected cambelt issue.... no probs.

everything apprears to be ok, but the car simply will not start..

Does it turn over freely? yes or no
Does it fire then die, ir just turn over.........
Any smoke out the old exhaust.......

These will help clear this issue up pretty fast.. could be a number of problems..

Cam Belt skipped a tooth or two....
Stop Solenoid stuck closed....
Imobliser problem (if fitted think so but not sure)

If you could answer the questions above we will be well away and hopefully have you going?

Edited by hm on 08/12/2008 at 21:06

99 1.9 won't start - glowplug
It's a long shot but you could check if the inertia switch (if fitted) has tripped. Usually mounted on the suspension turret side, look for a rubber topped large sized relay type thing.

A compression check would be a good start to investigating the cambelt issue.

Steve.
hi steve have had a look there is no inertia switch on my T reg citreon.but there is one on my R reg citreon thank you for your help.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/12/2008 at 18:42

it turns over freely
does not fire,just turns over
no smoke out off exhaust
although exhaust pipe does vibrate
nothing happens when pressing accelerater pedal
thank you for your help .look forward to hearing from you
99 1.9 won't start - glowplug
I would have thought all 'modern' cars have inertia switches. Anyhow have you tried loosening 1 injector/pipe connection and getting a helper to crank the engine? If you're getting fuel then either the cold start circuit isn't working (glowplugs, relay, etc) or there's something wrong such as the timing has slipped leading to the fuel being injected at the wrong time or the valves have been damaged leading to a lose of compression.

If you aren't getting fuel from the loosened injector pipe then look at the cutoff valve on the injection pump, if it isn't getting a live feed then there's no fuel flow to start the engine.

Steve.
99 1.9 won't start - Dynamic Dave
I would have thought all 'modern' cars have inertia switches.

Vauxhall models don't have them.
99 1.9 won't start - David Horn
Not really any need on a diesel, is there?
99 1.9 won't start - hm
Jonny,

Please read it all mate.. I have a question at the bottom that means all the first bit is sh!te. :0)

now we're getting somewhere.....still guessing 1.9TD.... now I can answer one of your eariler questions regarding getting fuel by cracking off an injector.

Crack of an injector hear (guess 17mm spanner) just loosen, not completely undo.
Turn the engin over...... is there diesel running around the injector, I'm not talking a dribble, there should be a good amount... YES or NO

With you comments about no smoke or even attempt to fire I'm willing to bet there is not. This would lead me to take a look at the stop solenoid mounted on the injector pump... check there is 12V feed to it with the ignition on... - YES or NO

If yes I suggest removing the solenoid from the pump (prob a 22 or 24mm) you will see a plunger... if possible take this out and replace the solenoid.....

get back in her and turn her over... giving it some throttle... is she no firing? YES OR NO?

WARNING - IF THE CAR STARTS THERE IS A VERY CHANCE SHE WILL NOT STOP WITH THE KEY TURN OFF, YOU WILL NEED TO STALL IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

One other question - does the motor have an immobiliser fitted? horrid key pad.. I'm not 100 sure on your year or motor...? YES or NO.... are you sure it is deactivated?

Sorry for the long post and lots of questions.... sounds like you hav fuel issue..

Could be stop solenoid
Could be immoblizer
Could be timing throwing the pump out creating a fuel issue..
Could be none of the above and I could be talking crap.. your call :0)

Let me know the above.

Laters

H

99 1.9 won't start t - glowplug
According to the haynes book all xantias after dec 94 are fitted with inertia switches.
Left hand rear corner for mechanical diesels and right hand rear for the others.
I'd check against the bulkhead right in the corners.
Do diesels need them? I'd ask any biker that's come off on a diesel spill following
An accident.

I'm surprised to find it's not the law that they must be fitted. Good way to stop
An engine if the key won't.

Sorry if the formattings rough, I'm using my phone.

Steve.
99 1.9 won't start t - jonny5
hi glowplug thanks for replying. your format isnt rough thank you for your help i will get back to you .
jonny 5.
thanks for replying hm. i will have a look at the points you have mentioned and get back to you . thanks for your continued help.
Ihad a look at the injector union and there's no fuel coming out when I turn engine over. So need to look at solenoid I think but can't find it can you help Please.
hi hm. apparantly i have to cut off cover on stop solenoid is that so ? but you make it sound quite simple . sorry to be so blunt. any one know where it is exactly ? just a side issue i have another citroen xantia 1.9 td r reg . sad eh ! but anyway i`m having trouble starting it in the morning or anytime after it`s been off for a long time , even if it`s been started during the day. it turns over and lots ,i meen lots of grey to black smoke pouring out off exhaust big puffs of black smoke every time it kicks before it starts . not sure what it is had car over a year now never had any trouble with starting . hope somebody has an idea hopefully something simple .thanks for reading all , j5.
99 1.9 won't start - thomp1983
you'll only need to cut the cover if it's a lucas fuel pump, the bosch unit you can change the wiring.

as for your other car probably 1 or more glow plugs have failed.

chris
hi chris thanx for replying i thought you need to replace the stop solenoid ,would changing the wiring make the solenoid work then ? sorry to sound so not clever . also on other citroen i took out one of the glow plugs and it covered in oil is this normal ?
cos that one has stopped working altogether now

jonny5
99 1.9 won't start - jc2
Inertia switches should only be fitted to vehicles with an electric pump powered thro' the ignition;it is there to stop fuel being pumped from the tank in the case of a serious accident.Not all vehicles used an inertia switch-some used a relay powered from the ignition system-if there was no signal from the ignition system-ie.engine not rotating,the relay switched the pump off.Some use the flywheel(crankshaft) sensor to do the same.The laws regarding this go back to the 70's-fuel supply MUST be cut off if the engine stops.

Edited by jc2 on 01/01/2009 at 10:43

Hi everyone regarding my R reg citroen I've changed my glow plugs and it starts gr8 like never before except I accidently snapped the t shaped pipe for the coolant system oops, overheating a little and my silver T reg definetly won't start as it has no glow plugs LOL Think it's a donor car now :0) Getting there eh
fixed my r reg citroen now after using my t reg citroen as a donor car again , don`t think i`ll ever get this car started. never mind !i might use it to find out where stop solenoid is as still can`t locate it . anyway thinks for your help in solving my problems .